View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Great George Street Congregational Chapel (the Blackie)

Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post
    I am constantly on the lookout for relevant articles of historic interest to add to this web page, and try to avoid mundane stories that people have heard many times before, on a recent bus journey into Liverpool I passed the ‘Blackie’ and remembering various snippets of its history, made a mental note to find out what its current status was. Well, I have been pleasantly surprised, a lot has happened there.

Tags: blackie Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Empire Theatre - A History

The Empire Theatre that we all now know, on Lime Street in Liverpool, opened on the 9th March 1925, with the opening production of 'Better Days', starring Stanley Lupino, Maisie Gay and Ruth French.

Prior to the building of the present day Empire, another theatre once stood on the site, The New Prince of Wales Theatre and Opera House which opened
  3. 'How the light gets in' - Edward Fitzmaurice Chambré Hardman

E. Chambré Hardman was born in 1898 in Dublin, Ireland. The only son of the keen amateur photographer Edward Hardman, E. Chambré Hardman took his first photographs aged nine and went on to win many photographic competitions during his time at St. Columba's College in County Dublin.
    From the age of eighteen, he spent four years as a regular officer in the 8th Gurkha Rifles in India where he would eventually be promoted to lieutenant. While on active duty at the foothills of the Himalayas,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Captain William Frank Bramhill

One of the greatest rewards I get from writing articles and publishing photographs both on the 'Liverpool Picturebook' website and on the 'Facebook' pages is the feedback that I get from readers. Even more rewarding is when those readers are able to make a contrtibution to the site either in terms of a personal story or by contributing photographs.

Such was the case recently when I was contacted via 'Facebook' by William Bramhill, whos Father served on the 'Indefatigable' mentioned
  5. Liverpool street names the slavery connection

Liverpool Street Names

Liverpool street names have in the past become a contentious issue , due to the fact that many commemorate individuals who prospered from the slave trade. In this article we will look at some of those streets – and how it was that they came to have places and streets named after them. Some believe that streets were not named after people because they were slavers. They were honoured in this way because they were landowners, decision makers, politicians, patrons
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast