View RSS Feed

dazza

1. F.W.Woolworth & Co. Ltd. - Church Street, Liverpool

I've put together two sheets representing F.W.Woolworth & Co Ltd 1st & 2nd stores, in Church Street, Liverpool.

The 1st UK Store [1909-1923] at 25 & 25a Church Street, Liverpool was already an existing building before F.W.Woolworth & Co. Ltd came to the city. According to Joseph Sharples, author of Liverpool, Pevsner Architectural Guides describes it as:

'the Italianate shop now occupied by Clarkes was designed by Lewis Hornblower, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. St Peter's Church, Church Street, Est.1704

^ St Peter's Church, Church Street, c.1900's (LRO).

I remember reading somewhere that the design for St. Peter's Church, Church Street [consecrated 1704] was based on Wren's rebuilding of St. Andrew's Church, Holborn, London [1686]. I can't remember where I read this, but has intriged me ever since. I took some pictures of St Andrew's for comparison.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 'The Dingle' glen, in old photographs

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Hi guys, I thought I'd share with you some old photo's that I've collected of the Dingle area. It features Dingle glen, which was a wooded valley and natural beauty spot leading right down to the Mersey. More notoriously, it was the site of the last duel to be fought in Liverpool - between Mr Sparling, of St. Domingo house, and Mr Grayson, an eminent ship builder, on Sunday morning, 7.00am 24th February, 1804. I've also included some maps and photo's to help you get your bearings. I hope you enjoy,
    Categories
    Uncategorized