View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

A site dedicated to photographs and History of old Liverpool

1. The Florence Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Edwards View Post
    The Florence Institute – affectionately known as 'The Florrie' – celebrated its official re-opening on 18 July 2012. Closed for over 20 years, the 19th-century Jacobean-style building in Toxteth is the oldest surviving purpose-built youth clubs in the UK.

Probably designed by H W Keef, it was built in 1889 by Sir Bernard Hall, a West Indies merchant, Alderman and former Mayor of Liverpool. His daughter Florence died while in Paris at the age of 22 and he built this boys' club
  2. Liverpool Charities

For my three-hundredth article for the 'Liverpool Picturebook' website I have decided to take a look at some of the charitable work that began in the city more than 300 years ago. We can trace this back to the 17th Century and it is amazing how, over the years, the number of charitable institutions in Liverpool grew to aid the population.

The earliest Liverpool charities, were the almshouses. In 1684 twelve almshouses were built by David Poole near the bottom of Dale Street;
    Tags: charities Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Arthur Hugh Clough

Arthur Hugh Clough - 1 January 1819 – 13 November 1861

Arthur Hugh Clough was born on 1 January 1819 in Rodney Street, Liverpool, the second son of James Butler Clough (1784–1844), a Liverpool cotton merchant of Welsh extraction, and Anne Perfect (died, 1860), the daughter of a Yorkshire banker. There seems to have been considerable
  4. Liverpool Picturebook Updates

As part of an ongoing update of the website I have added more than 800 photographs to the site over the last four days.

So far I have updated Liverpool 1, Liverpool 2 Liverpool 3, and today have added 100 images to Liverpool 4.

Keep checking back as I update all the photographs for all the districts.

5. In the Liverpool Parks - 1902

In the Liverpool Parks - 1902

Our final article in the the excerpts from 'An Illustrated Guide To Liverpool - 1902' takes us on a walk around the Parks of Liverpool.

Liverpolitans can congratulate themselves in possessing so many beautiful Parks. The visitor will find it a simple matter to reach any of these delightful spots by taking advantage of the excellent system of electric trams, or by a short railway journey.

Tags: 1902, parks Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast