Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On the Benefits of Having a British Accent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Tourism Planning.
    They had a very lucky escape - Mike Storey was due to speak to them but cancelled at the last minute.
    What did they like so much about Liverpool in the place not the people? I see the place differently to outsiders.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-19-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    What did they like so much about Liverpool in the place not the people? I see the place differently to outsiders.
    History & culture - museums and art gallery (they were amazed there was so much available), buildings, Albert Dock, Beatles Museum.
    In short - so much to see and do.

But also, being 20-year-olds, the atmosphere in bars and clubs.

Blog Entries

History & culture - museums and art gallery (they were amazed there was so much available), buildings, Albert Dock, Beatles Museum.
    In short - so much to see and do.

But also, being 20-year-olds, the atmosphere in bars and clubs.
    They may have been surprised thinking Liverpool was the back of beyond, but "amazed"? Coming up from London, Liverpool is quite small fry when it comes to museums, etc.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-19-2008 at 12:47 PM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Amazed is about right. Most of what they'd heard about Liverpool was based upon stereotypical negativeness. They discovered that the reality is somewhat different.

When we left by coach on the Friday, heading back to London, several stayed behind to enjoy the weekend.

Blog Entries

Amazed is about right. Most of what they'd heard about Liverpool was based upon stereotypical negativeness. They discovered that the reality is somewhat different.

When we left by coach on the Friday, heading back to London, several stayed behind to enjoy the weekend.
    Where did you take them? I have to take some people to Liverpool soon. I am not up on what is the best pub/bar/club etc.

About the stereotype, I took some French people to Liverpool last summer..here is my post on it..

I went to the Lake District for over a week in July with some French people. On the way up we stopped off in Chester for a night, which they liked. I decide to drop into Liverpool on the way to the Lakes. I never told them. They thought Liverpool was a poor slum not knowing anything about the place apart from the Beatles and that I was from there.

I entered via the Runcorn bridge and went to Woolton showing them the village and John Lennon's house, then Paul McCartney's house, Strawberry Field, then through the leafy suburbs with huge mature oak trees everywhere and through parks to Aigburth then along Riverside drive to the Albert Dock for coffee. They were very impressed with the Albert Dock and with the level of construction, and wondered what the church was with the birds on top - one is from elegant Paris. I was giving running commentaries: the French wall, the dock system, the American connections, the 1.3 million Irish who entered in the famine, etc.

The three Graces impressed them. They were amazed at the size of the cathedral - I told them "the world's largest tower and largest Gothic arches". They were impressed with the red colour not having seen red sandstone churches before - never occurred to me it was that different. I pointed out the world's largest brick building too - the the Tobacco warehouse.

I stopped outside Oriel Chambers and pointed out it that it was the first steel framed glass curtain walled building in the world and all modern building are generally based on it. One said, "it is a very important building then". They were impressed at seeing the White Star Line Building (the Titanic).

I told them about most of the centre being a World Heritage site and buffer zone. They said "how come Liverpool has all these wonderful buildings and supposed to be so poor?" I told them it was one on the richest cities in the world at one time - they were surprised but replied, "it all fits as poor cities do not have buildings like there are here". We went out via Riverside Drive, Rose Lane, Penny Lane and Queens Drive and the M62. We drove through miles and miles of Liverpool and not a slum in sight anywhere. They liked the red sandstone walls around buildings in the south end of the city.

On the way home to France, I overheard them saying to others that they were very impressed with Liverpool and never expected it to be so nice.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Didn't take them to any clubs or bars - they found them themselves.

Good source:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/e...ent/nightlife/

Blog Entries

Didn't take them to any clubs or bars - they found them themselves.

Good source:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/e...ent/nightlife/
    Which areas did they stick to? Albert Dock? Matthew St? Hardman St? Which areas did they like the best?

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Which areas did they stick to? Albert Dock? Matthew St? Hardman St? Which areas did they like the best?
    Didn't work that way. They split up into groups and moved around, different people liking different things. I think a lot of them eventually ended up in the Slater St area.

On the Wednesday night we all went for a meal in Pizza Express (Dale St?). I was paying the bill for all of us (44 people but not my own money) and the gaffer really looked after us with freebie bottles of wine. I guess a group of 44 on a Wed night is quite a bonus!

When we left, three of the girls (one Finn, one Slovakian, one half Brazilian/half Italian) declared they were going to take me and get me pished.
    Went across the road to a pub a mate runs but for some reason it was closed. Ended up round the corner in my regular hangout in the 70's - The Grapes in Matthew St. It was a great night. Lots of Liverpool and Porto fans ended up there after Porto had won that night, and the atmosphere was great. Fans singing and drinking together and swapping scarves. The students couldn't believe the friendly atmosphere between the opposing fans.
    Each time one of the girls went to the bar they'd come back with a few more men in tow - we ended up quite a large group.

After several pints, they started bringing back Sambuccas as well, which we had to down in one. They certainly got me pished but they were in such a state before that happened that they didn't realise they'd achieved their objective.

My capacity of alcohol became legendary. I never admitted how far gone I was as they were too drunk to notice!

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    I don't have a British accent, I speak pure Scouse.

I speak/spoke Scouse when I moved here but realised that no-one can understand me, so the 'old BBC' accent comes out for them. Every time I talk: to my mum from Garston, I have to revert to the accent or she doesn't understand me at all

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

In New York (and in USA in general) the Americans ask me, or tell me I am English but when I meet fellow Brits they think I am Welsh!!!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Pennylane

Some dimwits in Formby can't even understand me , they keep saying ' sorry sorry' ! Whats all that about , My Irish friends have no problem understanding me , besides i sound hundred times worse if i try to put the talk on , i don't put me H's were ther is H-is none , i think i have a nice voice ...

Blog Entries

What language were you using? My mother was a Formby girl, and when I used to come home from sea, as a young lad, she would
    berate me for sounding like a "Bootle Buck." Dad was a Bootle boy, but I guess she had become accustomed to his accent.

The only English accent that may have any value over here, is the refined "Oxford" type, and that only when seeking a butlers job. It cut no ice in the Canadian Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Some dimwits in Formby can't even understand me , they keep saying ' sorry sorry' ! Whats all that about , My Irish friends have no problem understanding me , besides i sound hundred times worse if i try to put the talk on , i don't put me H's were ther is H-is none , i think i have a nice voice ...
    So do I - or should I say, 'did I'? But I can't hear it any more... You've left us Pennyless.

My brother was on holiday in San Diego and two girls thought his accent was cute when they asked him if he could take their pic when at the SD Zoo. Someone else I used to speak to online moved to Oklahoma from Huyton and they were saying her accent was cute too so it seems Merseyside accents have some benefit in the US!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
    What language were you using? My mother was a Formby girl, and when I used to come home from sea, as a young lad, she would
    berate me for sounding like a "Bootle Buck." Dad was a Bootle boy, but I guess she had become accustomed to his accent.

The only English accent that may have any value over here, is the refined "Oxford" type, and that only when seeking a butlers job. It cut no ice in the Canadian Army.
    ha,ha, that's something my nan used to say if some one was 'common' - that they were a buck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast