Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Liverpool Welsh ( A happy thread )

Totally agree Shytalk, Scouse is a great & friendly accent. Good on you for keeping your accent for all these years. By now there must be a slight twang of American in there by now though surely?. You probably sound Scouse to Americans but American to us LOL. It's facinating that you are the other side of the world but can keep in touch with everything on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by pennymeadow View Post
    By now there must be a slight twang of American in there by now though surely?. You probably sound Scouse to Americans but American to us LOL
    YERWOT?

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default Klondyke Bill, Mayor of Bootle.

This may be of interest to those that missed it the first time around:?

Llwydiarth Fawr on Anglesey - home of the Mayor of Bootle
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Thanks for that link - it's an interesting site.

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    YERWOT?
    Quite a nice cultured scouse accent Shy is that for the benefit of your American friends. Where I come from its YERWO. In one of your previous threds you wrote about your shop in Gramby St and the cobblers shop, I knew the chap in the cobblers he was an old friend of mine Charlie Riely aka (Ike). At that time I managed the Vine Hotel on the corner of Vine and Faulkner streets. That was in the early sixtys.

Smile

I have Welsh ancestors going back to the 1800s. I have an ancestor from Overton in what was then Flintshire, probably another that later married into that family who was called Jones and an ancestor from Laugharne in South Wales.

Col

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Don't think I have seen this thread before. Do I qualify to post (if I have not already, haven't read back very far!)

My Grandmother was of Welsh heritage.

We went to Wales so many weekends every year. Most of my childhood photos are taken in Wales.

I belong to the St. David's society here in Manhattan and I am on the list for Welsh Assembly events. Last year Aeronwy Thomas came to read her own and her father Dylan's poetry. I had a few drinks with her and her husband, she said she gives Welsh classes at home. Sadly she died recently.

Cymru am byth

Roni
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Smile

Dylan Thomas has links to Laugharne in South Wales where one of my Welsh ancestors came from.

Col

George

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Mark, have a look at the book " Building the Industrial City" edited by Martin Doughty, pub 1986. It has a very interesting chapter on " The Welsh Influence on the Building Industry in Victorian Liverpool". It seems most of the 100,000 houses built in Liverpool in the 19th C were built mainly because of Welsh initiative and enterprise using building materials from North Wales
    Hell! no wonder me house is in a sorry state.

I was under the impression all building materials came from local quarry's in Liverpool,reason being it was cheaper to extract and transport Sandstone from them.

Default Liverpool evacuees

Woman's memories of Second World War impact on North Wales
    Sep 1 2009
    by Andrew Gilpin, Daily Post

IT was the moment the nation had dreaded: On September 3, 70 years ago, Britain was left with no choice but to declare war on Germany.

Thus began the deadliest military conflict in history in which more than 60 million people were killed. A terrible era which helped shape the modern Britain and Europe of today.

Among the horror came unforgettable tales of courage and stoicism: Dunkirk, the D-Day landings, the Blitz.

When war was declared, its impact on North Wales was immediate. The sky did not fill with enemy planes nor did bombs rain down.

But a pervading sense of fear bordering on panic set in everywhere. And in what proved ? at first ? to be a huge over-reaction, North Wales was swamped with thousands of evacuees pouring in from the Liverpool area.

Most were children, wrenched away from their families, not knowing where they were being sent.

Local people did their bit and helped look after youngsters. Yet many soon went back when the expected bomb attacks on Liverpool failed initially to materialise.

Laurette Danson MBE, a lifelong resident of Colwyn Bay, has good reason to be upset.

?Many evacuees went back to Liverpool. It was very sad because they went back to the bombing,? she says. ?We had five evacuees in our house ? five of the little things. A brother and a sister were taken back by their mother and father and we heard that they were killed by a bomb a fortnight after returning.

?The youngest of the five children was seven, and there was a little girl of five. She looked like butter wouldn?t melt in her mouth but she ran the gang. Bless her, she went back and she was killed.

?The parents, they sent these children so they would be safe but then there are sitting at home and thinking ?I want them back and we will all be together?. They either came or sent for them to go back and back they went.?

Mrs Danson, now in her 80s and still an active member of Colwyn Bay Town Council, can clearly remember the day war broke out.

?My parents and my elder sister and I were sitting in our drawing room listening to the wireless. Mr Chamberlain came on and he said that the country was at war. It was an awful thing to hear this country was at war. My parents, they were even more distressed. I was a teenager at the time.

?This town was inundated with evacuees from Liverpool and the people of Colwyn Bay received them into their homes. It was the law of the land and you had to take them in.

?They sent trainload after trainload of children coming in. My sister and I went along and met the trains and helped take the little ones to people?s houses,? recalls Mrs Danson.

Months later, as the bombs started to fall on Liverpool, she looked across the sea to a city on fire.

Then there were the little things you would notice ? for instance, iron railings around houses taken away to be smelted down for ammunition.

Amid the gloom was a ray of sunshine. Soldier Anthony Danson was stationed nearby and was befriended by her family. She got on well with him and he became her future husband with whom she had four children.

A sense of defiance in the face of evil has never left Mrs Danson.

?This was our land. It was awful, but we were all very patriotic. That was the wonderful part about it, we were as one. Sadly I don?t see it today,? she says.

?We all stood together to protect this land and it meant something to us, Britain. It didn?t matter whether you were Liberal or Labour, you stood together.?

Major Basil Heaton, farmer of the Rhual estate near Mold, played a key role in the Normandy landings on D-Day in 1944.

He was the first off his landing craft on Gold Beach amid sniping and machine gun fire from defending Germans. It was the start of a long, exhausting but successful day in which his men helped secure the beachhead.

But five years earlier, Major Heaton, now 85, was a schoolboy in his mid teens. He was back home from boarding school enjoying a summer holiday on September 3.

?I remember it quite clearly. It was a lovely, sunny day. We heard the announcement in the library. We all said good Lord, we were frightened the bombs would come straight down.

?That afternoon, my father and mother started packing. My father went back to the Royal Navy in Liverpool, from which he had retired.

?My mother went to Prestatyn to command a company of the Woman?s Auxiliary Territorial Service and my brother and I were rather left on our own. We were at home because it was the summer holidays but we then returned to boarding school.

?Within a few days or weeks around eight to 10 evacuees arrived from Liverpool, although I think they went back after a few weeks. They didn?t like it at all. They weren?t country people, they wanted to go back.?

But the Heatons? large farmhouse wasn?t left alone for long. It soon become a land army hostel with Army girls living there for the rest of the war ?taking over half the house,? recalls Major Heaton.

?I had no doubt I would follow them. When I left school I joined up straightaway. I felt positive about it. It had to be done. The country pulled together. Whether it would pull together now I don?t know. There was a terrific feeling of comradeship.?

Derrick Pratt, a North Wales historian now living in Welsh Frankton, grew up in Wrexham.

His first memory of the war as a youngster of 12 is that of his father leaving and going off to fight.

His dad was wounded in the arm during the D-day landings, but at least he survived, many school pupils were to lose their father in the fighting.

The Wrexham area was relatively unscathed but the fear was still strong, and Mr Pratt recalls how some would leave their homes to go out into open countryside to sleep under the hedgerows at night, where they believed they would be safer.

?I became the man of the household and had to cope with official instructions ? stuff that came through the letterbox on how to make your house gas proof, and how to strengthen bedroom ceilings.

?It was completely unrealistic. There was great joy when we got our own gas masks, but we had a lot of problems with the baby gas mask for my younger brother.

?I learned to dig for victory in the school gardens, and everybody had allotments. The back gardens were dug up and I remember planting out our back garden.?

Mr Pratt helped out building an air raid shelter near his home. We didn?t have a wheelbarrow of our own so I sawed my sister?s pram into half and used it to move the bricks from a cottage demolished in Market Street, Wrexham. In the end we only used it a couple of times.?

Looking back on a conflict which began 70 years ago now, Derrick Pratt expresses some surprise that we managed to win.

?We had a First World War mentality,? he says. ?It took a long time to get our act together.?

Perhaps it was, in the words of Roosevelt?s secretary of state Cordell Hull, the British ?indomitable spirit? which ultimately ensured our victory.

Source: Daily Post North Wales

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hell! no wonder me house is in a sorry state.

I was under the impression all building materials came from local quarry's in Liverpool,reason being it was cheaper to extract and transport Sandstone from them.
    Most 19th C property in Liverpool was of course largely built in brick with the odd bit of sandstone for windows and lintels. Much of this brick came from Ruabon.

Blog Entries

Much of this brick came from Ruabon.
    Poland?
    ;-)

Default Owens family, Bibby's copper works, Garston

Further to my earlier post about the John Bibby and Son Copper Works in Garston, here's an interesting gravestone in St Michael's Church, Garston. It marks the burial place of John Owens who died age 75 in 1896. He was born in North Wales and joined John Bibby and Son at their Seacombe copper works when it opened in 1836 at age 15. He stayed with John Bibby following their move to Garston in the mid 1860s. The works finally closed in the mid 1930s having been bought up and immediately closed by ICI metals.

The Welsh families were housed in Bankfield Cottages, now called Brunswick St. These are some of the oldest properties in the "under the bridge" area of Garston. Bankfield house recently demolished was the Copper manager's House. Both the cottages and house were built by John Bibby of Allerton for his key workers.
    Dear Taffy

There is another John Owens (my gggrandfather) buried at St Michael's. He was head copper rollerman at the Blackburne Street works until about 1917. His father David Owens was recruited by Bibby from Morriston, Swansea when the Poulton works was opened. When John retired, his son Peter Thomas Owens became head roller man. Both David and John and other family members are buried at St Michael's. If I could figure out how to attach photos to this message, I would send you photos.

Best

John

Blog Entries

At the bottom of the quick reply box, there is a button that says Go Advanced.

You can then attach pictures from your computer to the message.....

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Poland?
    ;-)
    This BBC Liverpool Welsh story response says Buckley, near Mold -

In Liverpool a lot of the older buildings are made from
    Welsh bricks and tiles. Mainly from Buckley. The Bricks were made in Buckley,
    then shipped to Liverpool, in some cases sent by rail. You can tell by the red
    brick and the print on bricks. As a proud Buckley mon, it's always nice to see
    where my hometown bricks went.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast