Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: James Maybrick

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMay View Post
    Hi All,

Firstly can I say thank you to Jericho for his response to my request for further info on just why he feels/felt able to dismiss the diary so quickly. Like Chris however I do find it strange to hear you say that you still believe Maybrick could be a strong candidate in light of the reasons you have given for dismissing the diary. As far as I can see, if you accept that Michael Barrett (or anyone else for that matter) forged the diary then there really cannot be any other reason to suspect that James had anything to do with the murders whatsoever. He was not connected to the enquiry at the time, and had not even been thought of as a suspect until the diary came to light so, in fairness to him, If we believe the diary to be a fake I think we should all acknowledge his innocence. Once again Jericho please do not take these comments of mine the wrong way, I do not intend to 'have a go' at you or decry your opinion but am simply responding to what you've said in an honest way.

All the best,

Tony.
    You and Chris are such rationalists! My basic premise is that it will never be possible to prove the Ripper's identity conclusively. Any criminal investigator knows that non-familial murderers are hard to find. I read somewhere that there's a window of about two weeks to track them down and then it becomes increasingly difficult to find them unless they have a psychological need to get caught or slip up through complacency. Most serial killers don't have this need and don't slip up. I can't remember the estimates but the FBI has stated that at any one time there are approximately x serial killers on the lose in the States who will probably never get caught.

Retrospectively applying this analysis to Jack. Need I say more. After all this time...

In terms of Maybrick, I take a 'murder-she-wrote' stance. One moment I'm dipping a madeleine into a cup of tea and the next moment, peverse synchronicity, call it what you will. It comes to me. The 'diary' reveals a hidden knowledge, an accumulated understanding that points in one direction. I'm even prepared to accept that parts of it are real, but embellished by little ol' wine drinking Barrett.

Looks like two new articles concerning the diary are showing up on the famous Casebook site: http://www.casebook.org/dissertation...-analysis.html

Jericho,

IMO, murders are not solved or unsolved through the use of generalisations

I think what I'm getting at is that if next week someone rooted around in an attic, found an old trunk and lo and behold, espied an antique knife, a piece of apron, an old diary detailing a long, lost relative's whereabouts in the Autumn/Winter of 1888 which could be verified and some badly decomposed human body parts in jars which corresponded to the DNA of living descendants of any of the victims then it just might be possible to prove whodunnit. Whether or not you'd class that as a slip-up on JTr's part I don't know. But whether it's even in the interests of Ripper writers to solve these crimes is a moot point in itself. Would you choose temporary glory over a regular income ?

AP.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Jericho,

I think what I'm getting at is that if next week someone rooted around in an attic, found an old trunk and lo and behold, espied an antique knife, a piece of apron, an old diary detailing a long, lost relative's whereabouts in the Autumn/Winter of 1888 which could be verified and some badly decomposed human body parts in jars which corresponded to the DNA of living descendants of any of the victims then it just might be possible to prove whodunnit. Whether or not you'd class that as a slip-up on JTr's part I don't know. But whether it's even in the interests of Ripper writers to solve these crimes is a moot point in itself. Would you choose temporary glory over a regular income ?

AP.
    Hi Jericho and AP

Excellent points, both.

AP you stated, "But whether it's even in the interests of Ripper writers to solve these crimes is a moot point in itself. Would you choose temporary glory over a regular income?"

I keep hearing this argument, as if there is a club of Ripper writers who are keeping the truth from being told. As you both indicated, it is doubtful if the Ripper now could be identified. And few if any Ripper writers make a fortune out writing a Ripper book. Well, maybe Patricia Cornwell made some bucks. For most, their books are in essence specialty books and not best sellers. No one, for the most part, is getting rich off the Ripper.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Jericho,

AP.
    I'm more interested in how the Ripper factions defend their choice of suspect and what draws them to Jack in the first place than anything else. I'm choosing Maybrick because his candidacy appeals to me for the reasons already stated. I don't for a moment believe that the identity of Jack is known. Even people in love with the constant sound of ker-ching couldn't resist the lure of being identified as the one who finally named the Ripper. Now that would be a money spinner.

Default 'Can anyone help?'

Hi Everybody,

No time to respond to some of your recent posts at the moment as I am going out soon but I will don't worry! HA HA

Listen, I have managed to badger my boss about not being able to attend 'The Trial Of James Maybrick' in May sufficiently that he has now said that I CAN have the time off I need. With this in mind I am now looking at trying to attend the event. Do any of you know of any guest house's or B and B's that are near the event? If anyone has any info please post here or e mail me a personal message. My budget's not that big but it might be possible. I would be travelling up on the Thursday (17th of May) and staying for four nights returning home on the Monday. Any help would be appreciated. Time is of the essence I would imagine because I need to know if I'm going to be able to attend before I buy a ticket.

It would be wonderful to see you all, so here's hoping!

More soon,

Tony.

Hi Tony

Pleased to hear that you believe you will be able to attend the Maybrick event in May. There are B&B's in the south end of Liverpool not far from the Liverpool Cricket Ground on Aigburth Road. I am thinking of places, for example, around Sefton Park and in Garston. Someone with knowledge of them can set you right and you can also get information on accomodations etc from http://www.visitliverpool.com/

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Hi Tony,

This one is just a few minutes walk from the cricket club.

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodge...asp?lodgeID=30

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Hi Tony,

This one is just a few minutes walk from the cricket club.

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodge...asp?lodgeID=30
    Thanks, Jericho. Is that where the old Aigburth Hotel used to be?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Yes, or thereabouts. The current hotel sprawls a bit and doesn't add much to Aigburth Road's charm (to understate it) but I guess it meets a need. Maybrick's ghost probably walks the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Yes, or thereabouts. The current hotel sprawls a bit and doesn't add much to Aigburth Road's charm (to understate it) but I guess it meets a need. Maybrick's ghost probably walks the grounds.
    Yep he'll be the bloke leaning on the bar downing the tumbler full of arsenic.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

By the way, the Maybrick event is receiving quite a lot of flak from Diary opponents on Casebook at the moment. I am against the Diary but I have no problem with the event. See http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...5117#post65117

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    By the way, the Maybrick event is receiving quite a lot of flak from Diary opponents on Casebook at the moment. I am against the Diary but I have no problem with the event. See http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...5117#post65117

Chris
    The Grange Hotel in Holmefield Road is an early Victorian mansion and is only 5 minutes walk from the cricket ground.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The Grange Hotel in Holmefield Road is an early Victorian mansion and is only 5 minutes walk from the cricket ground.
    Right I had forgotten the Grange Hotel. Thanks for the tip, Philip. How do you like that house across the road with the dog's heads on the corners and the deer's head on the front of the facade? Formely a lodge for one of the neighborhood mansions. I had forgotten about it when we were doing the thread about animals' heads around the city. I photographed it years ago but maybe you or someone could photograph it as it is now.

All my best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Right I had forgotten the Grange Hotel. Thanks for the tip, Philip. How do you like that house across the road with the dog's heads on the corners and the deer's head on the front of the facade? Formely a lodge for one of the neighborhood mansions. I had forgotten about it when we were doing the thread about animals' heads around the city. I photographed it years ago but maybe you or someone could photograph it as it is now.

All my best

Chris
    I used to visit Mrs Roberts who lived there, and even house-sat there when she visited her son in Australia.
    It was built in the 18th century before the other houses in the district.
    She told me that Nicholas Montsarret lived there for a while.
    I took quite a few photos - none of the interior, unfortunately.
    I'll root some out.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast