Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

Since only private investment will do anything with it, it's a case of allow the housing and get some of the park restored or leave it as it is - a dump.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Since only private investment will do anything with it, it's a case of allow the housing and get some of the park restored or leave it as it is - a dump.
    Even if it is developed as a park there is a problem with the cost of upkeep. Earthbanks, bridges etc attract crime unless expensively patrolled. It would be better to permit for-profit leisure industry. Such things as
    cinema, bowling alley, ice rink, cabaret, coffee shops, street artists, gym, sporting goods shops, travel agencies, funfair, circus, Segway rental, whatever makes a profit and is strictly leisure industry - no residences or motels. Allowed to be "for-profit" is a fair exchange for "leisure-industry-only, no residences", and it assures continued vitality. Whatever people will pay money for, it creates employment too.

As proposed the police will hate the park and there are other parks in the area. Of course the actual promenade area itself must be protected.

Blog Entries

RESIDENTS living near the former International Garden Festival site yesterday said they had accepted a plan to build more than 1,300 homes as a “compromise solution” to clean up the derelict land.

Riverside Residents Association, which has more than 700 members, gave their views at the public inquiry into Langtree McLean’s proposed development at the Otterspool site.

The residents group said it was now “100% supportive” of the proposals – in stark contrast to the vocal Save Our Festival Gardens campaign group, which has called for a re-think of the £250m plan.

The inquiry is being held to help determine whether developer’s Langtree McLean should be allowed to build 1,300 flats, mostly in eight-storey apartment blocks, along with 68 traditional houses on the site in Otterspool.

The plan involves restoring the Chinese and Japanese gardens, and improving the southern grasslands and Priory Wood.

Protesters from the Save Our Festival Gardens Cam-paign are opposed to the loss of green space and wildlife on the site.

But chairman of the River-side Residents Association Andrea Spyropoulus said: “Our residents have had many concerns and reserva-tions about the initial propo-sals. Over the past 18 months we have had many meetings with Langtree McLean, local councillors and various representatives of Liverpool City Council. We are confi-dent that these consultations have brought about a number of changes to the initial proposals.

“Over the 15 years we have been dealing with this we have had lots of suggestions but no money, no business plan and no deliverable options to support the suggestions of which there have been many. This is the first realistic proposal that we have seen that has a robust funding structure to deliver. There is no plan B. There is a stark choice on offer here between a derelict site and a vibrant community contributing to the city with a riverside park located in a spot to die for.

“Only those who will not listen or look at the facts objectively would be stupid enough not to see advantages of this opportunity.”

Reg Cox, of the association, who lives in Penhale Close, said he supported the applica-tion and welcomed the provision of shops on the site.

“At the moment it’s a good 30 minutes walk for me to buy a newspaper.”

He said it was “bedlam” when motorcyclists descended on the site, and the proposals were needed to restore the site to its former “splendour”.

Emily Powell, of Ashlar Road, against the develop-ment, said: “There is no need for further building sites to spring up on the river front.

“I have attended many meetings in the past but none of these proposals were ever carried out.”

The inquiry at Liverpool’s Adelphi hotel continues until next Friday, November 16.

davidbartlett@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

If you want to read the statements in more detail I have them here...

Residents Association statement

Sandra MacMillan statement

Reg Cox statement

I don't yet have the full "anti" views given at the enquiry but am trying to get copies.

Mike

According to councillor John Coyne...

The Inspector has adjourned the Public Enquiry until 7th January 2008 at 10am in Blackburne House L8.

The developers and the city council have now completed their evidence.

The Garden Festival Campaign are part way through their case.

Evidence from Cllr John Coyne will follow.

The inquiry will consider what conditions should be imposed.

At the close of the enquiry the Inspector will estimate when his report and recommendations will be ready.

The Secretary of State will then decide whether to approve the development and what conditions should be imposed, based on the Inspector's report.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    The Inspector has adjourned the Public Enquiry until 7th January 2008 at 10am in Blackburne House L8.

The Garden Festival Campaign are part way through their case.

Evidence from Cllr John Coyne will follow.
    Hi, i don't understand this, why was it adjourned when it hadn't finished hearing evidence?

Hi, i don't understand this, why was it adjourned when it hadn't finished hearing evidence?
    Yes it is strange isn't it. I believe the Save The Garden Festival group wanted more time to get some documents sorted. Although I might be wrong as I only got this second hand.

So its not adjourned in the sense of it being finished and now they are deciding what to do instead its adjourned while one group gets their case sorted and they will resume again from where they left off.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    Yes it is strange isn't it. I believe the Save The Garden Festival group wanted more time to get some documents sorted. Although I might be wrong as I only got this second hand.

So its not adjourned in the sense of it being finished and now they are deciding what to do instead its adjourned while one group gets their case sorted and they will resume again from where they left off.
    Sounds like the "Save Our Garden Festival Campaign" are trying their best to stop the gardens opening for 2008!

They (SOGFC) are just timewasting now.... the locals want the plans to go through and the majority of everyone else does too... the whole enquiry is a wate of time and just leaves the gardens to rot even further..

Let the work commence on the gardens asap

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S garden festival site should have been redeveloped 20 years ago, according to the man who brought the event to the city. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Steven

I am hearing all sorts or rumours about the site Kev. About how lot of it will be sold off to build housing.
    I think I will PM *Our Man on the Spot* (Ginger the cat lives nearly on the doorstep) Maybe he will know what's going on.

One rumour, is that there is still methane gas under the ground and so the re-developement might have to be delayed.

Still it's a great thread Kev and all contibutions to it will be received with open arms by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I am hearing all sorts or rumours about the site Kev. About how lot of it will be sold off to build housing.
    I think I will PM *Our Man on the Spot* (Ginger the cat lives nearly on the doorstep) Maybe he will know what's going on.
    Sorry, nothing new to report from the front line.

Expert claims Garden Festival redevelopment will damage coast

Jan 8 2008

WORLD authority in restoring derelict and contaminated land has hit out at development plans for the former International Garden Festival site.

More...

Warren Bradley backs Garden Festival site plans
    Jan 11 2008
    Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL City Council leader Warren Bradley last night weighed in to support controversial plans to develop the former Garden Festival site.

More...

Blog Entries

DEVELOPMENT of the former Garden Festival site should go ahead as a “priority” otherwise the city would be “wasting a resource”, a planning inquiry was told yesterday. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I look forward to seeing restored Oriental Gardens and hope they replace the burned down ones.

And add anti chav lasers on them to protect them.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast