Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Toxteth and Edge Hill People

Default John Meakin

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I'm compiling a list of famous people from the Toxteth and Edge Hill area. Any famous people, notible residents/ ex residents from past and present, can anyone help?
    John Meakin landlord (now deceased) of Liverpool 8; Peter Kavanaghs (the Grapes); The Basnett Bar and the Baltic Fleet fame may want a mention.
    He was infamously took to court for biting a girls bum in his cellar and then riding to court on a horse and carriage. Also known for wearing an admiral costume to work. Later took to wearing a bowler hat and pin striped suit around town. Once appeared on play your cards right with Bruce Forsyth in the late 70s. Was also in the Liverpool Echo during the Shankly years selling fake kaiser hats. on the back page. Finally dressed up as an NCP attendent and skanked a load of American Beatle fans for minding their cars during a convention. A real Liverpool character beyond compare. Their will only ever be one John Meakin. :

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Steven

I still meet and talk with the famous boxer 'Hogan Kid Bassy' he is a gentleman.

I'd heard Conteh was from Toxteth, he lived in the tennaments the corner of Mill Street and Harlow Street. Was Mathew Arnold from Toxteth?

Default Matthew Arnold from Toxteth?

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    I'd heard Conteh was from Toxteth, he lived in the tennaments the corner of Mill Street and Harlow Street. Was Mathew Arnold from Toxteth?
    No Matthew Arnold just happened to die in Toxteth. Actually on Dingle Lane, when he was visiting his sister I believe.

Was Frankie Vaughan from Toxteth, he made a film on the cazzie.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Was Frankie Vaughan from Toxteth, he made a film on the cazzie.
    He was in a film with Anna Neagle, I think it was called ' These Dangerous Years' or Violent Playground. I'm not sure?

Frankie was a great person and his Gran was a Russian Jew. She used to say to him, "Frankie when you grow up you will be number Vaughn (one). This is the source that he took his name from."

I always thought that they came from the Scotty Road area ?

PhilipG

Frankie was indeed a great man.
    And rather dishy, too!

"These Dangerous Years" (1957) starred Frankie Vaughan.
    It was produced by Anna Neagle, but she didn't appear in it.
    Frankie's character was one of "The Dingle Boys" gang, and it was shot on location and included scenes of the caves at Knott's Hole.
    Unfortunately no longer with us.

Our own Gerard will probably be able to sell you a copy.

BTW, "The Heart of a Man" by Frankie Vaughan is still one of my all-time favourite songs, but I'm not sure if that was the title of the film it came from.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-15-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Frankie was indeed a great man.
    And rather dishy, too!

"These Dangerous Years" (1957) starred Frankie Vaughan.
    It was produced by Anna Neagle, but she didn't appear in it.
    Frankie's character was one of "The Dingle Boys" gang, and it was shot on location and included scenes of the caves at Knott's Hole.
    Unfortunately no longer with us.

Our own Gerard will probably be able to sell you a copy.

BTW, "The Heart of a Man" by Frankie Vaughan is still one of my all-time favourite songs, but I'm not sure if that was the title of the film it came from.

I was living in King Gardens at the time and was 10. They rounded up a lot of kids and took us up to the Cassey, as extras. We had a brilliant day out and all got half-a-crown.

Frankie then went on to put a cage over York House, so we could play footy on the roof. Hogan kid Bassey came down and opened it for us. Another true gentleman.

As far as I know he was from the Kempston st area, off Moss st.

Liverpool FC's Lee Peltier, who played four games last season in the Carling Cup and Champions League, was born in Toxteth.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    He was in a film with Anna Neagle, I think it was called ' These Dangerous Years' or Violent Playground. I'm not sure?

Frankie was a great person and his Gran was a Russian Jew. She used to say to him, "Frankie when you grow up you will be number Vaughn (one). This is the source that he took his name from."

I always thought that they came from the Scotty Road area ?
    It was 'These dangerous years". I've got a copy. Anna Neagle isn't in it, she produced it. Frankie was from Edge Hill.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Three of the Fourmost are from Dingle, Billy Hatton, Joey Bower, and Brian O'Hara (deceased). There was a footballer from Caryl gardens played for Derby 60s-70s, can't remember his name. think it was McGoven? Was Michael Holliday from Dingle? Alan Rudkin, Shay Neary, Larry Paul. Was in the echo in the week two lads from a family of ten from Upper Mann St. died, interesting stories, I think the name was Connor? One worked on appollo 11 as a welder, was well respected in USA, Flew the flag at the Whitehouse at half mast for him. Reggie Bousenque's family lived at Princess park, not sure if he did. Also first woman to climb the Matterhorn lived at Princess Park, sadly can't recall her name?

Shay Neary? Is he someone else or do you mean Shea?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

What about the actress Cathy Tyson - was she from Toxteth?
    Julie

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast