Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Italian Community - Little Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I thought all 3 of you were in it.

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Get in there first with which one you are
    Either of the 3 is better than what I get called now.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I thought all 3 of you were in it.

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Get in there first with which one you are
    PMSL here Ged. Now that was one of your better ones that. You know am the good.

Are there any people with the following surnames that might be able to help me find out if the person on our right of the picture below is my Great Grandfather?

Monti
    Devaney
    Cowley
    Cassapie
    Bamford
    Ferri
    Leathers
    Robson
    McLoughlin
    Maines
    Cowan
    Riccio
    Griffiths

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	23057

I know these Marble Mosaic Layers (terrazzo) people on the left were Emanuel and Charles or William Monti. My GGrandfather was called Michele Federico Capaldi.

Any help is apreciated.

Jamie Capaldi

Capo, I can't help you with the above, but a few months ago I was in Anfield cemetery and noticed this..don't know if it's of any use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anfield Cemetery 002.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	23058  

Thank you for this Dave. This is another bit of help, to piece together my puzzle!

Good post Dave. Capo..I will get her indoors to have a peek at this later and see if she can come up with anything for ya.

Cheers Pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Capo View Post
    Are there any people with the following surnames that might be able to help me find out if the person on our right of the picture below is my Great Grandfather?

Monti
    Devaney
    Cowley
    Cassapie
    Bamford
    Ferri
    Leathers
    Robson
    McLoughlin
    Maines
    Cowan
    Riccio
    Griffiths

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	23057

I know these Marble Mosaic Layers (terrazzo) people on the left were Emanuel and Charles or William Monti. My GGrandfather was called Michele Federico Capaldi.

Any help is apreciated.

Jamie Capaldi
    Hi Jamie this is Zaps BETTER half! my name is Debra D'Annunzio and I'm the author of a local history book called Liverpool's Italian families. On the front cover of my book is pictured Fiorinda Capaldi who dated my uncle Dominic during the 60's and lived above Capaldi's shop in Kensington. I have seen the picture you are talking about many times and most Italian's say it is a group of Italian workers from Diespekers in Liverpool working on a Manchester building. Hope this helps a little and if you have any info about the picture i would love know the who and where finally!!!
    Debz

Hello Debra,

Thank you for your reply.
    I know the Capaldi's you are on about in Kensington. My knowledge of my Capaldi line in Liverpool ran Capaldi's Cafe/Milk Bar in Smithdown rd. It was my GGrand Uncle Alessandro Capaldi, and his Wife - Fiorinda Colacicco.
    Also my GGrand Uncle Orazio Capaldi married Maria Grazia Innelli, who's mother was Francesca Lucia Volante - Brother to Vincenzo and cousin to Dom Volante.

My Ggrandfather Michele was a Marble Mosaic Layer, based in Bristol, but travelled to London, Liverpool and Manchester, etc. to work his skills with other Italian professionals.

In the picture he looks a spitting image of my Gramps, and would like to know if it was his Dad.
    If i find out anymore, i will let you know.

I don't suppose you know a way i could contact the people who post their stories on 'scotties press', do you?

Thanks Jamie

Hi Jamie

My great Aunt Maria Grazia D'Annunzio married Vincenzo Volante (Dom Volante's Parents)!!! I recently spoke to the Capaldi's who run the grocery store in Fenwick Street and found out the Capaldi's come from the same village as the D'Annunzio's and Volante's Atina which is just outside Cassino...but you probably already know all this I spent a lot of time with the then editor of the Scottie Press Ron Formby whilst writing my book but he has since left, however you can e-mail the web site or just pop in when your in the area, they are very welcoming and always eager to help. If i come across anything regarding the Capaldi family i will let you know Jamie.
    Debz
    ATINA ITALY

Name:	church.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	23085

Hello Debra,

So we are very distantly connected by marriage!
    I don't suppose you know if the Fenwick Capaldi's are connected to the Kensington or Smithdown Capaldi's?

My Capaldi line are from a Village a little north from Cassino, called San Michele.

There was a George Capaldi and Emilia D'Annunzio who married in 1948. Any knowledge?

Jamie
    We have a very strong Musical line in our Family, including Jim Capaldi, down to Nick Capaldi, etc.

Hi Jamie I think the Fenwick and the Kensington Capaldi's are the same family. The Emilia D'Annunzio you mentioned has to be some relation to my family, I find if you dig hard enough you find a line that leads back to the same family who came from Agnone a little further northwards towards Rome. The Italians were great musicians and many made a very good living from it too. If you have any stories from the Italian community i would love to hear them, I'm writing another book at the moment and trying to find some info on the Italian School that most 2nd gen immigrant children attended. So a bit of help would be great.
    Thanks Jamie...
    Debz

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Hi Jamie I think the Fenwick and the Kensington Capaldi's are the same family. The Emilia D'Annunzio you mentioned has to be some relation to my family, I find if you dig hard enough you find a line that leads back to the same family who came from Agnone a little further northwards towards Rome. The Italians were great musicians and many made a very good living from it too. If you have any stories from the Italian community i would love to hear them, I'm writing another book at the moment and trying to find some info on the Italian School that most 2nd gen immigrant children attended. So a bit of help would be great.
    Thanks Jamie...
    Debz
    My mother came in from Trieste as a war bride in 1947.
    The only person in your notes she said she was friends with was Denzo Grassi, who lived nearby on Cooper Av.
    I believe it is his grandson who is now running the family marble memorial business near Allerton.cemertry.

Debz, you ought to interview my cousin's uncle Ray Baccino from Raymond Place off Limekiln Lane. He's in the Gardens of Stone film and a real hoot with some great stories to tell. His family I think originated in Napoli and he mentions his relations the Boners from Italy too. Say I send you, you'll be ok.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    My mother came in from Trieste as a war bride in 1947.
    The only person in your notes she said she was friends with was Denzo Grassi, who lived nearby on Cooper Av.
    I believe it is his grandson who is now running the family marble memorial business near Allerton.cemertry.
    Hi Az the Grassi family you mentioned still have a marble business in Garston, i had the pleasure of meeting the family. Paulo and son Andrew actually made a fantastic marble plaque in memeory of the great Dom Volante which now has pride of place in a local boxing club.
    Here's a pic of me taken with them in 2009, you can see all things Scouse Italian by clicking the link below.
    Debz

http://www.scottiepress.org/projects/litaly.htm

Name:	debrapaoloandrew.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	23097

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast