Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack the Ripper

MissInformed

many thanks chris
    will have a little look at that

Hi MissInformed

Another new book on the horizon is Ripperology: The Best of Ripperologist is to be published in March 2007 by Magpie Books, an imprint of Constable Robinson, in the UK and by Barnes & Noble in the US. The Editors of the Rip drew up a shortlist of the best articles to have appeared in our previous 72 issues, with the publishers selecting the final entrants. The 27 essays include "The Carrie Brown Murder Case" by Michael Conlon, "Elizabeth’s Story" by Daniel Olsson, "Kit, Kitty, Kitten" by Andy Aliffe, "The American Connection" by Carman Cumming, "Nikolay Vailiev" by Stepan Poberowsky, "Le Grand of the Strand" by Gerry Nixon, "Responses to the Ripper Murders" by L. Perry Curtis, "Cut-throat" by Karyo Magellan, and "Diosy and D'Onston" by yours truly, Christopher T. George.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi MissInformed

Another new book on the horizon is Ripperology: The Best of Ripperologist is to be published in March 2007 by Magpie Books, an imprint of Constable Robinson, in the UK and by Barnes & Noble in the US. The Editors of the Rip drew up a shortlist of the best articles to have appeared in our previous 72 issues, with the publishers selecting the final entrants. The 27 essays include "The Carrie Brown Murder Case" by Michael Conlon, "Elizabeth’s Story" by Daniel Olsson, "Kit, Kitty, Kitten" by Andy Aliffe, "The American Connection" by Carman Cumming, "Nikolay Vailiev" by Stepan Poberowsky, "Le Grand of the Strand" by Gerry Nixon, "Responses to the Ripper Murders" by L. Perry Curtis, "Cut-throat" by Karyo Magellan, and "Diosy and D'Onston" by yours truly, Christopher T. George.

Chris
    Sounds great Chris!!
    I can see where my wages are gonna be spent in the next few months!

Chris - I'm off to West Ham tomorrow, as you know I had a pint in the Ten Bells before the Spurs game last month. Can you recommend any other pubs on Whitechapel Rd with a Ripper connection as well as the White Hart, I tried that link you emailed me but the site seemed to have been taken offline.

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Chris - I'm off to West Ham tomorrow, as you know I had a pint in the Ten Bells before the Spurs game last month. Can you recommend any other pubs on Whitechapel Rd with a Ripper connection as well as the White Hart, I tried that link you emailed me but the site seemed to have been taken offline.
    Hi Steve

Casebook was offline for a few days recently but you should be able to call up the link now. I would defer to Viper's knowledge of the Ripper-associated drinking holes. I hope we win the West Ham match. I will be watching at the Irish bar in Baltimore that I go to.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Hi Steve

Casebook was offline for a few days recently but you should be able to call up the link now. I would defer to Viper's knowledge of the Ripper-associated drinking holes. I hope we win the West Ham match. I will be watching at the Irish bar in Baltimore that I go to.

Chris
    Thanks Chris I have just had a look its a great site. Having done been in the Ten Bells and City Darts I have probably done the main two that are still standing but will go in the White Hart anyway. Our aim is to take the tube to Aldgate East early afternoon and see how far down Whitechapel Road we get as we hope to go to some of the old Krays hangouts as well. I bet you are looking forward to seeing a Reds game at a decent hour for a change.

Thanks Chris I have just had a look its a great site. Having done been in the Ten Bells and City Darts I have probably done the main two that are still standing but will go in the White Hart anyway. Our aim is to take the tube to Aldgate East early afternoon and see how far down Whitechapel Road we get as we hope to go to some of the old Krays hangouts as well. I bet you are looking forward to seeing a Reds game at a decent hour for a change.
    Thanks, Steve. I was amazed in the back cover pic by Adam Wood in Ripperologist 74 to realize that the Norman Foster building knicknamed the "Gherkin" actually towers over the Mitre Square where Catherine Eddowes was murdered.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

I was re-reading 'Letters From Hell' last night, and looking at these amazing, clear photos/illustrations.

If you are interested in the case, it is a must have!

The ITV drama from 1988 starring Michael Caine is on Crime TV now (Sky 531), I dont think I ever tire of watching this.

The ITV drama from 1988 starring Michael Caine is on Crime TV now (Sky 531), I dont think I ever tire of watching this.
    Hi Steve

The 1988 "Jack the Ripper" starring Michael Caine as Inspector Abberline is one of the best treatments of the Ripper story even if it accepts the probably innaccurate Royal conspiracy theory to explain the murders. I am though a staunch Michael Caine fan so I might be a bit biased.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

The 1988 "Jack the Ripper" starring Michael Caine as Inspector Abberline is one of the best treatments of the Ripper story even if it accepts the probably innaccurate Royal conspiracy theory to explain the murders.
    Alfie knows what it's all about....
    The latest Mary Jane Kelly candidate is one who had a son named Arthur Sullivan by an Arthur Sullivan before she disappeared mysteriously....All documented....Since she and/or her family served the Earls of Carnarvon who were the same family as one Arthur Sullivan's famous friend and traveling companion, Lady Lindsay, I think By George we already have it, Master Wayne....

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Just for the James Maybrick fans the public house he would drink in at times, the Poste House, on Cumberland Street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img0037.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	2482  

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    Just for the James Maybrick fans the public house he would drink in at times, the Poste House, on Cumberland Street.
    Well, er, allegedly. According to the Maybrick Diary, he drank there, at least as I read it, though whether the real James Maybrick did, or even if whomever hoaxed the Maybrick Diary did actually say he drank at the Poste House in Cumberland Street is a matter of debate -- it doesn't actually say that he took "refreshment" in the Poste House in Cumberland Street but just gives the name "Poste House." I think it is a mistake in the Diary because the place was known as the "Muck Midden" back then but there are those, even some who believe the Diary is a forgery, who say some other pub known informally as a "post house" may have been meant. The Post Office pub in School Lane has been proposed as a possible candidate.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

LOL just go's to show how much i know

Walden

Caught an episode of Most Haunted the other week and according to our very own Derek Acorah there were two Rippers James Maybrick being one. He failed to name the second Ripper

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast