Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Demolishing arguments

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    I agree. Nice large houses in many cases. TERRIBLE neighbourhoods. The problem in my opinion is not the houses, but the government. Why does the City Council, police, etc. allow such bad neighbourhoods to continue to be so terrible? Why don't they patrol and clean them up? Start arresting thieves, trespassers, arsonists, yobs, gangs and drug dealers? These are the real questions. Don't they realise that when they tear down the houses in bad neighbourhoods, the bad elements will remain in Liverpool (They will just move on to cause trouble to houses still left standing and the families that occupy these houses?) So the City Council's so-called 'Social Cleansing' will not solve the underlying problems - it will just move the problems on to a new neighbourhood (Perhaps even yours and mine)...
    Yes, it's already happened in mine - Anfield. They moved problem families here and the area detiorated. When I was growing up here it was a good area .. and it was certainly a good area in my grandparent's times. The big houses had proffessionals like solicitors, doctors, etc, living in them. The area started detiorating after 1980's.
    It's sad to see it like this now. Mind you, there are still some nice parts here and there still surviving the anti-social onslaught.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Urban View Post
    I don't know where you have got this from?
    I have never made any comments about either Blacks or Irish, and think Liverpool would benefit from being more diverse.

The issue of terrorism has nothing to do with race but simply with evil people.

As for the working class I think that the tiny 2 up 2 downs are too small for anyone to live in and life for the working class of whom I AM A MEMBER should be improved.

So why are you bringing up TERRORISM.... and why are you ****ging the working class wholive in terraced houses, when you are proud to be a member, of the "Chav" classes ?...........

Housing should be improved for the working classes...social cleansing is not the solution though is it?

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    We a family of 5 lived in a 2 up 2 down, outside toilet and all that lark... Today I own my own home, a 3 up 2 down terraced house...with an inside toilet... built in the 60's ..

Progress eh?
    yes, it's amazing how big families lived in the tiny 2 bedroom terraces
    - families with 6 or even 10 kids ! No inside toilet and a tin bath !!
    My dad's neighbours had 8 daughters and on Friday nights the whole family would use the same tin bath full of water !! Ha ! (ugh! ... but that's how it was in those days !) They couldn't afford to heat up refills for the bath for all of them.

FKoE

Once a month we used to go to the washhouse.. remember them... you'd all share the bath.. then yer mam would throw in the washing... and we'd all struggle home with half a ton of wet washing in a borrowed pram

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

"Social Cleansing" Thats an awful phrase! I would hate to be a victim of such a cheap and nasty phrase!

Shame on Liverpool City Council!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

First cinema in city to be demolished
    Sep 13 2006
    By Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

THE first purpose-built cinema in Liverpool is to be bulldozed and replaced with flats.

Councillors gave the go-ahead for the demolition of the one-time Bedford Hall picture house, in Walton, despite last-ditch pleas to save it.

The cinema opened on Boxing Day, 1908, about two years before aboom in the movie industry led to a string of public theatres opening across the country.

Cinema historians claim the picture house, in Bedford Road, is of national importance because it predates that building rush.

But Liverpool city council's planning committee was told appeals to have it listed and saved for future generations have fallen on deaf ears.

More...

They'd better not turn it into a poncey wine bar.

How about a new art gallery?
    Who was the greatest of them all?
    Little, Curly, Alan Ball.
    R.I.P. Bally.

Blog Entries

PLANS to continue demolishing and rebuilding thousands of Merseyside homes over the next five years took a big step forward today.

Housing experts were lodging a bid with the government for millions of pounds, with the message "let us finish what we've started".

But for the New Heartlands programme to continue as planned, officials need a guarantee that they have government support for the foreseeable future.

The scheme was the brainchild of deputy prime minister John Prescott, but responsibility has now passed to communities minister Ruth Kelly.

Pauline Davis, managing director of New Heartlands, said: "The government launched this as a 15-year programme and got right behind it.

"We've worked so hard to get our plans into place and speak to residents on the ground.

"They're now ready to see action. We want to go faster, but we're bound by the money we've got.

"This bid is about bringing it home to the government that we're part-way through a journey and we need to know they're still behind us."

New Heartlands has teamed up with eight other schemes to ask the treasury to fund their work. If ministers give money to Mrs Kelly's department, they will then battle for ashare of the cash to continue their individual projects from 2008-11.

New Heartlands will use its money to continue its present work in Liverpool, Sefton and Wirral communities, rather than spread out to new areas.

Its plans are furthest advanced in Birkenhead, where the Ten Streets area is now flattened, and Bootle, where new housing developments are being built.

In Liverpool, work has been held up in some areas by residents determined not to move. Public inquiries have been held for the Anfield, Wavertree and Edge Hill schemes.

Rising house prices are used by some residents as evidence that demolition is not needed, and it has become increasingly expensive for New Heartlands to buy up properties. Source....

What do YOU think?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Went all over the place yesterday; eventually, I ended up here...

The ill-fated old picture house in Walton. To be honest, I cannot think of any other use for this building apart from commercial (like now) But, this is unique to Walton and so dies have some right to be saved???? I wouldn't mind seeing the plans for the new building though. Hopefully it will fit in!

I know this isn't anything to do with demolision but it's a nice shot and shows what the new building on Bedford Road needs to fit in with (if you get me drift!)

After Walton, Anfield (after the game) was my next stop. To be honest, I had never been around here during or after a match and so it was strange to see streams of red pouring down Belmont Road and Arkles Lane!

Anyway, I thought it was time to pay homage to Lake Street...

This image says it all really. To be honest, by looking at this image, you can see that the houses needed to be pulled down and I hope that something like a plaza will be installed here as part of the regeneration of the area.

The other side of Lake Street is still standing (just)

The site of the terraces on Lake Street. The pavement was only two paving slabs wide (length ways) which must have been fun when two people had to pass eachother!

This is the saddening part when terraces are pulled down. The detailing here will never be seen again; it is highly likely that the new buildings (if that is going to be put here) won't have the "identity" that these terraces have. The Victorians/Edwardians didn't need to put detailing on these houses but they did. Doesn't that show how standards had gone down over the years?
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

A.D.Williams

Bloody hell! Half of Lake Street gone. T'anks for the pictures Wallasey, squire.

FKoE

Default Woman wins homes demolition fight

A 59-year-old woman has won a legal challenge to a major urban regeneration programme involving the demolition of hundreds of houses.

Mr Justice Forbes has overturned a compulsory purchase order which would have forced Elizabeth Pascoe to move from her Liverpool home.

The demolition is part of the government's Pathfinder initiative.

The judge also ruled that Mrs Pascoe's right to private and family life had been violated by the order.

Mrs Pascoe's solicitor, Phil Shiner, said the judge had overturned the CPO and declared that English Partnerships, the acquiring authority, had acted outside its powers.

She challenged the CPO granted to English Partnerships to buy and bulldoze 500 homes at Edge Lane West in Liverpool for a new road scheme into the city centre and new housing.

It was the first in a series of CPOs planned by the Urban Regeneration Agency for deprived inner city areas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/5384472.stm

Blog Entries

So where does this leave the whole regeneration of the Edge Lane area? Will they simply renovate them back to their former glory? Will the regeneration never happen leaving Edge Lane into a further nose dive?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

She's put a fly in the ointment eh?

The entire project is up in the air now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    She's put a fly in the ointment eh?

The entire project is up in the air now.
    Thousands of people stand to loose out on a hell of lot now. I hope theres a solution to this.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast