Thread: So much litter. What is the council doing?

Chris48

Default So much litter. What is the council doing?

Had a drive into Liverpool today and I am ashamed to say that it was filthy with litter. I came through Tarbock along Netherley road,Childwall Valley Rd, Childwall Road, Picton, Wavertree etc. The litter was everywhere and quite obviously not cleaned for weeks. I would have thought that extra effort would have been made this year. I wonder what visitors to the city must think? I wonder what the council tax payers must think? Liverpool Council seem to be a complete joke and they all need hoofing out!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    Had a drive into Liverpool today and I am ashamed to say that it was filthy with litter. I came through Tarbock along Netherley road,Childwall Valley Rd, Childwall Road, Picton, Wavertree etc. The litter was everywhere and quite obviously not cleaned for weeks. I would have thought that extra effort would have been made this year. I wonder what visitors to the city must think? I wonder what the council tax payers must think? Liverpool Council seem to be a complete joke and they all need hoofing out!
    It's not an arterial route into the city that many visitors are likely to drive through, so they arent interested .

On the other hand, it also appalls me that so many people drop litter thinking it is their right to and the council will pick it up for them.

Exclamation

Although I do think that more bins are needed right across Liverpool and the council does need to focus more away from the cc, the city is alot cleaner than it was 5 or 10 years ago. I don't blame the council for litter, it's the scruffy, mindless people that drop it who are the problem, and don't forget it is the weekend, there is always more litter of a weekend because of all the takeaways etc.
    I think that Liverpool has a bigger problem with the state of it's streetscape. Rusted railings and traffic lights, dead trees, wonky signs, poor road and pavement surfaces and general dirt are an all too common sight, especially away from main routes into the cc.
    Something seriously needs to be done about this. I have e-mailed Warren Bradley regarding this problem but have not received any response. I will send another e-mail today and would urge everyone else to do the same.
    These problems with litter etc are totally unacceptable and create a bad impression to visitors but more importantly, create a depressing and unsightly environment for the people of this city to live in.

warren.bradley@liverpool.gov.uk

Drunken take-away customers have always created a huge litter problem and a problem with the vermin it attracts. Why not put a tax on take away food to pay for the cleanup?

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

I know its a bit of the subject although I agree litter is a major problem, but not just for liverpool every city in britain has a bad litter proble I think i is a new cultural problem like binge drinking.

The point I wanted to make was in agreement to the point made about the state of the streets (pavements, ect). Liverpool has not long ago replaced all the paving in the main shopping streets yet some company has come along dug it all up in a big strip and but tarmac down in its place. I think this is a liverpool thing to allow utility companies and others who dig the streets up to do this.

In preston not long ago the gas pipes where being replace and when they where fininshed they spent a week putting the paving back piece by piece how they had taken it up. Now I understand there is a slight difference as in Preston this paving made a mosaic but why are they allowed to get away with this in liverpool. Those paving stones must have been worth a bit as well the size and thickness of them.

Anyway rant over, thankyou for letting me get that out of my system.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Drunken take-away customers have always created a huge litter problem and a problem with the vermin it attracts. Why not put a tax on take away food to pay for the cleanup?
    Or simply threaten people with a tax to stop them from dropping it. As I said before, I also think we need alot more bins, especially in and around parks and in areas with a large number of shops. Alot of people who drop rubbish will use a bin if there's one near, but if you are a decent person, if there isn't a bin, you will keep hold of the rubbish until you come across one!

Quote Originally Posted by Longy View Post
    I know its a bit of the subject although I agree litter is a major problem, but not just for liverpool every city in britain has a bad litter proble I think i is a new cultural problem like binge drinking.

The point I wanted to make was in agreement to the point made about the state of the streets (pavements, ect). Liverpool has not long ago replaced all the paving in the main shopping streets yet some company has come along dug it all up in a big strip and but tarmac down in its place. I think this is a liverpool thing to allow utility companies and others who dig the streets up to do this.

In preston not long ago the gas pipes where being replace and when they where fininshed they spent a week putting the paving back piece by piece how they had taken it up. Now I understand there is a slight difference as in Preston this paving made a mosaic but why are they allowed to get away with this in liverpool. Those paving stones must have been worth a bit as well the size and thickness of them.

Anyway rant over, thankyou for letting me get that out of my system.
    Agreed! The utility company will eventually have to put the original stones back, but they can leave it for up to 3 or 6 months, I can't quite remember. This is way too long and should be shortened to about 2 weeks. I also think that when a utiltiy company finishes work, the council should inspect the work immediately and if it's poor, they should be told to put it right or be fined so the council can fix it. If anyone e-mails W Bradley, I would include this issue aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    It's not an arterial route into the city that many visitors are likely to drive through, so they arent interested .

On the other hand, it also appalls me that so many people drop litter thinking it is their right to and the council will pick it up for them.
    Yes, it's a general couldn't care less attitude.

The other day a young mum and her little lad coming out of the nursery, lad aged about 3 went to pass his sweet paper to his mum .. I heard her say to him, 'what 'd'yer think I am - a bin !'

evidently it must be the nursery teaching him not to throw his papers on the floor - certainly not the mum !

Bootle is just as bad in places. despite all the extra road sweepers.

there was a small patch of wasteground on Knowsley Rd which was awful. Like a mini landfill site. I complained and FINALLY a year later it's been cleared...a bit.

Sefton Council put loads of extra bins about, but the lazy ~~~~~ won't use them.

Oh and the sooner there's a bin at Paradise Street Interchange the better.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Years ago there was a bin at every bus/tram stop. What happened to them ??
    Taken down because of the yob culture setting fire to them and H & S saying it was dangerous to have them there.
    Is there an answer to it ?? I dont think so.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.