Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Picture of the Day May 2007

Hi Gerard

Since I was with you when you took the photograph, and I believe you took it in what is now the library of Dovedale Primary School, I imagine what you say took place on that spot in relation to the Beatles has something to do with John Lennon when he went to that school. Am I right, lad?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default University of Liverpool & Abercromby Square

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Yes, surely the University looking after it is a good thing?! Just look at the Royal Liverpool Infirmary - I wouldn't be surprised if that had been demolished by now if it weren't for the university.
    But remember the University did demolish one side of Abercromby Square and won a Civic Trust award for the quality of the architecture !! Wouldn't be allowed these days I suspect. They now complain about some yellow bus stops spoiling the photographic view of the Oxford St side of the square !!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    6 months do yer..I'l give you or anyone else 100/1 you cant tell me in 6 months what happened on that spot in relation to the Beatles..
    And that includes that Beatles expert of Radio Merseyside...
    Du Raaa Du Reeeeeeeeeeeeeehh....me trumpet !!
    Personally I like the Beatles' music, but just because I live in Liverpool doesn't mean I think they're the be-all and end-all of British popular music.

To be honest it looks like a picture of (as Chris says) a school library. Besides, isn't it one picture per day, not two? The photos themselves are good, but I think the copyright notices spoil them a bit. From my experience it's best to have a small copyright down the bottom. That way newspapers can steal them and cut the copyright off and print them - then you invoice them, quote the Copyrights Designs & Patents Act and get a tidy cheque in the post...

taffy - quite right, the Uni have knocked down some interesting and historic buildings. Hopefully now though they're more switched on. Going back to my example of the Infirmary, what they're doing is very tasteful, and the original interior details, where not suitable for display, are being preserved behind false walls and ceilings.
    Last edited by Kev; 05-29-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Which pic is todays pic of the day then?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Certainly is A.D.
    Thought so. Me and our kid used to spend all summer in those baths. You are going back a good 25-30 years though.

Hurrah for the memories, sausage.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Personally I like the Beatles' music, but just because I live in Liverpool doesn't mean I think they're the be-all and end-all of British popular music.

To be honest it looks like a picture of (as Chris says) a school library. Besides, isn't it one picture per day, not two? The photos themselves are good, but I think the copyright notices spoil them a bit. From my experience it's best to have a small copyright down the bottom. That way newspapers can steal them and cut the copyright off and print them - then you invoice them, quote the Copyrights Designs & Patents Act and get a tidy cheque in the post...

taffy - quite right, the Uni have knocked down some interesting and historic buildings. Hopefully now though they're more switched on. Going back to my example of the Infirmary, what they're doing is very tasteful, and the original interior details, where not suitable for display, are being preserved behind false walls and ceilings.

Personally I love the Beatles music,and its not because I'm from Liverpool.
    Luckily I've got everything i need to know about them on my doorstep..
    I take it you wont be buying the Dvd then snappel..Ahhh wellll..
    Just have to make 1 less then...Make that 999 to start with..
    I'd say the copyright marking's ruin them..exactly as intended..
    Im not interested in suing people for money..I'm more interested in stopping my pictures being stolen...
    Job Done I'd say..

Personally I love the Beatles music,and its not because I'm from Liverpool.
    Luckily I've got everything i need to know about them on my doorstep..
    I take it you wont be buying the Dvd then snappel..Ahhh wellll..
    Just have to make 1 less then...Make that 999 to start with..
    I'd say the copyright marking's ruin them..exactly as intended..
    Im not interested in suing people for money..I'm more interested in stopping my pictures being stolen...
    Job Done I'd say..
    Hi Gerard

Indeed, I thought that was the intent of using the prominent copyright markings on your photos to stop anyone using them. Good on yer, mate. Keep up the good work, lad.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Gerard

Indeed, I thought that was the intent of using the prominent copyright markings on your photos to stop anyone using them. Good on yer, mate. Keep up the good work, lad.

Chris

Thank you Sir..

Gerard

Hi Gerard

Since I was with you when you took the photograph, and I believe you took it in what is now the library of Dovedale Primary School, I imagine what you say took place on that spot in relation to the Beatles has something to do with John Lennon when he went to that school. Am I right, lad?

Chris
    You certainly were with me Chris,and your good wife Donna..How is She..Tell her I was asking..
    That was where the Old headmaster's office was Chris in that picture that is now the Library..Yep..it was to do with the naughty young Lennon boy.
    Sorry..can only put 1 picture on and I've had to delete it..

Hi Gerard

Chris
    You certainly were with me Chris,and your good wife Donna..How is She..Tell her I was asking..
    That was where the Old headmaster's office was Chris in that picture that is now the Library..Yep..it was to do with the naughty young Lennon boy.
    Sorry..can only put 1 picture on and I've had to delete it..
    Thanks, Gerard. I will let Donna know you were asking after her. We are both well, and catching up with things after our return to the States. I do now remember you saying the library at Dovedale used to be the old headmaster's office. Very interesting. Okay re you deleting the pic.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    But remember the University did demolish one side of Abercromby Square and won a Civic Trust award for the quality of the architecture !! Wouldn't be allowed these days I suspect. They now complain about some yellow bus stops spoiling the photographic view of the Oxford St side of the square !!
    I was on Abercromby and Oxford street today and noticed a half broken cream and black City Of Liverpool plaque on the University Sports centre saying a Charles Booth was born there.

Was It his home and side that got demolished?

Heres the plaque.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmolyneux/520030608/
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I was on Abercromby and Oxford street today and noticed a half broken cream and black City Of Liverpool plaque on the University Sports centre saying a Charles Booth was born there.

Was It his home and side that got demolished?

Heres the plaque.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmolyneux/520030608/
    The side that got demolished had St Catherine's Church in the middle, with three houses either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post

Hello Max

A very important figure in Victorian and English social history. See the following for Biographical information:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...arles+Booth%22

Also since we have had a number of non-Scousers appearing in the Famous Scousers forum, I believe Charles Booth should be there so I am going to copy these three posts, i.e., yours, mine, PhilipG's, there.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

@Phredd - Pictures of Liverpool and Merseyside, buildings, places, street scenes etc. please for POD.

Shadows would be a good title for a new thread though

30th May 2007

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Sorry Kev mate.
    Deleted.

It was taken at Otterspool though
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast