Thread: Noel Chavasse House

Gnomie

Default Noel Chavasse House

Took these today of the house that Noel Chavasse lived in.

Next door is the house of James Newlands.

Last edited by Kev; 04-02-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Excellent
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default 19 Abercromby Square

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Took these today of the house that Noel Chavasse lived in.

[]
    Nice photos Gnomie. This of course is 19 Abercromby Square, How nice it looks without the brickwork painted. Noel Chavasse's father was the second Bishop of Liverpool and the house was the Bishop's Palace. It had been built ca 1864 originally for Charles Prioleau, the Liverpool representative of the US Confederate States during their civil war. Internally the building has many features reflecting the southern confederate states. It was converted in the early 1880s as the Bishop's Palace for the first Church of England Bishop of Liverpool, Bishop Ryle.

For those who have an interest in such things, Bishop Ryle and his wife are buried side by side at All Saints Churchyard, Childwall.
    Last edited by Kev; 04-02-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries

^^Cheers for the info^^ - I've added a couple of links to related posts about Noel Chav and Abercromby Square.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

I was in the Liverpool Scottish Museum last week (photographing the book of remembrance (when its finished ill post a link)) When I spotted this.

Liverpool Scottish Museum? Where is that, drone pilot? It sounds very interesting.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

The barracks on Botanic road open on wed's from 2, till 6ish best phone the Secretary on 01925 766157 ask for Major Riley, before you go to make sure.

the web site is,

http://www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk/

I was in Belgium last week and was able to find Noel Chavasse's grave in Brandhoek New Cemetery, which is just outside Ypres. Judging by the amount of crosses which are planted on his grave, it receives quite a few visits.

I also visited the Liverpool Scottish Stone, which marks their jumping off position on the attack at Hooge in 1915. In France I took a picture of the memorial commemorating the capture of Montauban from the Germans by the Kings Liverpool and Manchester regiments on the disastrous 1st July 1916. They were two of the few regiments which achieved their objective on that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chavasse1.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	1947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingsmemmontauban3.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1949  

Default Capt Nole Chavasse war grave

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I was in Belgium last week and was able to find Noel Chavasse's grave in Brandhoek New Cemetery, which is just outside Ypres. Judging by the amount of crosses which are planted on his grave, it receives quite a few visits.

I also visited the Liverpool Scottish Stone, which marks their jumping off position on the attack at Hooge in 1915. In France I took a picture of the memorial commemorating the capture of Montauban from the Germans by the Kings Liverpool and Manchester regiments on the disastrous 1st July 1916. They were two of the few regiments which achieved their objective on that day.

Thanks for posting this photo birdseye. I feel it's very important that such men as Noel Chavasse should continue to be remembered. For those of you that have relatives who were killed in action in WW1 and later and wish to see a photo of their grave, have a look at the following web site:

http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk/

This project is attempting to record photographically all known British War graves. Most of the dead buried in Liverpool have already had their war grave photographed and which are available through the web site

Wonderful images and information in this thread. Thank you all who have contributed.

Tony, I found a relative, Eric Matchett, on the war graves site, so many thanks for that link. He is buried in Toxteth Park Cemetery and was a corporal in the Royal Welch Fusiliers when he was killed on September 14, 1940 at age 23.

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post

Brilliant pics Birdseye

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Wonderful images and information in this thread. Thank you all who have contributed.

Tony, I found a relative, Eric Matchett, on the war graves site, so many thanks for that link. He is buried in Toxteth Park Cemetery and was a corporal in the Royal Welch Fusiliers when he was killed on September 14, 1940 at age 23.

Chris
    Chris

Maybe we can get a picturwe of his stone if you would like one.

Let us know, im sure one of us on here will get there to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Chris

Maybe we can get a picture of his stone if you would like one.

Let us know, im sure one of us on here will get there to take it.
    Hi Tony

Yes I would be curious to see it. It sounds as if he was the son of my maternal great grandfather who married twice. The chap who was killed, Eric Matchett, belonged I think to the "other" side of the family after my g-g-grandfather married his second wife.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace