Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Local Facts.

Default yha in liverpool

In 1925 the headmaster of the Liverpool Institute,Rev.H H Symonds started
    a school camp in a disused church hall in Borrowdale in the Lake District.
    Some boys walked from Liverpool,some cycled and some came by train.They slept on first world war stretchers which they folded in the daytime. Rev.Symonds went on to open the first youth hostel in the country at Loggerheads with the help of the Holt family of the Alfred Holt Shipping Line. I visited the site of the Borrowdale camp this year all that
    remains is a small iron gate and the concrete base which is nearly grassed over.
    gregs dad

Dealey Plaza in Dallas,the site where JFK was assassinated was named after a scouser who became one of the biggest newspaper proprietors in the United States.George Dealey whos' both parents were from Liverpool established the Dallas Morning News,which is still the biggest newspaper in the city.

Default Canada war 1812

Hi Steve, Yes the Kings Regiment served many years in Canada with two Battalions the 1st Bat King's Regiment and the 2nd Battalion. They where at the thick of it and did fight at Niagara. So much so that the regiment was awarded the battle honour NIAGARA.
    Danny

Default Liverpool Saves The Pre Raphaelites

Often forgotten, is the fact that in the mid 19th century, Liverpool was a key supporter of radical artistic movements, such as the Pre Raphaelites (considered cosy as a hearthside rug today; but in their day considered as weird and offensive as anything by Damien Hirst & co).

In the early 1850s, The Pre Raphaelites - in particular William Holman Hunt - were at the point of giving up and getting regular day jobs, when the Liverpool Academy kicked in and awarded Hunt their annual £50 prize, just as he was on the verge of destitution. It saved his career.

Support for Pre Raphaelite painting over the following years eventually split the academy, and ultimately lead to its breakup. But Hunt never forgot his debt to Liverpool - and many years later, allowed the Walker Art Gallery to buy his painting: 'The Triumph of the Innocents' for a knockdown price, as a token of his gratitude.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by lierbag View Post
    Often forgotten, is the fact that in the mid 19th century, Liverpool was a key supporter of radical artistic movements, such as the Pre Raphaelites (considered cosy as a hearthside rug today; but in their day considered as weird and offensive as anything by Damien Hirst & co).

In the early 1850s, The Pre Raphaelites - in particular William Holman Hunt - were at the point of giving up and getting regular day jobs, when the Liverpool Academy kicked in and awarded Hunt their annual £50 prize, just as he was on the verge of destitution. It saved his career.

Support for Pre Raphaelite painting over the following years eventually split the academy, and ultimately lead to its breakup. But Hunt never forgot his debt to Liverpool - and many years later, allowed the Walker Art Gallery to buy his painting: 'The Triumph of the Innocents' for a knockdown price, as a token of his gratitude.

Myself,,,,,,,,, I was spellbound by them but could never take to Millais with that 'Scapegoat' or was that Holman Hunt ?

To me it was a time of love and romance.
    Last edited by Steven; 02-04-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Myself,,,,,,,,, I was spellbound by them but could never take to Millais with that 'Scapegoat.'

To me it was a time of love and romance.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

'The Scapegoat' was one of Holman Hunt's (now at the Lady Lever Art Gallery; Port Sunlight. Interestingly, it's the 'second wave' of Pre-Raphaelitism (people like Burne Jones) who are primarily responsible for our lingering impression of their work being dreamlike and chocolate-boxy. Millais' and Holman Hunt's early stuff challenged every artistic orthodoxy of the day - to a shocking degree by the standards of that time - and often featured socially relevant themes or risque subject matter.

Default Brendan Behan

Does anyone know the address of the Liverpool lodging house Brendan Behan was arrested at, in 1939, when in the city as part of an IRA bombing campaign?

The triumph of the innocents is one of my all time fave Walker pics, all those bubbles (though i'm sure babies don't have arse cheek muscles like that)
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default carl jung

do you think this is a good thread to ask if carl jung actually visited liverpool or just dreamed he did when he mentions the pool of life. what do you all think of his dream????

Very interesting thread!

I'm impressed by everyone's knowledge!

@Sloyne: Do you really mean "Scouserphobe" (hater) or do you mean "Scouserphile" (lover)?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Sefton Park is the biggest urban park in the country outside of London.
    That's pretty impressive-I didn't know that!

Dave.

Blog Entries

Default Scotty Road and the Titanic

The crew of the Titanic reputedly nicknamed the long, wide service corridor running on E deck "Scotty Road".
    I wonder whether the St Anthony's or the Rotunda got a mention en route as well?

D.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    The crew of the Titanic reputedly nicknamed the long, wide service corridor running on E deck "Scotty Road".
    I wonder whether the St Anthony's or the Rotunda got a mention en route as well?

D.
    I believe all ships central passageway was called Scotland Road. On U.S. Ships it's called Broadway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    I believe all ships central passageway was called Scotland Road. On U.S. Ships it's called Broadway.
    No wonder Scotty was so well known outside the city.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast