Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Colomendy

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    We never went to Colemendy either - none of the schools in Anfield went as far as I know. I don't know anyone who went either.
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I went to a comp in Everton and they went. Colomendy and Loggerheads. Don't know if they were different sites or not.
    Loggerheads is across the road from Colomendys entrance.

Smile Did I get...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Lindy and az

I attended Rose Lane School and later Quarry Bank. I knew boys at Rose Lane who went to Colemendy but I never did.

C
    ...the ages of the campers wrong?

I thought it was in the second year of high school, but my memory isn't that good - I bet my mum knows though...

I had also forgotten about the Loggerheads name, no wonder I couldn't find Colemendy on Google Earth...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.016973&z=16

I see it is now called "Colemendy Environmental Centre for Outdoor Education" - I guess camp was to simple...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.543137&z=11

...was there a reason you didn't go? ...or did your whole class not go?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Some schools were more equal than others. We never had football fields, being yards from the Dock Road. To play football the school took us to Princes Park to an open field. We put down our jumpers for goals and played football. No changing rooms, showers, football kit or anything. I am talking 1960s here, not 1880s. The school inside had not changed since built in the early 1800s, some of the desks were original.
    our school was opposite Stanley park, and yet we had to travel to Dwerryhouse playing field (down by Croxteth) for hockey lessons (which I hated !!) - not sure what the lads did for footy - we were a girls only school by then, and the boys had been moved out to Anfield Comp in Breckside Park.
    Yet, my son (still going to the same school) did have games and football over at Stanley park.
    I asked him him just now where the girls go for hockey - - - and he looked at me askance !! ''hockey !! there's no hockey !! that was back in the old days !!''

... don't they have hockey at schools now, I wonder ??

ps,

like you say, our school had some of the original desks and dried up inkwells. (in the 1960's)

Kids in Liverpool 8 didn't go to Colemendy - well I never knew any that went. Our school never took us. That for the others not us.
    We went! i'm probably younger than you but I remember colemendy well-peg leg and beautiful sheep that looked like cotton wool.

I love these pictures and first found them a while back and can't believe how much that are has changed.
    I also saw a picture of a tram going along Aigburth Road , it shocked me a bit

My cousins went to "Welly Road" school and all went to Colemendy !, I lived in Greta Street and went to St Silas and none of us ever went there !.....I love the pictures , it must have been such a lovely area "once upon a time"..

Some Kirkdale schools went to Colemendy. I remember my friends going with Major St school,I was in college at the time so I cycled to Loggerheads and camped out on my own. Every morning I would walk over to Colemendy to use the swimming pool with my friends.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Lindy and az

I attended Rose Lane School and later Quarry Bank. I knew boys at Rose Lane who went to Colemendy but I never did.

C
    Didn't we have a thread about Colomendy? I went several times in the late 60s.

Chris,
    Many of my friends went to Rose Lane School, then Quarry Bank. I think you're a couple of years older than me so you won't have known them.

Blog Entries

Kids in Liverpool 8 didn't go to Colemendy - well I never knew any that went. Our school never took us. That for the others not us.
    I went a few times with Tiber Street school
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

I’m going back a little further than you guys, early fifties

Our school, Roscommon St, Everton, went to Colomendy for two weeks every year. It wasn’t a holiday, it run as a school with some lessons indoors and some study outdoors. Plenty of hiking up Moel Famma and district. We slept in wooden huts with bunk beds. This was before the modern school (Glyn Allyn?) was built. I remember the area were the school was built being dotted with mine ventilation shafts.
    We were taught how to cook our dinner over a campfire, fetching water from the stream and washing and peeling the spuds and veg, ready for the big pan with the stew in it.

Everyone had to choose a subject while there and do a project to bring back to Liverpool.
    One lad found a dead fox and it was boiled down to the bare bones and assembled in school. (health and Safety?)

There was a number of kids who seem to be bordered there also.

Question Was my memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    I’m going back a little further than you guys, early fifties

Our school, Roscommon St, Everton, went to Colomendy for two weeks every year. It wasn’t a holiday, it run as a school with some lessons indoors and some study outdoors. Plenty of hiking up Moel Famma and district. We slept in wooden huts with bunk beds. This was before the modern school (Glyn Allyn?) was built. I remember the area were the school was built being dotted with mine ventilation shafts.
    We were taught how to cook our dinner over a campfire, fetching water from the stream and washing and peeling the spuds and veg, ready for the big pan with the stew in it.

Everyone had to choose a subject while there and do a project to bring back to Liverpool.
    One lad found a dead fox and it was boiled down to the bare bones and assembled in school. (health and Safety?)

There was a number of kids who seem to be bordered there also.
    ...of our ages correct?

I think we went in the second year of high school. If so, it would have been 1960 or so, and your description sounds spot-on.

A bit like school and boy scout camp merged...

I hiked up Moel Famau so many times I can't remember if one of those times was at Colemendy...

Debra

Our Lady Immaculates went to Colomendy too , i remember it well , it smelled of mashed potatoes and cabbage , i remember the dorms and the tales of 'Peg leg' we were terrified .. I remember the freezing cold outdoor swimming pool , and the huge mountain we climed ..
    the end of holiday disco , i won a mint cracknel for being the best dancer...Falling in love with a lad from St Finbars called Phillip ..
    Our parents coming to see us for the day , we were all screaming to go home ..
    Buying my mum a round glass ball tied with string , like what you have on a fishing boat .. so many memories and lifelong friendships were forged in that magical place .

George

Never been to Col but I got told that if you ended up there it was for a reason ie If you were undernourished,your mother was poorly and there wasn't a father or he had to work,you was waiting to be placed in a home,you was an unruly child ect.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Never been to Col but I got told that if you ended up there it was for a reason ie If you were undernourished,your mother was poorly and there wasn't a father or he had to work,you was waiting to be placed in a home,you was an unruly child ect.
    Nah, it may of been in the early days but when I was at school it was a holiday. I went about 3 times with my junior school and loved it. My senior school went but that was work and only "the good ones" got picked.

Blog Entries

We often went with the junior school, the move upto top camp towards the end of juniors made us feel like we had 'arrived' and were old enough.

On occasion we were met by lads from the naughty boys accomodation who we knew from by 'ours'.

I remember a lad doing a runner through loggerheads trying to get home. Don't know how far he got but we didn't see him again after that.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast