Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boutiques

Default Boutiques

I was talking to my 17 year old this morning, and I mentioned Boutiques "Whats a boutique?" she asked, I then went onto explaining that back when I was a teenager, we had clothes shops that we called Boutiques. I started reminiscing then about the first ever Boutique I remember and that was AMBER does anyone else remember this shop? It was next to the old Reeces building and used to look like a white cave from the outside, the mannequins where all based on Twiggy (this must have been mid to late 60s) I used to love going there, although I only ever think I bought once from there and that was a feather boa. On the other side of the road on Church Street, was Chelsea Girl, I loved it in there, it was very dimly lit and I loved the leather handbags and accessories. I remember a friend of mine buying a velvet pair of pants from there and when she got them home, discovered that in the seams there where fleas, her parents wrote to Chelsea Girl regarding this, and not that long after the dimly lit shop, was now bright and airy. Before these two shops, we only had the likes of C&A Modes, Blacklers, Littlewoods, Lewis`s and GH Lees. It was like a breath of fresh air to have some decent clothes shops. I also used to love browsing (I say browsing as I couldnt afford to buy) the BIBA catalogue. Loved it, it seemed so chic and glamourous at the time. The latest designs from London(Oh how far away did London seem at the time?) From Long velvet maxi dresses, cullottes, and satin midis. Great stuff.

Yes, I remember those names well though cannot admit to ever going in them

I've seen the cave shop - Amber mentioned somewhere else before too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

George

Ziggy's for men by clayton square.

Flash Harrys which was also Sexy Rexies.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi Linda, you are almost right, but 'Shades' was the first boutique to open in Liverpool. It took over the former premises of 'Lewis Separates'
    My first job when I left school was at 'Shades' and I remember prior to the first opening, 100s of girls having to queue around the block to get an interview of the much coveted jobs ! It was a big deal and 'a pose' to work in Shades - a boutique being such a novelty. All the girls wore very short mini skirts/dresses ( provided by the store and changed to new fashions every 6 months) long hair and falsh eyelashes The shop was long, narrow and dark.
    In time, the shop changed to it's new name of Chelsea Girl, and was eventually extended bigger with more floor space.
    The clothes were great, and as you say, especially the leather bags. There was a big turnover, and stock would be changed very quickly and frequently. I can remember some of the staff 'uniforms' very well, and the staff modelled the latest in stock.

Amber boutique over the road in Parker st opened approx 6 months after Shades.

I later worked in another boutique in Parker st called 'Fothergills' which had a Buddy Holly theme and played Buddy Holly records all day long on a loop

Linda, do you remember 'Madam Wartsky's boutique in Bold st ? not sure of the spelling. Wartski, Wartsky ?

Debra

I remember Bus stop .. Just by Clayton Square ..

Omg, Thanks Lindylou, I completely forgot about Shades, but I do remember it, my memory isnt what it used to be. . I dont remember Wartskis? Most probably a bit too posh for me, ha ha. Debra, the name Bus Stop rings a bell, but I cant place it. I remember going into Chelsea Girl/ Shades, not sure which one now, and the staff wore hotpants.Its such a shame, now, as I have 4 daughters, and although there are lots of clothes shops in Liverpool, nothing seems to be exciting, a majority of the stuff, it all very similar, in fact I would say the fashion of the day is now quite boring. Maybe its just my age that makes me have this opinion. I remember getting a tax rebate in work and went straight out and bought a lovely cream and pink outfit. .

have a look in this thread - http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...on-statements-!

there's some fashion chat in there

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    have a look in this thread - http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...on-statements-!

there's some fashion chat in there
    Oh Lindy , 'SOME' fashion chat and every other chat .. hehe

Remember them,great places for a young pup 'on the prowl'

Remember Chelsea Girl very well, wasn't it on the block where Primark are now?

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Linda, do you remember 'Madam Wartsky's boutique in Bold st ? not sure of the spelling. Wartski, Wartsky ?
    Wasn't that in Cases st,near Clayton square? and it was "Miss Wartsky"? (Dont ask me why I remember it so well....but probably the birds in and out of there) Does anyone remember a clothes shop called "Cape" Down a side st,opposite M&S? Where all the "Heads" got their gear,and "Silly Billys" was another,in Whitechapel,I think! Far out,man!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    Remember them,great places for a young pup 'on the prowl'
    Young pup, you're still prowling you old dog!!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Wasn't that in Cases st,near Clayton square? and it was "Miss Wartsky"? (Dont ask me why I remember it so well....but probably the birds in and out of there) Does anyone remember a clothes shop called "Cape" Down a side st,opposite M&S? Where all the "Heads" got their gear,and "Silly Billys" was another,in Whitechapel,I think! Far out,man!

It was definately in Bold st. It was a big shop with 2 floors. In later years it became a bookshop if I'm not mistaken. Next time I go that way I'll try and visualise where it used to be. It was on the corner - - of Concert sq maybe ? not sure 'til I have a look and I'll recognise the building.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast