Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgian Liverpool

Blog Entries

Default Georgian Liverpool

HE BECAME a household name after winning the first Big Brother and appearing on several DIY television shows.

Now Craig Phillips is putting into practice what he preaches by renovating three run-down Georgian houses in Liverpool, which is costing him more than £1m.

Mr Phillips is working hard to restore the properties, in the Beech Road area of Kensington, to their former glory.

He said: "So far we have redeveloped one house and are working on the second. They have cost £400,000 each. We plan to spend £350,000 on the third house when we start work on it.

"We want to see the area improve and I feel that this is playing a small part. It is difficult because the houses were in such poor condition when we started. The third house was bombed in the Blitz.

"All of the houses will look beautiful when they're finished. I want them to return to their former glory. Obviously, there aren't many who could afford to live in these houses now, but we plan to create 28 new apartments for people to live in."

Mr Phillips is continuing his television work and the building of the first house was filmed for the Conversion TV show on Discovery Realtime, while the third will be filmed for a DVD called Tarmac, a step-by-step guide to modernising houses.

One recent disappointment for the former Big Brother winner was having to sell his Construction Skills company to Carter & Carter after funding difficulties: It's a shame I'm no longer involved but I took it as far as I could. Carter & Carter are one of the best in business, and I'm pleased they took over.

"Nine of the workers I'm using for renovating the Georgian houses are from the scheme so the local community is definitely benefiting and that's what counts."

In the process of renovating the houses, Mr Phillips has also been speaking up for the local community by opposing the construction of a new bed and breakfast, arguing that it would add more traffic problems to an already heavily congested area.

He attended a planning meeting this week and argued that the planned construction be rejected.

The city council's planning committee voted to refuse the planning application and next month will have to decide whether to reaffirm its rejection.

Despite his venture into community campaigning, Mr Phillips said his immediate future is still in television. source....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Car parking is the least of Craig's worries if that B&B gets the go ahead. Given the other accommodation they run, Loango Estates wont be filling it with tourists. Dont know if Craig is being extremeley naive to the situation or wants to remain politically correct and not put people into little boxes.

Seymour St seems to have plenty of Georgian houses to let
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quite substantial properties in their time, note the basements.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Was ya looking at buying one, GD ?

I lurve Georgian architecture and would like to live in an old house again one day!

Default Really Georgian ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    HE BECAME a household name after winning the first Big Brother and appearing on several DIY television shows.

Now Craig Phillips is putting into practice what he preaches by renovating three run-down Georgian houses in Liverpool, which is costing him more than £1m.

Mr Phillips is working hard to restore the properties, in the Beech Road area of Kensington, to their former glory.
    source....
    Didn't know there were Georgian houses in the Beech Rd area of Kensington

[QUOTE=gregs dad;179945
    Seymour St seems to have plenty of Georgian houses to let[/QUOTE]

These delightful houses seem to be mainly offices these days. I suspect it's the recession that is causing firms to move out or close.

Seymour St seems to have plenty of Georgian houses to let[/QUOTE]

Think you will find that most of these former houses were converted into offices following the major restoration of this block, hence the boards being those of commercial letting agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Robbo View Post
    Think you will find that most of these former houses were converted into offices following the major restoration of this block, hence the boards being those of commercial letting agents.[/QUOTE]

At one time,there were many jewish tailors,along Seymour st.These were basically, chased out of the area,and the properties vandalised,by local people,after the deaths of some British soldiers in Palestine,killed by jewish nationalist(Irgun,I think?)The only remaining sign of the jewish community, is round the corner,in London rd. a former butchers shop,P.Galkof, who some are trying to save from demolition.

There was a mirror image row of these facing as well. The barbers my dad used to take me during the late 60s/early 70s was in the basement of one of them near the bottom end by the Swan pub.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I used to have a garage behind the houses opposite in Villars St. It had originally been a stable for the house behind it. That was in the late 70's
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    There was a mirror image row of these facing as well. The barbers my dad used to take me during the late 60s/early 70s was in the basement of one of them near the bottom end by the Swan pub.
    Any pic's Ged?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I used to have a garage behind the houses opposite in Villars St. It had originally been a stable for the house behind it. That was in the late 70's
    I remember a tale of somebody being killed, in a garage around there,in the 70's I think.A compressor of some sort, was left running, and exploded!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Any pic's Ged?
    Yes, check out Ged Fleming's cracking site.

4th line and 5th line down, you'll see Seymour Street's West side.

http://liverpooldays.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=27

The rest of his site is a must see too.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast