Thanks, Max and Marie!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MariaC

Well this is my claim to fame. Me mam sent me up to Granby Street to have my little brother's hair cut. Pee Wee was a very popular barbar and he did a lot of his hairdressing with a *cut throat razor*
    You will never guess who was in the chair, getting his hair done ? Ritchie Starkie. Ringo

Quote Originally Posted by MariaC View Post
    Well this is my claim to fame. Me mam sent me up to Granby Street to have my little brother's hair cut. Pee Wee was a very popular barbar and he did a lot of his hairdressing with a *cut throat razor*
    You will never guess who was in the chair, getting his hair done ? Ritchie Starkie. Ringo
    Maria, I am prohibited to u, to approach a hairdresser's shop less than 1 mile. You do not cut the hair!!

Wink Surprise link with the past

Hi,

I am the great great grand daughter of James Bioletti who gave evidence in the Maybrick trial. Kesari, his son, was my great grandfather and Fred Bioletti my grandfather. I was given a chair that I knew to have been in the family for some time. It had been sitting in a corner getting sadder and more in need of re-upholstering as the years roll by so I decided to tackle it a couple of days ago. Whilst taking the old upholstery off I put my hand inside the lining and pulled out a card signed by Kesari Bioletti 28/9/28. This awakened my interest in the family history which led me to this website! I was thrilled and touched to find the card - I hope Kesari would be pleased that his great grand daughter is carrying on the family trade (albeit as a novice!).

I was brought up in Liverpool and remember being taken to the site of the furnishers and upholstery shop at 107 Upper Warwick Street, the barbers in Penny Lane and Reg and Flora Bioletti's house (Roger's parents).

Thanks for sharing information about my family.

Steven

Fascinating article thanks for sharing Dinah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinah View Post
    Hi,

I am the great great grand daughter of James Bioletti who gave evidence in the Maybrick trial. Kesari, his son, was my great grandfather and Fred Bioletti my grandfather. I was given a chair that I knew to have been in the family for some time. It had been sitting in a corner getting sadder and more in need of re-upholstering as the years roll by so I decided to tackle it a couple of days ago. Whilst taking the old upholstery off I put my hand inside the lining and pulled out a card signed by Kesari Bioletti 28/9/28. This awakened my interest in the family history which led me to this website! I was thrilled and touched to find the card - I hope Kesari would be pleased that his great grand daughter is carrying on the family trade (albeit as a novice!).

I was brought up in Liverpool and remember being taken to the site of the furnishers and upholstery shop at 107 Upper Warwick Street, the barbers in Penny Lane and Reg and Flora Bioletti's house (Roger's parents).

Thanks for sharing information about my family.
    Thank you, Dinah. I am pleased that you enjoyed my article. Feel free to contact me by private message or email if you wish. Meanwhile I do wish you well with your family research. I can well understand your delight at finding the card signed by Kesari Bioletti in 1928!

All my best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Thumbs up Roger Bioletti

Fascinating stuff! I am Roger Bioletti's daughter, in fact I was born the year after that photo was taken, and am intrigued by the stuff I find when researching my family!

A great story, and wonderful research, thanks!
    Last edited by SaraBee; 04-21-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by SaraBee View Post
    Fascinating stuff! I am Roger Bioletti's daughter, in fact I was born the year after that photo was taken, and am intrigued by the stuff I find when researching my family!

A great story, and wonderful research, thanks!
    Thanks, SaraBee for your kind words.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

I used to get my hair cut at Bioletti's in the mid 60's - mostly because of a girl who worked there (I remember her name but don't think I should quote it) who would lean across while cutting the top and you'd have a warm breast in your ear for the duration. Told some mates and they all ended up regulars!
    At 13/14 it was about the most erotic experience you could have.
    For the time, my hair was quite short. All those haircuts.

cockney-fella

Believe it or not...and this is straight up, my mothers maiden name is Bioletti, the family came over to England after the 1st World War, my mothers parents settled in North London on the Seven Sisters Road.

I know my mother was contacted recently by someone compiling a family tree and the Garibaldi connection was all listed...she'll be made up when she gets this as apparently there are only 12 Bioletti's in the UK, the family originally hails from the Bologna region of Italy.

She's well into her 70's now and now she has time on her hands she likes her family history

Garibaldi was also the name of 1 of a set of 3 high rise blocks off Netherfield Road too, along with others called after other Italian reformists, Mazzini and Cavour.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

cockney-fella

Just spoke to me mum on the phone and she did actually know of him (they were related apparently ) , as she lived in Toxteth in the late 50's as she appeared in variety shows as a dancer and had a long booking in Liverpool don't know which theatre though, She met me old man there ( in the Yankee bar ) as he was down from Newcastle doing his National service with the RAF over on the Wirral somewhere, and he'd come into town for a bevvy.........

Just sent her the link , the old girl was made up, she said when she stopped in L8 though it was very upmarket, ( I told her its probably changed a bit since then ! ).

Made up though small world indeed.

Nice one to the poster

Quote Originally Posted by cockney-fella View Post
    Just spoke to me mum on the phone and she did actually know of him (they were related apparently ) , as she lived in Toxteth in the late 50's as she appeared in variety shows as a dancer and had a long booking in Liverpool don't know which theatre though, She met me old man there ( in the Yankee bar ) as he was down from Newcastle doing his National service with the RAF over on the Wirral somewhere, and he'd come into town for a bevvy.........

Just sent her the link , the old girl was made up, she said when she stopped in L8 though it was very upmarket, ( I told her its probably changed a bit since then ! ).

Made up though small world indeed.

Nice one to the poster
    Hi cockney-fella

Interesting information. It's possible that your mum appeared at the Pavilion (known as "The Pivvy") on Lodge Lane where my great uncle, Billy Matchett, appeared a number of times as a comedian.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Wow all these Biolettis!!! I too am a descendant from Alberto Bioletti. However I was wondering if any of you knew of the diary/letters that account for his days in the Napoleonic war. I've read lots of references to them and would love to read more!

Quote Originally Posted by Booness View Post
    Wow all these Biolettis!!! I too am a descendant from Alberto Bioletti. However I was wondering if any of you knew of the diary/letters that account for his days in the Napoleonic war. I've read lots of references to them and would love to read more!
    Hello Booness

Great to hear from you. I do not know of any letters or a diary of Alberto Bioletti from the time of the Napoleonic wars. That's not to say that such documents don't exist. They might possibly, in private hands somewhere. I would also be interested to know.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast