Thread: Dingle to Town

Steven

Default Dingle to Town

This morning I walked from the Dingle, to the Halifax B.Society in town. This walk usually takes me about 35 mins. Down Mill Street, across Parly and then down St. James Street to Park Lane. Into Paradise Street,,,,,,

That's where I come unstuck. There is so much construction work going on there and no footpath through to Lord Street. I had to go all the way around, and cut through to Elizabethan Courts (By the old Queen Vic monument.)

What a nightmare! but I suppose it's going to look good when it's all done.

On the positive side. I walked up through Wiliamson Square (to get an 82 back home) I was made up to see the 'dancing fountains' going. So I asked a feller who was working on them, if they were shutting down, 'cos I'd heard rumours about the drains there?

He told me that all the repairs have been carried out, and it's all done and dusted.

Right next to the fountain is what seemed to be a 'Merry-go-round' but it was all covered in tarpaulin. Again, I asked the same guy what it was,,

He said, " Dunno, it might be one of them cakes me mam leaves for me."

I was nackered, so got a bus back home.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    This morning I walked from the Dingle, to the Halifax B.Society in town. This walk usually takes me about 35 mins. Down Mill Street, across Parly and then down St. James Street to Park Lane. Into Paradise Street,,,,,,

That's where I come unstuck. There is so much construction work going on there and no footpath through to Lord Street. I had to go all the way around, and cut through to Elizabethan Courts (By the old Queen Vic monument.)

What a nightmare! but I suppose it's going to look good when it's all done.

On the positive side. I walked up through Wiliamson Square (to get an 82 back home) I was made up to see the 'dancing fountains' going. So I asked a feller who was working on them, if they were shutting down, 'cos I'd heard rumours about the drains there?

He told me that all the repairs have been carried out, and it's all done and dusted.

Right next to the fountain is what seemed to be a 'Merry-go-round' but it was all covered in tarpaulin. Again, I asked the same guy what it was,,

He said, " Dunno, it might be one of them cakes me mam leaves for me."

I was nackered, so got a bus back home.
    You can still walk the whole length of Hanover Street.
    It's either that or through the Bus Interchange and then Strand Street.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    You can still walk the whole length of Hanover Street.
    It's either that or through the Bus Interchange and then Strand Street.

I should have turned right by the Old Davy Lewis, walked past China town and then down Bold Street but I will know better next time.

Steve, you'd be better going into Brunswick dock by Harry Ramsdens and walking along the front to the Albert Dock, better views, cleaner air.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    Steve, you'd be better going into Brunswick dock by Harry Ramsdens and walking along the front to the Albert Dock, better views, cleaner air.
    Admittedly better views and cleaner air, but if you want to get to Church Street/Lord Street shops, it's a long way round.

True Phillip, but you can always hop on the 1 or the 4a that run along there regular, drop you in Lord st. or Queens sqr. Mind you once I got caught in a downpour in the middle of nowhere, saw it coming down the river!!