Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tesco Old Swan

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    I wasn't referring to Irwins - I know nothing about them. There were many other competitors that Tesco bought out, but continued to operate under the old name. Then there were the kite-flying Victor Value branches.
    Let me repeat myself, then:
    "Tesco got into this part of the country by taking over Irwins (about 1960-61).
    All the Irwins were rebranded as Tesco.
    Irwins had more shops than Tesco needed, so there was a lot of thinning out."

I worked for them at the time.

I don't know much about the subsequent takeovers, or Tesco's activities in other parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Then there were the kite-flying Victor Value branches.
    Yes, that's jogged my memory. Victor value
    The Breck rd Tescos became a Victor Value.
    The smaller Tescos on Priory rd was sold over in the early 1970s to a family run business which is still going strong today.

Does anyone remember 'Vivos ?'
    Not sure if there were many of them, but there was one on Townsend lane 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, that's jogged my memory. Victor value
    The Breck rd Tescos became a Victor Value.
    The smaller Tescos on Priory rd was sold over in the early 1970s to a family run business which is still going strong today.

Does anyone remember 'Vivos ?'

Not sure if there were many of them, but there was one on Townsend lane 1960s.

The only Victor Value I was aware of was the one in West Derby - and only because it used to be a cinema (then Tesco).
    I took a photo of it in 1984, and it was Victor Value then.

I hadn't heard of Vivo, but that one in Townsend Lane is the only one listed in Kelly's Directory for 1968.
    There's one Victor Value listed in that directory - in Stanley Road, Bootle.
    Loads of Tescos.

Hi Philip, just for curiosity, can you have a look in the 1968 Kelly's and see what supermarket was listed - not sure what number Breck rd it would be, but just past the old Royal/cinema/bingo - it's now a furniture shop and is next door to the present library.
    I know there was definitely a large Tesco because we used to shop there in the mid to late 60's. But I'm a bit confused what it became after that - - I do remember approx 1972'ish it was taken over by another firm - something like a discount food supermarket (could it have been a Kwiksave ??) -- I remember very well the people queueing up to get job interviews.

I was a bit confused about Victor Value - when I come to think of it .. it may have been about 1980 before it became Victor value --- I remember going in there to shop, and I think their logo colours were dark blue and white. Can't think what happened after the 1980's - in 90's it became some kind of general household bargain store like Poundstretcher - now it is a furniture shop.
    Getting my rusty memory moving

Hi, Linda.
    I'll scan Breck Road and email it to you.
    In the meatime, the only grocers (or similar) after the Royal are Tesco, near Agate Street.
    Thomas Scott (Bakers) on the next block, and another Tesco near The Willows.
    No more before Belmont Road.

Thanks Philip. As I say, my memory is a little rusty now. Mind you, it is a long time ago !

There were Victor Value shops all over the place*, but they were really Tesco in disguise. As I understand it, it was a ploy to remove the competition while they gathered strength and decided which they would re-brand as full Tescos and which to close. That's why it looked to an outsider as if Tescos had stalled.

* The only other one I can think of definitely that was local was the one in Hunts Cross, but I'm sure others will remember more...

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

There used to be a Victor Value near Cherry Lane and there was a little one in Landford Ave.

Going back to Tescos in the Swan they had one opposite the Red House late 50s early 60s.
    They have now bought the site of The Green Dragon Pub next door to Whiston Hospital
    to open another Express Store
    Once a blue always a blue

Tesco are going into cars now - maybe they really are taking over the world !

http://www.tescocars.com/

I listen to phone-in callers who keep mentioning about Tesco taking over the world but the answer is always the same in that it's supply and demand. They will only enter into something that the people obviously want or they'd be losing money on it. For me, if they can offer cheaper insurance, mortgages or cars than those that currently rip us off, so much the better. I just wish the exiting Leahy would put some money into Everton.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I listen to phone-in callers who keep mentioning about Tesco taking over the world but the answer is always the same in that it's supply and demand. They will only enter into something that the people obviously want or they'd be losing money on it. I just wish the exiting Leahy would put some money into Everton.
    Obviously not much demand for Everton and obviously not many people want them either, otherwise he'd be piling his money in, wouldn't he ?
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

I don't mean Everton the district, I mean as a major shareholder in EFC, he could at least put some money in

As for the district, Project Jennifer will see a new supermarket.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I listen to phone-in callers who keep mentioning about Tesco taking over the world but the answer is always the same in that it's supply and demand. They will only enter into something that the people obviously want or they'd be losing money on it. For me, if they can offer cheaper insurance, mortgages or cars than those that currently rip us off, so much the better. I just wish the exiting Leahy would put some money into Everton.
    I agree.
    I've no bone to pick with Tescos. I just wish they would open one in Anfield ! We must be the only place without one.
    We see people protesting that they don't want a Tescos in their area - and we are saying, 'send 'em here!'
    We need a good supermarket here.

We have to go to Old Swan or County rd.

ps,
    there we go - talking supermarkets again !

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I agree.
    I've no bone to pick with Tescos. I just wish they would open on in Anfield ! We must be the only place without one.
    We see people protesting that they don't want a Tescos in their area - and we are saying, 'send 'em here!'
    We need a good supermarket here.
    We have to go to Old Swan or County rd.
    ps,
    there we go - talking supermarkets again !

The old Anfield Comp/North Liverpool Academy has gone...............a prime site?!..............last information we got was that it's being used as a 'temporary' match day car park!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast