Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ex Blue Coat boys on here

Default Any ex Blue Coat boys on here

Interesting website here, although it's a bit of a pain to navigate.

http://www.bluecoatboy.webeden.co.uk

It's nice to read a site from someone who left without sitting A levels and is happy with his life as a bus driver, unlike those on friendsreunited who all claim to be brain surgeons and company directors.

I was there 1982-89 and hated 95% of it, often being ridiculed for not wanting to vote Conservative and my passion for football. Despite this I'm still a little nostalgic and quite looking forward to the tricentenary celebrations.

I went there and did the same as you, at the time it was a secondary modern/grammar school, I passed my eleven plus and went to the grammar part, if you think it was snobby when you went mate you have no idea what it was like in the 50's. I hated it and couldn't wait to escape. All I ever wanted to be when I was young was a mechanic, so 5 years of latin didn't help my career. I have found some of what I learned usefull in later life though.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Blue Coat boys were too posh for us St. Margies scalls
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

i went there from 1998-2005

its still a 19th century school in the 21st century, and there definitely needs to be a dramatic rethink over how the school is run in my opinion. In my opinion there was too much focus on retaining the reputation of the school rather than getting people grades i felt (from the top anyway) also, they treated the 6th form like the lower part of the school.

Default Bluecoat

Hiya ,
    My son started Bluecoat 2003 & is still there , A bright lad but just from an ordinary background ,He loves the education side in fact thrives on it , So in all honestly education wise i think it'll be the making of him , Class wise he feels half of the pupils are stuck up , ( his words not mine ) I myself can't praise the school highly enough,

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Blue Coat boys were too posh for us St. Margies scalls

Haha you're right there!! My bro went to the Blue Coat and got loads of homework, I went to St Mags and played footy each night

Default Bluecoat School Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Hiya ,
    My son started Bluecoat 2003 & is still there , A bright lad but just from an ordinary background ,He loves the education side in fact thrives on it , So in all honestly education wise i think it'll be the making of him , Class wise he feels half of the pupils are stuck up , ( his words not mine ) I myself can't praise the school highly enough,
    When did this school become elitist? I know little about its history but I understand it was for the children of destitute families, orphans etc. This still seems to have been the case pre WW2. The object of the school being to give the child( boy or girl) a basic education and the rudiments of a trade and then get the child an apprenticeship at age 14.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    When did this school become elitist? I know little about its history but I understand it was for the children of destitute families, orphans etc. This still seems to have been the case pre WW2. The object of the school being to give the child( boy or girl) a basic education and the rudiments of a trade and then get the child an apprenticeship at age 14.
    The school stopped being an orphanage and relaunched as a boarding and day school in 1949, with a selevtive intake.

Default Bluecoat School Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    The school stopped being an orphanage and relaunched as a boarding and day school in 1949, with a selevtive intake.
    Thanks for that. I suspect the closure of the old orphanage ties in with the arrival of the then new Labour Government's Welfare State.

Tony Salmon has started a dedicated photpic website with over 130 school pics here. Despite the multi million pound refit, they still look to have the same doors, teachers desks and cupboards as when I was there in the 80s.

Remember getting hauled onto the West Front or yard every few years for a group photo, they are now online here

http://liverpoolbluecoat.fotopic.net/

bookings are now being taken for the Tricentenary weekend, 20-22 June 2008

http://www.bluecoatbrotherlysociety.webeden.co.uk/

PhilipG

What happened in 1708?
    The Bluecoat in town opened in 1718.

I noticed today that it is visible again after being covered for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    What happened in 1708?
    The Bluecoat in town opened in 1718.

I noticed today that it is visible again after being covered for ages.
    The school was founded in 1708 and run from premises in School Lane before moving into the Blue Coat Chambers.

http://www.bluecoatschoolliverpool.o...hool/index.asp

PhilipG

Thanks for that.
    Apparently blue was either the cheapest cloth or the cheapest dye.
    Something I've never been able to figure out is if there was some sort of relationship with other Blue Coat schools in the country, because there were quite a number dotted around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast