Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum of Liverpool

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post

I'm sure there was a wigwam...or something to do with Red Indians..
    to the left of the car as you walked toward the exit...

It will come to me everything that was in that basement room..

Thanks..

Gerard.
    I recall an exhibition in the 1950's portraying early American indians. It was opened upstairs. The theme was the American colonial wars and there was a large glass case displaying the Delaware* indian culture.

There was a tomahawk/peace pipe, a bear's robe, bead decorated clothes and wampum bag, bows, arrows etc. There may have also been a conical dwelling.

All very colourful and eye catching. Could these be the items you recall being stored in the basement, Gerard?

Cheers,
    Chas

The bike was an.....

AER 250cc
    A Leyland fire engine
    Flatbed Lorry
    Overhead Raily coach
    Steam tractor

And here it is in 1960 in the world museum....there's no smug emoticon.

Attachment 22421
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anglia.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	22422  

I remember it as you do Gerard, and here it is, up against a wall. Don't forget George goes back a hell of a long way before us

There was a John Masons removal wagon near yo it but right facing was the Leyland Fire Engine which is now in store.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Red face Waiting for me Horlicks to congeal

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post

Attachment 22421
    My pal was right & I am wrong. He also said my memory of the car could be clouded by images from ITV's "Heartbeat". But if I squint my eyes a bit and put on these rose coloured glasses, there...now then that's better. ****ing LIME GREEN!
    I was WRONG
    Grrrrrr
    Chas

Hmmmmmm
    Georges photo shows the colour I remember. Could the other be a ringer? PC McGarry number 452 is on the case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anglia.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	22423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fordanglia.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	22424
    Photo credits to GeorgePogie & Ged respectively.
    Thanks George Thanks Ged

Goodnight Johnboy,
    Chas
    Last edited by chasevans; 08-05-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: MISSSSSSTAKES+ Additions

Wan't there a motorised bathchair
    ,I think you mean the "phaeton",this looked like an oversized pram with a settee style seating.

Attachment 22421

Cheers GP ...."pram with a sofa" I liked that

Name:	liver_phaeton.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	22427
    Colour looks very similar to me just the photo brightness showing a difference
    The car was ceremonially driven off the production line by the Lord Mayor of Liverpool on 8 March 1963 and was handed over to its new owner with a special registration 1KF.

Name:	ford-anglia-pete-carr.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	22426
    The motorbike I remember was black and had an association with TT racing, maybe the museum has a few different models.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Velocette_KTT_Mk_I_350_cc_OHC_Racer_1929.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	22428

Spent many hours in the old museum with my lads in the early 70's, they loved the transport section with all the "olden days" stuff they said I used when I was a boy, cheeky little sods.

That 'basement' transport museum was great. It could best be entered by the disabled access to the museum at ground level which was alongside all those steps. ( so just like you enter it now without walking up them) When you entered the museum, you were in a dark foyer. If you did an immediate sharp left, that was the staircase up to the other floors, to your left at 9 o'clock were the toilets and straight ahead of you on the left was the dark corridor aquarium (at the other end of that corridor were the spiders and snakes in glass cases then the other stairs up) Back top the entrance foyer and the transport museum was to your right, up about 2 or 3 steps.

When you first entered it, the John Masons removal wagon was on your right, the Anglia was around the corner on the left. Facing it was the fire engine with its ladder on a wheel. There were bone shakers/penny farthings on the wall and railway carriages with dummies in and sometimes a film show would be on in one of them. The Lion locomotive was also on view in the far right corner. This has been in the Bootle's stores for years and will soon be in the new museum having been restored and was in the film Thunderbolt.

I remember it well Ged. Although living in the outback we were there all the time. Great place.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Don't forget George goes back a hell of a long way before us
    Cheeky sod,you were in your nappy,I was in me short trousers....I suspect MrF was in his longies and if he's older than me and can't remember the Anglia sitting on the floor without obstruction all around then his mem is fading.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Cheeky sod,you were in your nappy,I was in me short trousers....I suspect MrF was in his longies and if he's older than me and can't remember the Anglia sitting on the floor without obstruction all around then his mem is fading.
    Nice one George, I like that...

MrF..for the record, was about 9 to 12 or so when I went there a lot as a kid..
    I'm supposed to be 'Years' older the the other MrF.. that right Geddo ?

I reckon Geddo's been on the blower again for his info..
    he's too young to remember all in that place..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

No blower needed and who would I ring ha ha. No, we were always in there traipsing round after girls. Seeing the same old guards, the same old exhibits. Up on the 3rd floor with all the space and rockets stuff then giggling running down the stairs to where the polar bear and arctic fox was and the lion chasing the zebra was and all that, then 15 mins later back on the 3rd floor after different better looking girls to bemused looks from the guard who must have been thinking they were up here before. Getting told off for making a noise on the echoey staircases.

Do you remember that model in the glass case on the 2nd floor, just as you came in from the stairs. It was of the pinewoods at formby with the railway line running up alongside it and you could press buttons and parts of the woods would light up. That ended up being donated to a school in formby and it stood in their foyer.

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    I recall an exhibition in the 1950's portraying early American indians. It was opened upstairs. The theme was the American colonial wars and there was a large glass case displaying the Delaware* indian culture.

There was a tomahawk/peace pipe, a bear's robe, bead decorated clothes and wampum bag, bows, arrows etc. There may have also been a conical dwelling.

All very colourful and eye catching. Could these be the items you recall being stored in the basement, Gerard?

Cheers,
    Chas

They could be Chas mate, I reckon now though I must have saw those...
    Red Indian items in another part of the museum..
    I don't though think they'd be in a transport section..
    I cant get this image out of my head though...
    its an Indian on a white horse now.. its doin' me friggin 'ead in..

Cheers matey.. G...

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    No blower needed and who would I ring ha ha. No, we were always in there traipsing round after girls. Seeing the same old guards, the same old exhibits. Up on the 3rd floor with all the space and rockets stuff then giggling running down the stairs to where the polar bear and arctic fox was and the lion chasing the zebra was and all that, then 15 mins later back on the 3rd floor after different better looking girls to bemused looks from the guard who must have been thinking they were up here before. Getting told off for making a noise on the echoey staircases.

Do you remember that model in the glass case on the 2nd floor, just as you came in from the stairs. It was of the pinewoods at formby with the railway line running up alongside it and you could press buttons and parts of the woods would light up. That ended up being donated to a school in formby and it stood in their foyer.

I'm kiddin Ged...I know it was open later in my teens so you obviously like me were
    never out the place...

Chasing the girls eh.. tell me about it...me and my mate..
    you know his brother, always on the mooch back then aged about 15..

Ta lad..

Gerard.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

The echoey staircase... ?

Its all coming back now mate...

Bloody hell, I didn't know about that. What a playground to have all around there though eh, we didn't know we were born.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Bloody hell, I didn't know about that. What a playground to have all around there though eh, we didn't know we were born.
    That is so true...it really is..

So many many memories of around that area..
    Little Wembley... 12 of us aged about 9 up the top
    of the Wellington Column.. It frightens me now, it really does...
    thinking of all the pushing and shoving on that open balcony up that column
    with just one handrail and nothing under it but fresh air and a huge drop..

The Cafe in Lime St...remember that.. ?
    robbing the steak pies... well, we were only little tearaways..(honest..)

Many many many ..toooooooo many memories and tales to mention..

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Off me pop Ged...again !!

have a good weekend lad..

Gerard..

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast