Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Remember the One O'Clock Gun?

I am sure we heard the one-oclock gun out as far as Dovecot maybe when the wind was in the right direction.
    My wife and I also used a merchant ship to travel to Canada. We actually started the journey in Manchester and down the canal. The ship was the Manchester Renown, now that was the way to travel, got a bit rough for a few days and one of the new crew was under the weather but the wife and I managed to weather the weather so to speak. Ended up traveling through the thousand Islands into Lake Ontario and docked at Toronto. That was a very good introduction to the size of Canada

Gerard

The 1 O'Clock Gun ..Last fired 18th July 1969.

http://www.pol.ac.uk/home/insight/timeball.html

Right so I was 4...so I probably DREAMT it

Thanks Gerard

Default It's a small world

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi MissInformed

I first emigrated to the U.S. with my parents at age seven in 1955 but was so homesick that I was allowed by my Mom and Dad to come back and live with my grandparents in Mossley Hill. I went to Rose Lane School and Quarry Bank from 1961 to 1967, worked for Martin's Bank in Aigburth Vale and in the cash center by the Town Hall for a year then came back to the US in August 1968 on board a United States Lines container ship from Bootle... one of the last merchant ships to carry passengers I believe. Been here ever since, living in the Baltimore area.

Chris
    I've just moved to Liverpool from Washington, DC. Liverpool and Baltimore are similar, I would think, in their port city riches-to-rags-to, it appears for them both, -riches again life histories. They say people emigrate to new worlds that remind them of their old worlds. Would you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by PaxCat View Post
    I've just moved to Liverpool from Washington, DC. Liverpool and Baltimore are similar, I would think, in their port city riches-to-rags-to, it appears for them both, -riches again life histories. They say people emigrate to new worlds that remind them of their old worlds. Would you say so?
    Hello PaxCat

"Pax" as in Patuxent? Yes Baltimore has been called the Liverpool of the East Coast of America and you are right they both grew up out of nothing to become great ports and both have a big working class with a great sense of humor. Are you a Yank or a Brit, PaxCat?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

You could hear the One O Clock gun clealry in New Brighton, although maybe it depended on the direction of the wind, as I can't remember if we could hear it every day. Thinking of childhood sounds, I can also remember the high toned whine of what I used to think were Viscounts (but may have been another type of plane) on their approach to Speke. I would always look up at them, wondering who it could be that would be in an aeroplane, a real source of mystery and wonderment for me. What other sounds were distinctice? We used to get fog horns in winter, and of course at New Year.

There is a pub on the Ford estate near Birkenhead called the One-O-Clock Gun. This isn't far from Bidston and the observatory so there is probably a connection of some sort.

The One-O-Clock Gun still sounds in Edinburgh each day. I've heard it as recently as October last year. It is fired off from the castle and if you're sitting in the gardens below you don't half jump. It leaves a cloud of smoke behind.

I have heard the one O Clock gun in Edinburgh, doesn't half deafen you when you are stood next to it when it's fired.

I wish Liverpool still had a one O Clock gun, I am far far too young to know about it sadly.
    I wonder if he'll make me crawl. I wonder how far I might fall. I'm stuck beneath my skin I don't know who to blame for this mess I'm in. Involuntarily falling to my knees another victim of heart disease. Another Night without a dark tunnel, stay in bed so I can't be stolen. And everything revolves around the fear of my fate. Everyday a little closer to death.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

If you go to the maritime museum, and walk through to the Albert dock side, just on your right is a 32Pdr Gun used as the one O’clock gun.

The image is of the plaque on the side of the gun. I did have an image of the gun but where it is now, I don’t know??

Default 1 oclock gun

I have some info on this, The original gun was last fired in 1969 hovever the custom was revived I think in the 90s as part of the atractions for the Albert Dock. An old gun at the Albert dock had its breach remade so that it would take 12 bore. a blank 12 bore is used to fire the gun at the Albert dock every day or is it just weekends my memory fades. If you happen to be there when the gun is fired the man who fires it has a wealth of knowlege on the gun. He told me he was the last person to fire the original from the other side of the water.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi all

Does anyone remember -- or does it still occur -- the one o'clock gun?

Chris
    I remember the one o' clock gun. At the time I thought it was set off to let the people in the factories in Birkenhead know it was time to get back to work.

Later, I found out that the gun was set off to allow ships in the mersey to set their chronometers.

We don't have the one 0' clock gun anymore Chris. All our time signals now come from Hereford - electonically. (Via Grenwich of course,)

Thanks, Steven. It's kind of sad such an old tradition would go by the wayside. And thanks to drone_pilot for posting the photograph of the plaque about the gun at the Maritime Museum, that I had missed before now.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Here's a couple of pics of the first One O'Clock Gun.

This One O'Clock Gun is located at the waterfront, at the Northern end of Morpeth Dock. It is surrounded by fencing, but when I passed, the gate was open. After travelling a little bit North, I had to move inland to avoid Twelve Quays. I think normally, you have to turn inland just before this fence and follow the edge of the Morpeth Dock.

chippie

CRACKER PHOTOS THERE Marky thanks mate

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast