Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Grove...What A Waste

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Spot on Lindy! Ken Dodd even predicted it would be burnt down - because he knew that property developers were interested... And so it came to pass... And there are so many other examples...

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

So, who reclaimed it for the 'labouring classes'? It does look a bit like the Port Sunlight housing erected by Lord Leverhulme for his soap workers. But who would be the enlightened philanthropist in this instance? -- I see there was a bottle factory nearby (Shades of Beryl Bainbridge?) ... but would that have been important enough to have had the funding for such a venture?... Anyone know?
    I'd guess it was just a natural development, as the city expanded. The better off, moved further away from the growing industry, and their place was taken by the working classes. The development of social housing,like Eldon place,was pioneered by Liverpool, though this is later than St.Martins cottages,which were the first!

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Some pics when the gates were open and nobody around.

The panoramic one went a bit squewiff ! !

Mart
    Apparently, I used to get wheeled up there,in my pram,and parked up,while my older brother played footy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post
    I live on the doorstep, I'm around there all the time taking photos...
    I get on with the kids and they are all OK..I'll vouch for that personally.

The only things dodgy Ste going on in Eldon Grove are the gypsies arriving daily
    (when the gates were open..) loading their wagons stealing the boilers and metal...
    and the Polish imigramts in the flats stealing the copper cables...
    I know..I saw it and walked up to them and took their photographs...
    and I suspect it was these people cutting and burning power cables that caused the recent fire..

Maybe the people around there have had enough of Eldon Grove being invaded and robbed by outsiders..
    Maybe the kids are trying to keep them out... and thats what I think for what its worth..

100% spot on.... if I see macho men "explorers" in combat keks trying to look dead hard hanging around there I'll tell them where to go as well....
    I was 1 of them explorer's confronted by say 8 black tracksuit clad scum, aged between say 16-18 the other day mate,they spotted us going in & at 1st,they thought we were coppers with the trying to be funny comments of "what yer doing there copper??" then when the penny dropped which was after 5 mins because we all know how thick the black tracky scum can be & they tried to tax us...

We made our way around to the front of the building to which a few minutes later the clad followed us in,at this point i thought sod it,it's not worth the hassle,we got out but still the gang continued to follow us all the way to Grt Homer St then we lost em..

I am not what you said,this so called "macho men "explorers" in combat keks trying to look dead hard hanging around" i was simply trying to document the place by simply takin photographs like other's before me have & you have also done yourself ...

I have been a explorer for a few years now & really enjoy it,i do not break into buildings or steal from buildings,i simply just take pics & leave. I feel documentation is important esp when a building has been closed for a number of years & the community is trying do something about it & if i have pics of a particular building they are trying to get up & running, i will always give my pics free of charge to the community group & the Lpool echo to which i have done in the past...

So i think there is a big difference in someone walking around a site in a pair of combat kecks with a camera & tripod than a person walking around tooled up with instruments to strip & steal...
    "Its a hobby,not a way of life"

Quote Originally Posted by wherever i may roam View Post
    " i was simply trying to document the place by simply takin photographs like other's before me have & you have also done yourself ...

I have been a explorer for a few years now & really enjoy it,i do not break into buildings or steal from buildings,i simply just take pics & leave. I feel documentation is important esp when a building has been closed for a number of years & the community is trying do something about it & if i have pics of a particular building they are trying to get up & running, i will always give my pics free of charge to the community group & the Lpool echo to which i have done in the past...
    Well Said.

I agree.

Like myself you just want to preserve our history. Well done you

Welcome to the forum. Hope you join in and show us some of your pics.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Well Said.

I agree.

Cheers mate..check out my profile,there's a few there bud

Cheers mate..check out my profile,there's a few there bud
    Will do Mate.

Just seen the Robinson Willey pics..Brilliant. Mart will be interested in them.

Well Said.

I agree.

Welcome from me too and well said Spike,

Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

I was 1 of them explorers....

Good for you....
    Last edited by Kev; 02-06-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

If this thread gets closed can we keep the pics and info up please.

Eldon Grove is a very interesting place as proved by the interest shown on here.

If this thread gets closed can we keep the pics and info up please.

Eldon Grove is a very interesting place as proved by the interest shown on here.

It's kev's site so it's up to him, but if it was me I would delete all posts -apart from any proper information ones - and just retain the pictures.

georgie t

anyhow heres a few pics i took off the top balcony at eldon grove

Great shots, GT! You must have a good telephoto lens on your camera. I would think the St John's Beacon is quite a distance from Eldon Grove?
    Last edited by Kev; 02-06-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries

If I could just remind members of the rules. Keep exchanges polite :-)

Sent from the back of Michael Caine's Mini Cooper S, holding on for dear life......
    Last edited by Kev; 02-06-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

If I could just remind members of the rules. Keep exchanges polite :-)

Sent from the back of Michael Caine's Mini Cooper S, holding on for dear life......
    WIMR mate...
    Last edited by Kev; 02-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Blog Entries

WIMR mate...
    Cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Got it now! I thought at first maybe it was intended to read WEIMAR - a possible reference to the locals having declared themselves to be an independent republic, as in Germany?

Meanwhile, amidst all the recent name-calling and ranting, perhaps a query I raised has been overlooked? Can anyone confirm or deny my belief that the Eldon Grove Labourers' Cottages/ Dwellings - whatever the proper name is - was designated as a Listed Building? If so, why are we just bemoaning its passing instead of reminding the Corpy and getting them to chase up the owner? He's presumably playing the usual game of lying low and hoping it will be destroyed beyond repair...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast