Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool One [Paradise Street] Shopping Area [Under Construction]

scouserdave

Fantastic photos Phil.

I love old photos like that. Anyone got any more of the Seel Street area from that era?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    AK1.
    Yes, it does

matter that they've knocked floors off because I won't be standing right next to it and I won't be able to see it from where I live whereas if it was

taller I might.
    I want to see a proper city skyline, not that of Slough or Surbiton.
    Liverpool is not here just to supply Wirral with a nice view, the

rest of us in the city want one too.
    I've every right to be negative with the sh*t that we put up with with regeneration in OUR city.
    So

what you are saying is that everyone in Liverpool should be able to see these buildings which in turn will make it great. What a load of S--t. Firstly alot

of people won't want to see a really tall building from their house, secondly, incase you didn't know, Liverpool is built on a hill therefore people living

in areas such as west derby and croxteth will never be able to see any tall building in the city centre and finally, just because a building is tall doesn't

mean it is great, for example, the World Trade Center buildings where tall but visualy unimpressive and poorly built.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    So what you are saying is that everyone in Liverpool should be able to see these buildings

which in turn will make it great. What a load of S--t. Firstly alot of people won't want to see a really tall building from their house, secondly, incase

you didn't know, Liverpool is built on a hill therefore people living in areas such as west derby and croxteth will never be able to see any tall building

in the city centre and finally, just because a building is tall doesn't mean it is great, for example, the World Trade Center buildings where tall but

visualy unimpressive and poorly built.
    On these skyscraper sites the loonies there drool on about how tall this is and that is, and what a

skyline. Paris has few talls, yet what a city!!!

Croydon has a number of talls in a cluster - not one is of any merit at all. The same with most of

Birmingham and Manchester. Birmingham has one iconic building of any type and Manchester none. Most of the talls are from identikit skyscraper boxes. Very

third world

People in a city see it from the ground and what is offered to them on the ground.

Tall buildings have their place. They have to be

quality as they are so prominent.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    On these skyscraper sites the loonies there drool on about how tall this is and that is, and what a skyline. Paris has few talls, yet what a city!!!

Croydon has a number of talls in a cluster - not one is of any merit at all. The same with most of Birmingham and Manchester. Birmingham has one iconic building of any type and Manchester none. Most of the talls are from identikit skyscraper boxes. Very third world

People in a city see it from the ground and what is offered to them on the ground.

Tall buildings have their place. They have to be quality as they are so prominent.
    ...true enough. Think Rome, think Berlin. Though, to be fair, in the Paris example the La Defense district is visually at least a highly impressive counterpoint.

As for talls in general, I think we're conditioned to hope that someone is going to recreate the iconic clusters and buildings of Manhatten..It would be nice, of course but economics are different now, 'design' is subserviant to function and 'function' in the context of creating an office blocks just aint that spectacular. And we're not washing around in billions of dollars like Hong Kong or Dubai.

Still, I get as excited about this crap as anyone else.

When they see it, most people say: Wow!

TRENDY retailer American Apparel and noodle bar Wagamama are coming to Liverpool.

The latest signings to the £900m Paradise Street project also include Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Strada.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/l...name_page.html

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Here's a reminder.
    All it says on the back of this photo is "Seel Street, 1960", so I can't credit the unknown photographer.
    But I can name all the cars, except for the one on the left of the Ford Popular.
    It is an immediately pre WW2 or '46/7 Austin. They used the same body for the Austin 10 and 12 so it could be either.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    It is an immediately pre WW2 or '46/7 Austin. They used the same body for the Austin 10 and 12 so it could be either.
    Emva Cream. I haven't heard of that for ages. Dubonnet was pushed a lot in those days. As was Martini. Martini is not advertised as much these days, but still around a lot.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    ...true enough. Think Rome, think Berlin. Though, to be fair, in the Paris example the La Defense district is visually at least a highly impressive counterpoint.

As for talls in general, I think we're conditioned to hope that someone is going to recreate the iconic clusters and buildings of Manhatten..It would be nice, of course but economics are different now, 'design' is subserviant to function and 'function' in the context of creating an office blocks just aint that spectacular. And we're not washing around in billions of dollars like Hong Kong or Dubai.

Still, I get as excited about this crap as anyone else.
    I can't stand places like hong kong and dubai. They are completely false and completely unfair places. The money is concentrated in the centres and the suburbs are full of third world poverty. It is the same with shanghai. Other countries including ourselves could do this but we have true democracies with morals and very little corruption.

PhilipG

Thank you, Shytalk.
    I also have to admit that I'm not sure what your car is (but I'm going to blame it on the size of the avatar. )

Blog Entries

Hows about a Yo! Scouse bar selling scouse by the bucketload
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Thank you, Shytalk.
    I also have to admit that I'm not sure what your car is (but I'm going to blame it on the size of the avatar. )

That pic was taken with a box camera about 1956, I found it recently, cracked faded and stained, a friend of my wifes restored it. The car was my first one, I was 17 in the pic. It was a 1937 Ford Y model. It was taken in Maryland St. which is parallel to Hardman St. I worked for Blakes the Ford main dealer at that time.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...elbyKerma2.jpg
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

PhilipG

That pic was taken with a box camera about 1956, I found it recently, cracked faded and stained, a friend of my wifes restored it. The car was my first one, I was 17 in the pic. It was a 1937 Ford Y model. It was taken in Maryland St. which is parallel to Hardman St. I worked for Blakes the Ford main dealer at that time.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...elbyKerma2.jpg
    Blakes in Hardman Street is a pub now.
    Likewise their premises in Rodney Street.
    I was a car spotter in the late 1950s and 1960s.
    I still have my Observer Books of Automobiles.
    The Ford Consul, based on the Ford Thunderbird, was my favourite car.
    The Zodiac was a bit too flashy, I thought, but the same bodyshell.

They didn't have premises in Rodney St., do you mean the'Safety Lane' depot that fronted onto Brownlow Hill?, That was a huge repair and storage shop named for the lane that ran through the middle of it.
    Winston Churchill

PhilipG

They didn't have premises in Rodney St., do you mean the'Safety Lane' depot that fronted onto Brownlow Hill?, That was a huge repair and storage shop named for the lane that ran through the middle of it.
    I'm sorry about that.
    I meant Hope Street, next door to the Philharmonic Pub.
    Was that the same premises as Hardman Street?

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast