Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

Quote Originally Posted by gynsman View Post
    Think I've just spent the best part of an hour reading the posts on this thread and found it absolutely fascinating. I'd never been aware of any of the cases discussed until reading the thread. Just ordered a copy of George Skellys book with the library and look forward to reading it.
    It's obvious that the whole affair was a tragic miscarriage of justice caused, in my opinion, by what appears to be a dubious "arm of the law". My heart goes out to the families of the victims who are no nearer now to seeing any sort of closure as they were 60 odd years ago.
    I wouldnt be too sure of your last sentence. Mr Skelly's book was partly instrumental in having Kelly and Connolly's convictions quashed by the Court of Appeal in 2003. I'm sure he will succeed likewise in the cases of Devlin and Burns - both with his forthcoming book and his referral of the case to the CCRC.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    many thanks I will have a look on my travels

Steve
    I still maintain that its the best book ive ever read (and I've read a fair few). Read it and believe it, it's all true. George Skelly is a good friend of mine I am proud to say. Hopefully the reaction of Liverpool People to Balmer will be more vociferous than it was after the Cameo appeal and that the authorities will 1. Apologise for what happened (Chief Constable Merseyside Police on behalf of the Liverpool city Police), 2. Liverpool city council apologise on behalf of the Watch Committee members who lavished awards on the investigation team and withdraw those awards 3. Re-investigate the crimes if that is indeed possible after all these years and investigate any participant of the investigation that may be still alive and finaly 4. Withdaw Balmers OBE and KPM that he was awarded on the back of these investigations. The Home Office tell me that this cannot be done as the regulations dont permit it, maybe its time the regulations were changed. Balmer lied and an innocent man was hanged by the neck for it. The appeal judges said Balmer lied and that is good enough for me. A third murder was committed in this case and Balmer was the killer.

Oh and one more wrong that should be perhaps put right. The city council and perhaps the Police should pay for a proper headstone for George Kelly, a nice elaborate one because i reckon his last resting place was more dignified when he was under the car park at Walton prison!

Gynsman, dont be taken in by the family. I know how they treated George Skelly and Lou Santangeli after the appeal and you would not believe it. There is only one reason why they have an interest in "Uncle George" and that is all in the title of an Abba no 1!

Blog Entries

Here is a photo of George Kelly`s funeral,
    A cold wet day. George Skelly and I were refused admission to the Cathedral, they had Security men on the door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of CNV00012..JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	14325  

I remember, you had to stand outside the doors of the Cathedral in the pouring rain. I should have been there but i couldn't go. Nice way to treat somebody who exposed the truth wasn't it!

Thanks underworld, what is the book title so that I can buy it.
    I agree that a fitting stone should be provided by the Police
    Thanks to a friend in Allerton I have the section and plot details.

Thanks

Steve

I have the plot details somewhere. It is not an easy grave to find as it is not marked with a number. They talked me to the grave over the phone. Let me know what you think Steve. Have a look at the plastic placard that is on the grave and you may able to see the faded name "George Kelly" on it if it is still there.

It seems that the final sentence on my previous post may have been misinterpreted by some of you as I was actually referring to the families of those who were murdered. From what I've read on here about poor George Kellys remaining family, well nothing to say really as it's already been said.

Having just been to visit my parents and mentioned this thread to them I've found out that my Mums family were pretty friendly with the Connollys. Mums family (the O'Malleys) lived in Hurst Gardens and as kids grew up alongside the Connolly family. Mum couldn't speak highly enough about them so I think it only right to mention a couple of things she mentioned.

When my Auntie Marjie was only two she actually fell from the wall outside the tenement that the O'Malleys lived in, a drop of about 40 feet I'm led to believe. One of the Connolly girls (sorry, she couldn't remember which one) actually caught her and broke her fall, saving her from serious injury.
    She spoke very highly of Eddie Connolly as she always remembers him being really good to them when they were kids and he always made a fuss of my Nan. She tells me he was once a compere at Allisons and "one of the most handsome men she'd ever met" (Dad just grunted at this stage!!).
    Finally, until recently she worked as a domestic with Eileen/Irene Connolly up at Whiston Hospital. They got on really well as they were both grafters.

I know none of this has anything to do with the case but just thought some of you might find it interesting.

l

Blog Entries

A long time ago Charles Connolly told me that Balmer had committed the Perfect Murder. He got the State to kill George Kelly. Eileen is a lovely lady.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    I have the plot details somewhere. It is not an easy grave to find as it is not marked with a number. They talked me to the grave over the phone. Let me know what you think Steve. Have a look at the plastic placard that is on the grave and you may able to see the faded name "George Kelly" on it if it is still there.
    Hi
    will do I do have the burial details so will pop down one day and have a look.
    Strange thing is I beleive he was RC yet he is in a general section
    Watch this space

Yes, Charlie did work at Allansons and also on the door at the Derby Lodge in Roby.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Yes, Charlie did work at Allansons and also on the door at the Derby Lodge in Roby.
    what is the title of the book ?

Gynsman, I don't doubt what you say but according to the book, The Cameo Conspiracy, the Connolly family actually lived in St Oswald Street itself, not the tenements. Although, I can quite see how the girls may have played there.
    Also, I don't think Eddie Connolly was ever a Compere. rather was he a doorman with Charlie on Allinsons and the Derby Lodge as Underworld says.. I
    t is interesting that your Mums family were O'Malley's because George Kelly's live- in girlfriend was Doris O'Malley. Any relation?
    Re.Irene Connolly, she is Charlie Connolly's sister. Eileen Connolly is his wife. So which one worked in Whiston Hospital?

Hi Lord Dick.
    I think all the kids used to play on a piece of old wasteground close by (didn't they used to be called an oller??).
    Mum may have gotten confused over Eddie's exact role. She remembers him being at Allinsons as my Uncle Joey used to be in a band and played one of his first gigs there.
    No Doris O'Malley in the immediate family so just a coincidence there I think, but you never know!!!
    It was Irene, Charlie's sister, that Mum worked with at Whiston hospital.

Talking about the case to Mum opened up memories that she hadn't thought about for a long time I think and she reeled off a few stories about her time in Hurst Terrace, most of which I'd never heard before.

Blog Entries

I sailed with Eddie on one of the Canadian Pacific liners. The Empress of England or the Britain in the 50s or early 60s . I met him again at the very first book launch in The Globe in Cases Street,
    I also sailed with their Dad, Mr Connolly senior, I cant think of his first name at the moment, had many a good talk with him about Charles`s case, from August to December in 1955 on the Cunard White Star Liner Georgic.

The Cameo Conspiracy is sometimes a difficult book to obtain. You may find it on Ebay and i'm not sure if George has any left. Do you want me to ask?

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast