Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rag Day 1936

Blog Entries

Default Rag Day 1936

Colin Mcindoe emailed me in reply to a recent blog where he reminisced about his Liverpool schooldays and remembered a short verse he had gleaned from the 1962 Sphinx – that slightly risque Panto magazine that students sold as part of their Rag Week charity drive.“I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high [...]

More...

Great pic' Colin! I think I did read about why,rag-week came to an end,but can't now remember?? I've still got a "Pantosphinx" programme from 1976,somewhere,and I think they ended a few years later!

Blog Entries

It is not a satisfying search at all.

It began about 1900 (late Victorian) it began either as Cambridge students collecting rags to clothe the poor(?) or in the selling of bits of rag on which poetry had been written the proceeds of this sale going to the poor/charity.
    The idea that RAG means 'raising and giving' is a back-formation from the habit above.

I shall keep this topic in mind and if I come across anything else I shall post it here.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Liverpool Hope University has this to say...

"The RAG (Raising and Giving) Society, which organizes fun events such as drama performances and trips to Europe (in Halloween costumes!) to raise money for charity.
    - The Irish Society- Liverpool Hope's large Irish community holds lots of events throughout the year, promoting Irish culture and sports. The Society puts on a huge St Patrick's Day party, complete with live traditional music.
    - The Drama Society performs regularly at the Cornerstone campus, so whether you are a seasoned performer or a raw beginner, you'll be able to take to the stage!
    - The Bio Diversity group monitors and maintains the wildlife and flora at Liverpool Hope's campuses. Regular surveys and walks take place throughout the year.
    - The Political Debating Society - This group meets regularly to debate the political issues of the day, as well as host prominent guests such as representatives of the three major British political parties. Recently they welcomed a Member of European Parliament to speak to the group."

here...

http://www.goabroad.com/providers/li...iverpool-67199

Blog Entries

Not quite what I was looking for, but something you would enjoy...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml

Hi all

I had forgotten about "Rag Week" and can remember them from my teenage years in Liverpool during the Sixties. One bit of humor that I can remember that I may have mentioned here before is that the students rigged up a mannequin or else had a live female student with a pillow under her dress to make her look way along in pregnancy. The girl or mannequin was standing near the Adelphi pointing across the road at Epstein's famous statue of "Liverpool Resurgent" -- of course the famous nude statue on the prow at the corner of Lewis's. Maybe that also points out why Rag Day or Rag Week is no longer... it was politically incorrect in some respects, too off-color for today's starchy world. I remember that the students put out mags that had political satire and other humor. They are probably collector's items today if anybody still has any.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I remember rag week from the 1960's and 70's. the rag mag was always full of mostly quite rude cartoons and jokes !!

Still got half a dozen of these.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I took some good pictures of the 1966 and 1967 Panto Parades, but they are now it too poor a condition to copy.

I have already arranged to get better copies from the Guild Gazette archives when I'm back in Liverpool next Feb.

I post them here when I get them - looking back, the creativity and work put into the floats by the students was quite amazing...

I always thought that the term "Rag" in rag week was from "ragging" i.e. taking the ****.

John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danensis View Post
    I always thought that the term "Rag" in rag week was from "ragging" i.e. taking the ****.

John
    Maybe it is a language thing. A sort of 'urinary tract inflection'.

It could be worse though.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I think I`ve posted this before,the students rag parade in St Georges place late 1950`s early `60s
    Taken with an Ilford Envoy camera
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Hi,

I realise this thread is over a year old but I came across it while doing a bit of research! I'm currently the President of the RAG society at the University of Liverpool. From what I can gather, RAG at the Liverpool of Uni was a pretty well established society until 2004/05, it then 'disappeared' until 2007 when it was re-established here, but has still been quite small ever since in comparison to RAG Societies at other Universities.
    Having had a rummage through our RAG Office, I've found some really interesting stuff; a whole back log of RAG mags, and articles and photos from the 30's of what was then PantoWeek. Since RAG has been pretty small over the past few years, we're planning to re-launch it and re-launch Rag Week at Liverpool Uni. We plan to do a collection in town every day for one week (in March) in Panto costumes, and are planning on organising a Pantomime in the Guild, we will also be re-creating past fundraising events.
    What I would love to do, is have a big event displaying old photos of Rag Week, any old articles or video footage, and I was wondering if any of you had any such things! Or even if you just want to share some stories or memories of Rag Week that would be really great! I think its about time RAG Week came back to Liverpool Uni!
    Thank you,
    Jane

Jane that idea to bring back Rag week & Panto day seems to be a great idea, providing you can raise adequate funding. there should be no shortage of participants with the enormous student population now resident in Liverpool .
    I remember the Floats were stored in yards in Crown Street prior to the procession , all manner of wagons were used including coal wagons, I have a Pantosphinx mag from about the Mid sixties I think. Some of the jokes are hilarious, if I recall correctly in this mag it stated Panto Balls would be held in both the Grafton ,Liverpool and the Tower Ballroom New Brighton . I will have to dig the issue out and have another read through. It would be great if you could post up some images from your Archive collections Jane

Cheers

collegepudding

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    I remember the Floats were stored in yards in Crown Street prior to the procession , all manner of wagons were used including coal wagons, I have a Pantosphinx mag from about the Mid sixties I think. Some of the jokes are hilarious, if I recall correctly in this mag it stated Panto Balls would be held in both the Grafton ,Liverpool and the Tower Ballroom New Brighton . ....
    To show how involved the floats were, here is the winning float from 1966 made by Gladstone Hall.

IIRC it was built on a flat trailer (no power) and pulled by 50 students dressed as red indians.

My photo from the Feb 22, 1966 Guild Gazette -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panto-1966-1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	23565

I apologize for the "picture of a picture" but the original was too large for my scanner. The final quality is not too bad though.

Great pic' Az! The 70's ragmag was called "Pantosfinx",and I think I've still got a copy.......somewhere!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast