Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Parks and Grounds

Default Sefton Park & Wavertree Botanics

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Hi Hilary,i've left you a couple of messages on your site one about Newsham Park.I used to live behind it briefly on Fairfield Crescent around 1993.It really is a true green oasis.I feel privaleged to have lived there & regretted leaving there ever since.Is it true they have now built a college on part of this beautiful park,if so then it's unforgivable.Grade two listed as well.I noticed somewhere that even The Bishop of Liverpool got involved in this as well,although a little misguided if you ask me.How on earth was they able to get away with this.Im sure there must have been a lot of opposition to this at the time.
    What about the brown sites surely there must have been somewhere more suitable,im disgusted with the City Council if they forced this on people then they should be ashamed of themselves & i say this as an ex Lib Dem member/supporter.
    Thanks Terry, Yes I've posted your comments - v interesting!
    Hope you liked the photos of Sefton Park... was especially pleased with the heron, grebes and cygnets!
    What do you think about the Wavertree Botanics situation I mention on the website? Seems very sad to me - am trying to find ways to get things improved.... If anyone woud like to campaign on this, do let me know.
    Best,
    Hilary
    www.hilaryburrage.com

Hi Hilary, when I was a kid Newsham Park was just so beautiful. I go far enough to have used the row boats, before the were destroyed in the early '60's. I even remember the windmill by the small pond. I don't think too many on here would remember that. Walking thru. the gardens alongside Judges drive was an experience to be remembered. It's a shame so many of the parks have been allowed to decay and be taken over by smackheads.

Blog Entries

A Liverpool park has won a £5m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).

The money will be spent on improvements and restoration of existing features at the Grade II listed Sefton Park.

The Aviary cafe will be refurbished to include a park ranger base and educational centre, and the Eros Fountain will undergo a major facelift.

The Victorian glasshouse, the Palm House, has already been restored with a £2.4m HLF grant and the bronze statue of Peter Pan also restored.

The park was designed by Edouard Andre, who designed the Tuileries Gardens in Paris.

The Peter Pan statue was restored last December

Other plans include repairing footpaths, restoring all statues and fountains.

The area received £200,000 two years ago which was used to set up a team of landscape architects, tree surgeons, ecologists, engineers and water feature experts to draw up plans to improve the 269-acre site.

Liverpool city council's executive member for environment and heritage, Councillor Berni Turner, said: "We have had our fingers crossed that the HLF would approve the grant. It's fantastic news to be given the green light!

"Sefton Park is one of the city's most popular green spaces and hundreds of thousands of people spend time there every year.

"These new plans will give the whole park a much-needed re-vamp and I'm positive that the improvements will attract even more visitors." HLF's regional manager, Tony Jones said: "We have a long history of support for Sefton Park including £2.4 million to transform the Palm House and we're delighted to be able to extend that commitment with today's announcement." source...
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

People playing baseball,cricket,flying kites and relaxing at Otterspool Promenade.

Blog Entries

I'm going to the Hub festival later and will post some pics, cheers Paul, lovely snaps of The Prom. The grafitti wall should be a treat!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

POLICE and council wardens have launched a crack-down against a 200-strong gang of teenagers causing trouble in a Liverpool park. more

200? That's more than a typical Primary School population!!

A record-breaking number of the city's green spaces scooping the national Green Flag award. more

Liverpool is one of the safest cities in the country and the police and Liverpool council are determined to make it even safer by dealing effectively with anti-social behaviour. This type of behaviour is not acceptable in our open spaces.
    Last edited by Kev; 07-24-2006 at 01:51 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    POLICE and council wardens have launched a crack-down against a 200-strong gang of teenagers causing trouble in a Liverpool park. more

200? That's more than a typical Primary School population!!

A record-breaking number of the city's green spaces scooping the national Green Flag award. more
    Bring back the parkies and let the law abiding majority reclaim the streets!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymac
    I don't think too many on here would remember that.
    Hey Bobby, d'you remember the aviary next to the ice cream shop, where you could moor your boat and nip up the steps for a bottle of 'pop'? ...and the little shelters in case of inclement weather? ...and the little cast iron water thingummies, with the steel cup on a chain? ...and the immaculate bowling greens, where you could hire a set of 'woods' for ninepence! Aaaah those were the days!

But then the aviary was wrecked and the little shop was burned down, the bowling green hut was broken into and all the 'woods' were stolen. all this long before the smackheads came along. I suppose we always had the problem of kids with bricks for brains, then and now, it's just that it seems to be getting worse. If my memory serves me correctly, the boathouse too was broken into and the boats destroyed. Hence the 'boating lake' without boats — and all this over thirty years ago!

I guess times don't change that much, eh?
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Aye Scouse, jogging me memory eh? Yer, the bowling greens were over by the small railway bridge which led to the swings, plots and Sutton St.Many's the time I've 'nipped' up those steps to the little cafe. They sold a mean Ice Cream Soda.
    If I remember right the boats met their end about '62 a bunch of skinheads with as much inside their 'eads as there was on the outside.
    I imagine the iron drinking thingummys, along with the cups ended up in someones yard. Shame things never change much for the better. Tata.

Have your say about Liverpool's Parks

From the 1st August 2006 you will have an opportunity to tell us what you think about Liverpool's Parks.

GreenSTAT is a national online database that gives local residents the opportunity to comment on the quality of their local parks and green or open spaces and how well they feel they are being managed and maintained.

GreenSTAT is owned and managed by GreenSpace, an independent national charity working with local authorities and their communities to conserve and improve their public parks and green or open spaces.

Discover Parks
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Blog Entries

Good to see the Garston Coastal Reserve grafitti has been cleared from the stones. Hope it stays off but u know what kids are like
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Sefton Park

Good morning!

I wondered if anyone can help me please?

I've just had a query on my site about the fate of the seventh cygnet. If anyone know what happened to it, perhaps you could post a reply to my piece at http://www.hilaryburrage.com/2006/06...and_grebes.php ?

[Also, would of course as ever be pleased to read your commentary on the other parks debates, at http://www.hilaryburrage.com/liverpo...erpools_parks/ .]

It's really good news that Sefton Park is now very likely to get its HLF money, but I guess we should keep up the pressure to make sure it happens a.s.a.p.!

Thanks and best
    Hilary

Did anyone see the recent tv prog about parks & gardens? Not sure what night it was originaly on - we caught up with it on 'Teleport'.
    Anyway, Birkenhead park was featured and you seen lots of the park and learned all about it's history and how New York's central park was copied from it.
    It was a good program. Saw some other lovely parks around different parts of UK.

Blog Entries

Had a nice walk around Clarkes Gardens today. These peaceful gardens feature large open areas of grassland plus the remains of an small children's zoo. It is also the location of *Allerton Hall (The Pub in the Park).

The zoo by the way has been closed for many years. I was lucky enough to visit it when I was a wee small boy . What a shame it's in such a state, a restoration is badly needed!! The rest of the park is lovely. Come on LCC, get a grip!!

*Allerton Hall was owned by William Roscoe between 1798 and 1813. During the American Civil War, the house was rented by Charles Prioleau and acted as a refuge for the likes of Raphael Semmes. It was donated to the City of Liverpool in 1926.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I remember Clake Gardens, I spent many hours there as a kid, it was always clean and tidy, shame to see how it looks now.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast