Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lusitania

Blog Entries

Default Lusitania

IT’S the heartbreaking story of a Liverpool- based liner which has been told many times before.

Yet the true scale of the terrible tragedy which befell the Lusitania still doesn’t seem to have been fully appreciated.

This might all change tomorrow night.

For millions of viewers are expected to watch BBC1’s 90-minute drama Lusitania: Murder On The Atlantic, narrated by and starring John Hannah, who plays a survivor, Professor Holborn, and also featuring Kenneth Cranham, who takes the role of the ship’s Liverpool-born captain, William Turner.

The passenger ship was crossing the Atlantic on May 7, 1915, with 1,959 people on baord.

Source
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks for that I'll watch that.

chippie

I,ll just get myself a cuppa and settle myself down to watch that too. Sounds a good drama

It was on over here last week, excellent.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

chippie

enjoyed most of it but the people stuck in the lift with not an ounce of anguish on their faces took away the moment for me.

Bloody governments again sacrificing people for politics, it really has been war games throughout history. One of these days the people will twig on to governments.

Good acting from the mainstream cast.

Cadfael

I didn't know this until recently, but the very little used St James' Church in West Derby has a unique war memorial depicting the doomed Cunard liner Lusitania.

When I am next there, I'll get a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I didn't know this until recently, but the very little used St James' Church in West Derby has a unique war memorial depicting the doomed Cunard liner Lusitania.

When I am next there, I'll get a picture.
    Interesting Cadfael..

Here in Hawaii, we honor that Cunard Liner and a memorial with a street named .. Lusitania Street, here in Honolulu... aloha..

Politics claimed the lives of the everyday person. It happened here, it's happened since, and it WILL happen again...
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky
    Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club

The wreck of the Lusitania is now owned by a rich American who is constantly battling with the authorities or the courts for diving/reclaim rights. Some artefacts have been brought up over the years rightly or wrongly including one of the ships propellers that is sited near to the Liverpool maritime museum .

But its interesting to note that after the sinking, Royal Navy divers spent the best part of one month working at the wreck site but who knows why? There has always been a dispute over the cargo that the Lusitania was carrying and although we know for certain it was carrying ammunition, the suspicion is that it was carring weapons for the war.

Then there has been further reports that the wreck site is mined. Sounds a bit drastic but intriguing none the less.

George

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    The wreck of the Lusitania is now owned by a rich American who is constantly battling with the authorities or the courts for diving/reclaim rights. Some artefacts have been brought up over the years rightly or wrongly including one of the ships propellers that is sited near to the Liverpool maritime museum .
    Rubens, Rembrandt and Monet paintings were aboard the vessel at the time of her sinking,these were housed in lead tubes but if he recovers these? he's gonna have another court battle on his hands as the Irish Gov are claiming rights to them.

Blog Entries

Here is a very old post card of the Lusitania. She was just one of the 2479 British ships lost to enemy action in WW1. 14,287 lives were lost in that war and the total tonnage of shipping sunk amounted to 7,759,090 tons. The U.boats sank 2099 of those vessels grossing 6,635,059 tons,with the number who perished amounting to 12,723 souls. The U.boat was massively succesful for the Germans as a weapon of war.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lusitania (Medium).jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	11137  

Blog Entries

Hi Brian , shiould nt it be in the Liverpool Sailors thread.
    Cheers, Off to sunny Fleetwood for a few dfays.
    Cheers
    Brian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    Hi Brian , shiould nt it be in the Liverpool Sailors thread.
    Cheers, Off to sunny Fleetwood for a few dfays.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian,
    Can you still get dfays in Fleetwood?
    Haven't seen 'em for years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    Here is a very old post card of the Lusitania. She was just one of the 2479 British ships lost to enemy action in WW1. 14,287 lives were lost in that war and the total tonnage of shipping sunk amounted to 7,759,090 tons. The U.boats sank 2099 of those vessels grossing 6,635,059 tons,with the number who perished amounting to 12,723 souls. The U.boat was massively succesful for the Germans as a weapon of war.
    Not as a winning method of war. The U-Boats failed in two world wars. They never stopped the UK merchant fleet operating and supplying the country. From 1943 onwards they were a waste of time for the Germans as it was clear they were not stopping supplies and men to the UK, and more a morale booster than anything else. They would have been better using the steel, manufacturing capability and men in the army and air force. A hell of a lot of effort went into the failed U-Boat campaign.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

A lot of the men listed on the WW1 Memorial at Our Lady's church Eldon Street died when Lusitania sank.

A few newspaper cuttings here http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/rmslusitania.htm

BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast