Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southampton name removed from QE2

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

QE2 is American owned though isn't she? I was on for 13 months 1987 and 1988 and she was American owned then. My cabin was 5151 I think. Memories!!

I am in East Hampton now, was in Southampton yesterday for lunch and pottering around. The Hamptons, long Island NY of course!!

Been to 'real' So'ton many, many times.

Off back to the beach. They have a computer room here at the resort, I had not known this before yesterday. The room is opposite my cabin too!!!
    Last edited by Ronijayne; 09-19-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Blog Entries

QE2 as from last November, 2008, is now owned by Nakheel of Dubai.
    When it was built in 1969 it was owned by the Cunard Line, it was registered in Southampton and flew the Red Ensign of the British Merchant Navy, it remained a British ship until its sale to Nakheel last November, 2008.
    In 1971 Cunard Line was sold to a British Construction Company, Trafalgar House,
    In 1996 Cunard Line was sold again to the Norwegian Company, Kvaerner.
    The United States company, Carnival Corporation, in 1998 bought 68% of the shares from Kvaerner and then in 1999 bought the remaing 32% of the shares and became the owner of the Cunard Line.
    All Cunard`s Liners, [ QE2,] Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria are British registered ships Flying the Red Ensign of the British Merchant Navy. The new Queen Elizabeth now under construction will also be a British ship registered in Britain under the Red Ensign.

Nakheel has registered QE2 in Port Vila, in Vanuatu and now flies the flag of that nation.
    Her British radio call sign was `GBTT` that had to be changed to, `YJVW6`
    Last edited by captain kong; 09-17-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    Thanks for the information Reg,
    I have sailed on the QE2 many times, done three world cruises on her including her final one last year. and a few Trans Ats and CapeTowns.
    The price of ?50,000,000 was very cheap, there is nearly 50 millions worth of Art on board, including a Falklands War memorial to the British Forces presented by the Military to QE2, left onboard. nothing was taken off, not even a spoon. I can see the Arab Muslims appreciating a British Army Memorial and taking care of it.
    I told the President of Cunard at the time that she should have been sold to Liverpool, but the deal had been done. Someone like McCartney could have bought it for the City, ?50M would have been peanuts to him and he would have been giving something back to the City. What is he saving up for at his age?.
    My plan would have been to have her in a tideless lagoon opposite the Cunard building where she was first designed, very similar to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Cal. I have stayed on her many times and she is fantastic. Well worth a visit if you are over that side.
    Six Deck, crew accommodation, could have been used for Student accommodation
    Five Deck could have been class rooms for the University,
    Four Deck could have been Offices for Liverpool businesses,
    Three Deck could have been used as conference centres,
    Two Deck would have been restaraunts, theatres, shows and entertainments.
    One Deck and above could have been hotel accommodation. Many people could have weekends on board or holidays. A wedding Chapel as well. There would have been a lot of space for a maritime museum.
    That ship would have employed a couple of thousand people to operate and maintain it. It would have been a superb tourist attraction.both for guests and day visitors.
    Liverpool has lost out again on a great money spinner for the City.

What after Cape Town? Alang Beach in Pakistan?, that big graveyard of many fine ships.
    Maybe your next car will be made of steel from her.
    Sad. Sad. Sad. You have some great ideas there, Captain, on what could have been done with her if she had come to Liverpool. Another of those great what if's.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

QE2 as from last November, 2008, is now owned by Nakheel of Dubai.
    When it was built in 1969 it was owned by the Cunard Line, it was registered in Southampton and flew the Red Ensign of the British Merchant Navy, it remained a British ship until its sale to Nakheel last November, 2008.
    In 1971 Cunard Line was sold to a British Construction Company, Trafalgar House,
    In 1996 Cunard Line was sold again to the Norwegian Company, Kvaerner.
    The United States company, Carnival Corporation, in 1998 bought 68% of the shares from Kvaerner and then in 1999 bought the remaing 32% of the shares and became the owner of the Cunard Line.
    All Cunard`s Liners, [ QE2,] Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria are British registered ships Flying the Red Ensign of the British Merchant Navy. The new Queen Elizabeth now under construction will also be a British ship registered in Britain under the Red Ensign.

Nakheel has registered QE2 in Port Vila, in Vanuatu and now flies the flag of that nation.
    Her British radio call sign was `GBTT` that had to be changed to, `YJVW6`
    Captain of QE2 in 1988 had to ask American permission for everything. Carnival own Cunard and that I imagine is why QM2 is the same ugly shape as Carnival ships.

I still have my key to cabin 5151

Won't Carnival own the new ship???

Blog Entries

QM2 was designed by a British Naval Architect, Stephen Paine, I sailed with him on QM2`s maiden Voyage She is a magnificent ship. I have done a few long voyages on her.

In 1988 The Captain of any Cunard Liner did not have to ask the Americans for anything.
    see,..........
    [PDF] CUNARD HISTORY AT A GLANCE
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View
    CUNARD HISTORY AT A GLANCE. 1839. Samuel Cunard establishes the British and North American Steam Packet. Company ? known as the Cunard Line ? principally to ...
    www.cunard.com/images/Content/History.pdf - Similar

Cunard will own the new QE but Carnival is the parent company because it owns Cunard.
    The new QE will be of British registry and will sail under the British Red Ensign. She will be a British ship even tho` Carnival own it.
    Last edited by captain kong; 09-19-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Makes you wonder why? Is there any advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    The American owners clearly recognise the history of Cunard and the value of its trading name. It would undoubtedly diminish the Cunard brand value if their high profile liners named after members of the British Royal family were
    registered outside the UK.

QM2 was designed by a British Naval Architect, Stephen Paine, I sailed with him on QM2`s maiden Voyage She is a magnificent ship. I have done a few long voyages on her.

In 1988 The Captain of any Cunard Liner did not have to ask the Americans for anything.
    see,..........
    [PDF] CUNARD HISTORY AT A GLANCE
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View
    CUNARD HISTORY AT A GLANCE. 1839. Samuel Cunard establishes the British and North American Steam Packet. Company ? known as the Cunard Line ? principally to ...
    www.cunard.com/images/Content/History.pdf - Similar

Cunard will own the new QE but Carnival is the parent company because it owns Cunard.
    The new QE will be of British registry and will sail under the British Red Ensign. She will be a British ship even tho` Carnival own it.
    Really! I have been on QM2 also. I hated the Carnival shape of her and at night she looks like a vegas nightclub with that huge lit up sign. Being part of a 'British fleet' was why the Americans bought Cunard.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post

It is the 'British' bit they bought Steve.

When we used to be coming into a mega storm and the captain wanted to go through it and not around he had to call for permission. We all hated that. Silly of us really as they do own it.

Blog Entries

When we used to be coming into a mega storm and the captain wanted to go through it and not around he had to call for permission. We all hated that. Silly of us really as they do own it.

When I was Master or Captain, I never ever once asked the Office if I could alter course, That is the reason for having Masters on ships, they are the professionals who know their ships and how to handle them in any situation.
    How do the office people know what weather conditions are like??? Are they expert ship handlers??? Do they understand the effects of weather, also depending, is it from ahead, astern, on the beam.
    Are the Office Staff home in bed when the weather changes and the Captain calls saying "What do I do now" ??? Do they get up and look through the window of their apartment in New York and say "The weather is OK here whats it like in the South Atlantic??. No you cannot have permission to alter course."
    Cunard and every other Company I have ever worked for in 47 years of seafaring have never told their Captains to contact the office and ask permission before altering course. Captains are paid to make the decision as they see it. No one in an Office thousands of miles away have a clue what is going on.

When I was Master or Captain, I never ever once asked the Office if I could alter course, That is the reason for having Masters on ships, they are the professionals who know their ships and how to handle them in any situation.
    How do the office people know what weather conditions are like??? Are they expert ship handlers??? Do they understand the effects of weather, also depending, is it from ahead, astern, on the beam. . . .
    Well said here, mate. The captain is master of the ship for a reason.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    It is the 'British' bit they bought Steve.

If the"British" brand, is what was important,why dont we own Rolls Royce,etc! It seems a contradiction that the brand is great,except when it's owned by us,so it's sold off,and re-invented,then, given back to us!? (does this make sense?)

How do the office people know what weather conditions are like??? Are they expert ship handlers??? Do they understand the effects of weather, also depending, is it from ahead, astern, on the beam.
    Are the Office Staff home in bed when the weather changes and the Captain calls saying "What do I do now" ??? Do they get up and look through the window of their apartment in New York and say "The weather is OK here whats it like in the South Atlantic??. No you cannot have permission to alter course."
    Cunard and every other Company I have ever worked for in 47 years of seafaring have never told their Captains to contact the office and ask permission before altering course. Captains are paid to make the decision as they see it. No one in an Office thousands of miles away have a clue what is going on.
    I concur!
    Did you sail as master with Cunard, which companies were you captain with?

Captain Kong.. Priceless.. You said it so well.. and congrads on a life long profession you loved to do...

Your stories and contributions to this forum are excellant!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast