Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum of Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    but I myself find the building grotesque and out of place.
    But your pictures lovely and sweet ,though you do seem a bit young to be writing so cynically.

But your pictures lovely and sweet ,though you do seem a bit young to be writing so cynically.
    115 post,that still classes you as a newbie,maybe you should get to know me first.

I actually like the new buildings around the pierhead - the black glass of Mann Island excluded obviously, nice enough but so very very wrongly located and a crazy idea all told - and with the new revamp and exposed canal link I really think the area is beginning to look and act more of a liverpool to look forward to for locals and tourists alike.

I know this might touch a nerve, but I can't think that sentimentality can be given too much credence in this age, which is indeed sad, and I accept that progress means new, not old architecture. While I do think more thought needs to be given when deciding how to treat palces such as Liverpool, I cant say that it should stay as it is and fall behind compared to other up and coming cities of the UK, although it should be a priority to protect the skyline as that is such a precious commodity. As a part of that skyline I do believe the museum does play its part to enhance the views.

Maybe one more Museum could be argued as overstepping the mark, especially cost, but then, how many other places have a NEW museum, dedicated solely to themselves, and their own history? That in itself is something to be envied. Liverpool has so many options open to it, I just hope that the people with the power to make those decisions can also be sympathetic when deciding what those options are.

This is Just my opinion, I not here to argue the finer points. That wouldnt be my place. But I like it

115 post,that still classes you as a newbie,maybe you should get to know me first.
    Touchy!

George, I agree the local attendance will fall away - then will return as the new galleries open and exhibits are eventually rotated but let's not forget that we are a University city and a tourist attraction in any case so there will always be a steady throughput.

Add to that, the building is of architectural merit in itself, the shape, sweeping staircase, the views from the massive picture windows will always incite those with a flare for finesse. Then the location of it being between the 3 graces and the Albert dock, the shop in there, the cafe, the new outside plaza will ensure a further footfall of passing trade.

I would love this building whether my model was in there or not, it was also in the World Museum, the St. Georges Hall, the echo atrium, I just love the buildings and sorry if that's a bad trait, I don't have a phobia or hatred of anything new - that would be unhealthy to stagnate.

Join the 150,000 - it'll be a quarter of a million before the Mathew st festival is over come the end of the month.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ok here's my take on it.....

We have all seen the old housing photographs of the 17th and 18th century,housing that was in short supply and terrible living conditions.
    At these times money was being ploughed into the city center in new buildings being erected at great expense,meantime no money was being ploughed into the housing conditions on the outskirts of the town center.....

There's a pattern emerging here similair to those times back then and is happening now ie housing shortage run down estates ect,ect...I feel they're wasting far too much money ploughing it into the city rather than give joe public what they need.

Nuff said.

I don't like the look of the building and what it has done to the Graces, but when I am in the 'Pool in October I will look forward to touring the building. It looks to be a decent museum, just wrongly located IMHO -- though I suppose from the tourists' perspective it's a good location despite my griping.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

George. L1, Wirral Waters, New Museum - can you provide figures for what the council has paid towards these at the expense of the ordinary people of Liverpool.

Here though is what the council have done. Fought a three year long legal battle over Edge Lane which cost millions as well as the actually demoltion of houses and road widening works - all for the betterment of the car - rather like the destruction of Scotland Road for a tunnel and hundreds of tenement flats for an 8 lane inner ring road called Byrom Street. I agree with your angst of how money is not better spent but I just think you're targetting the wrong people and apportioning it to the wrong buildings.

Chris. Whilst I agree that we all have our own opinions on whether the shape, or height or colour or the finish of a cladding on a building is all down to personal taste, I wonder where this misplaced perception of 'what it has done to the 3 graces' comes about. Can someone please explain to me what it has in fact done to the 3 graces. Perhaps brought more people down to come and see them judging by the attendances at the museum?

Ged I've said me piece and on an ending note someone paid and the council were involved.....

The covenant dates back to 1963

It insisted nothing was built within 40ft of the river and any new buildings would not be taller than 40ft.

The new Museum of Liverpool breaks both parts of the covenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Chris. Whilst I agree that we all have our own opinions on whether the shape, or height or colour or the finish of a cladding on a building is all down to personal taste, I wonder where this misplaced perception of 'what it has done to the 3 graces' comes about. Can someone please explain to me what it has in fact done to the 3 graces. Perhaps brought more people down to come and see them judging by the attendances at the museum?
    Hi Ged

I am surprised you would ask that. The new buildings are a blot on the landscape, they block the view, they detract from the elegance of the Three Graces. I also have my doubts about the new canal, which seems to be an odd development. I think someone likened a couple of the buildings to shoe boxes... I'd agree... undistinguished and strange looking -- disposable architecture. The Museum of Liverpool building likewise, a piece of architecture that could be found in any modern city but better, I suppose, than the infernal Cloud which was proposed to be foisted on the city as a Fourth Grace. So it could be worse!

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

All opinion Chris - all opinion.

What do people think of the Crown Plaza. Does the fact it's bland get it off the hook. Should we build bland? - are we are bland stagnating city? I'd say the Crown Plaza is undistinguished - an any city building but show me another like the unique X shape Museum by award winning designers and architects. My view of the Liver looking South from certain angles is blocked by the Crown Plaza - bah.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Ged I've said me piece and on an ending note someone paid and the council were involved.....

George. Do you have a link to that covenant? How did it get past the might of UNESCO and their beloved WHS certification. All a bit of a mystery this as it's only on the site of a building that was already there - the MOLL.

Hi Ged

The Crown Plaza is over to the side and less "in the face" than the stuff that has been built since. You can't say that the Crown Plaza takes anything at all away from the Liver Building... it's a lower building at a distance north of that First Grace.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Chris. There is a street between the Liver and the Crown Plaza to the North of the 3 Graces. There is a street between the Port of Liverpool building and the new Museum to the south of the 3 graces. My view if standing behind the Crown Plaza would be no more or less blocked of the 3 graces than if I stood behind the Museum and complained of the same.

George, this is about the Port of Liverpool building convenant that it blocks THEIR view of the red dock offices - not that it blocks your view of the 3 graces.

''NML’s new X-wing museum blocks sight of former dock offices from the Port of Liverpool Building.''

No its not,Ged......

It insisted nothing was built within 40ft of the river and any new buildings would not be taller than 40ft.
    The building is 85ft high at its highest point and is in the boundry of the distance from the river hence why the NML had to pay 750k.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast