Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Railway Stations

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike delamar View Post
    the cheshire lines railway tunnels from kirkdale to walton on the hill?

is that what you mean there, that there is tunnels alongside it?

what that was, is that the tunnels were built in case the line ever had to be widened from 2 tracks to 4, but they never removed the cutting in front of them,

you can see that all along the bridges and tunnels on the the cheshire lines railway bike path to halewood, there wernt any platforms at kirkdale for this line,

kirkdale station on the lancashire and yorkshire railway, the one that is still used, only ever had the 2 platforms on the slow lines, same as it is now, the lines next to that which got lifted in the late 1960s early 70s where what was called the fast lines, from walton junction to liverpool exchange, trains that where not going to stop at kirkdale used these lines, because the electric trains stopped at every station,

ive got some more pics of the tunnels in the steam days somewhere, ill dig em out

cheers

mike
    great hope you find them photos there just does seem to any pics of that bit of kirkdale station,

thanks now i know why there are 2 tunnels next to eachother so they just built 2 incase they needed 4 lines but decided they didnt so thats why the 2nd tunnel was never complete and leads to a dead end?

so this branch did cross the cutting for the canada dock branch so did the bridge crossing it get removed and when?

thanks i understand how kirkdale station worked now it just seems confussing as there are so many branchs running through it i hope you find a photo of the old stair way that was knocked down which lead to that fast lane track i always thought it lead to the 2 tunnels in the corrner and the canada dock branch ya see

also i was thinking of visiting the site of spellow station do you or anyoneelse know how i would get to it of has anyone got resant pics of what state it is in now?

Default Spellow Station

Oritelad

I don't think anything exists of Spellow Station now. All the station buildings have been cleared away, I don't even think the platforms are there either.

got a video here of a cab ride along the bootle branch, made in the late 80s, shows theres still some platform remains at spellow and walton and anfield at that time, think theyre just overgrown now

i think you can see from the entrys at the back of houses on romley st(providing theres no gates on the entry now)

if not could try the bottom of goodison road, or from city road bridge, youll be able to tell from there, dont think its that high to look over

mike

got a video here of a cab ride along the bootle branch, made in the late 80s, shows theres still some platform remains at spellow and walton and anfield at that time, think theyre just overgrown now

i think you can see from the entrys at the back of houses on romley st(providing theres no gates on the entry now)

if not could try the bottom of goodison road, or from city road bridge, youll be able to tell from there, dont think its that high to look over

mike
    nice one m8 na they av them daft black gates on i aint tha sad yet to wait till the bin men come early in the morning i would love to see tha vid please can you take any screen capsions?

Default Spellow station

From the Subterranean Britannica site on Disused Railway Stations:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ow/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    nice one m8 na they av them daft black gates on i aint tha sad yet to wait till the bin men come early in the morning i would love to see tha vid please can you take any screen capsions?

yeah no probs,

only thing is just got this new windows vista and vlc media player which i use to screen capture dosent work with it just yet, and its on video not dvd, but ill try and take a pic of the telly and see if that works

if you ever want to try and get hold of a copy its called "choppers and hoppers"

mike

did a video clip of it instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yACLdKg9R1U

starts just before the old walton and anfield station, down to bootle junction, which is between bank hall and oriel road stations,

poor quality im afraid, just the camera in front of the telly

mike

no i have pics of county road of the old station building its now the bookies i just need to find a way to take pics of spellow station below county road thought your house backed onto it or something no worries i wil keep tryin please visit my website at www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk

it you lucky day.. i live just behind arnots school.. as soon as i get chance i will{beave the rats} and get on the back wall and take you some pics....

mike

that is top........ive just seen the back off my house......all ways wanted to know what it was like.

dose any one know if there is anothe line round the same place just underground. ?

that all your rubbish thats been thrown over?

errr, not deeper than that one to be honest, but there are others, nearest would be around kirkdale,

mike

wow that is a great video i saw loads i needed to see so the spellow station platforms are still there but the stairs have gone also the old tunnel to canada dock station was still there in the cutting at kirkdale thanks 4 that also LIVERLAD08 i hope you are able to take clear photos over ya back that would be boss i have been waiting for ages to find someone who lived near that spellow cutting thats so luckey

great hope you find them photos there just does seem to any pics of that bit of kirkdale station,

i hope you find a photo of the old stair way that was knocked down which lead to that fast lane track
    From my memory of using Kirkdale in the late 60s, the old stairwell led down to the booking office level and then onwards to the 2 platforms .

You could either travel on the diesels to Exchange or Kirkby/Wigan or the electrics to Exchange or Ormskirk the other 2 lines (FAST) had no platforms

I've just posted a 1928 Liverpool map on the forum , this shows many of the Old Stations such as Spellow Lane and many of the other branches

Regards

Rob

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    I have been lurking for a few days and it is absolutely fabulous what you are doing here to make people aware of their history and ancestry.
    I joined after seeing the picture of St James Station and my boyfriend saying "See those steps, I have been down those hundreds of times"
    He works on the railway and has access to the platforms and an interesting series of rooms that originally would have housed the station master and other platform staff. The rooms are located on the left of the photograph under the arched bridge (called bridge 6 on the schematic) and apparently contain general rubbish left by railway staff. He has promised to take some pictures of the rooms and surrounding area next time he is on days.
    He thinks that if there was anything interesting such as signage or documents it would have been flogged by now but he will look anyway.

Did your boyfriend ever get any pics?

chippie

there was a lot of litter on that track, but what a clip, cheers Mike
    Last edited by chippie; 08-18-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: forgotten who posted it

He tried with his camera phone but the quality was pap so he is going to take our digital down there next time. I haven't forgotten

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast