Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Churches of Liverpool

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Richmond Baptist, Breck rd.
    Very nice, Lindy.
    It opened in 1865.
    The architect was Sir James Picton, who was the most famous Liverpool local historian of his time.
    Various things in Liverpool were named after him.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Very nice, Lindy.
    It opened in 1865.
    The architect was Sir James Picton, who was the most famous Liverpool local historian of his time.
    Various things in Liverpool were named after him.

It's a huge church. Pity it's looking a bit run down, it's been in a state of neglect for many years now. No one seems to be maintaining the building. The areas at the sides of the church are full of weeds and litter and the whole place needs a makeover.
    The church has always been popular, it used to have a youth club and coffee mornings etc, - it's still in use but looking a bid neglected now.

Default Richmond baptist church

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    It's a huge church. Pity it's looking a bit run down, it's been in a state of neglect for many years now. No one seems to be maintaining the building. The areas at the sides of the church are full of weeds and litter and the whole place needs a makeover.
    The church has always been popular, it used to have a youth club and coffee mornings etc, - it's still in use but looking a bid neglected now.
    The maintenance of the building will of course be the responsibility of the congregation and ultimately of the whole community it serves. If the community feels the building is being neglected, then they should join the church and provide funds for its repair and maintenance.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Church built 1872 by John Bibby in memory of his first wife Fanny. John Bibby was a Liverpool merchant who largely made his money out of the Copper Trade. He had copper works at Garston and St Helens. there was also involvement in the iron trade.
    All Hallows as seen from the top of St Barnabas, Penny Lane!

Attachment 1959
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 06:25 PM.

theninesisters

St Helens - Sefton

Attachment 1961

PhilipG

Founded in the early 1870s. Now a joiners workshop. The Church grew in Liverpool from a base in Cheshire. More info on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ
    Windsor Street.
    This church opened in 1872 as a Welsh Baptist Chapel, and, as far as I know, didn't become a "Church of Christ" until well into the 20th century.
    I was one of at least 3 people who contributed to this piece on toxteth.net, but it wasn't made clear who contributed what.

For the record, this was my contribution:

Sited at the end of Geraint Street. This opened in 1872 as the Welsh Baptist Chapel, with 350 seats.
    The Welsh congregation is known to have moved from here to Earlsfield Road Welsh Baptist Chapel in the early 20th Century.
    The 1954 OS map shows the building as "Electro Plating Works", but it was Tru-Form Joinery by 1993.

http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...ndsor%20st.htm
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.

theninesisters

I'm gonna put this on, only because even though it was originally built at a Villa in 1851, it was taken over in the 1900's by the First Christ the Scientist Sect, who used the building till the 1960's. Location - Queens Drive, West Derby.

More information at my website - www.gwalia.moonfruit.com

Attachment 2049

Our Lady of the Angels is a delightful Roman Catholic church with a magnificient interior. Unfortunately the church has been closed by the RC Archdiocese of Liverpool and was scheduled for demolition. Fortunately local people managed to get the building listed as being of national importance. It is now saved for posterity. There has been a suggestion that the church is to be used as practice space for the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. I'm not sure if that has been finally agreed.

The building was funded by the adopted daughter of William Imrie of Mossley Hill, co founder of Liverpool's White Star shipping line of later Titanic fame. She converted to Roman Catholicism following the death of her father and became a nun. William Imrie was a member of the High church wing of the Church of England and worshipped at St Margaret's Church, Prince's rd, Toxteth
    I have walked past that a few times on the other side, in Bute Street, is a large bell in the garden. I was going to take a photo last week but there was a lot of litter and the lead on the canopy had been peeled off

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    I have walked past that a few times on the other side, in Bute Street, is a large bell in the garden. I was going to take a photo last week but there was a lot of litter and the lead on the canopy had been peeled off
    Source - http://www.scottiepress.org/projects/smota.htm

A lovely 13cwt (just over 1/2 a ton in today's money) bell which they want to keep next to the church.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Did anyone see that piece in the Echo the other night about Liverpool's best kept secrets? some fella had written a book on them.There was a bit about All Saints Church on Score Lane (the oldest church in Liverpool) which said "see if you can spot the Lepers Squint",through which the lepers,who lived in the valley below,would make their confessions to the parish priest whilst he and the congregation sat safely inside the building.It just shows you how some insignificant detail in a building can have so much meaning doesn't it?

Discover Liverpool is out now for £20 from www.merseyshop.com or you can get a copy by calling this number :0845 143 0001.

Blog Entries

The thread is here Paul
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The thread is here Paul
    Thanks Kev.

Exclamation St John's Baptist Church, Tuebrook

I was driving past the church last week and was shocked to see that the vicarage at the back of the church is up for sale. It would be great to see it spruced up and turned into a great family home, but I have a funny feeling it's going to be turned into offices. I think the vicarage outdates the church, can anyone clarify?

The link below is for the estate agency who are selling it:
    http://www.honeybournekenny.co.uk

Just checked the website again and found that it has planning permission for five self contained flats.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast