Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Face of Fear.

Default Face of Fear.

When Admiral Earl Howe(1726~1799) was a captain he was once hastily awakened in the middle of the nignt by the lieutenant of the watch, who informed him with great agitation that the ship was on fire, near the magazine."If that be the case," said Captain Howe, leisurely putting on his clothes, "we ahall soon know about it." The Lieutenant raced back to the scene of danger and again returned with news ."You need not, sir,be afraid...the fire is extinguished.**AFRIAD!**exclaimed Howe. "What d'you mean by that, sir?? I was never afraid in my life." And looking the lieutenant full in the face , he added, "Pray how dose a man feel when he's afraid? I need not ask how he looks".
    Reg.
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

Reg,
    Your memories from your time at sea equal those of Brian's!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Reg,
    Your memories from your time at sea equal those of Brian's!
    Hi Kevin.
    You are too kind, But I shall never equal those of Brian!
    Reg.
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bangorreg View Post
    Hi Kevin.
    You are too kind, But I shall never equal those of Brian!
    Reg.
    But you're not denying you were at sea in the 1700's?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    But you're not denying you were at sea in the 1700's?
    That's what I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    That's what I thought!
    Hi'
    Well you thought correct' The following is a photo of me taken with 3 others around that date??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the bays.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	11533  
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bangorreg View Post
    Hi'
    Well you thought correct' The following is a photo of me taken with 3 others around that date??
    Ha, nice one Reg.

Partsky

Default My, you Sailors are so Handsome

God Lord, those pictures of you seafaring types is enough to turn a girls head!
    Can any of you sailing types tell me what the Focsle is (is that how you spell it)? Combining the current thread with the ongoing Ghostie one, my elderly neighbour who went to sea for 30 years, knows I am terrified of Ghosts. He tells me a story of being on watch whilst off the Coast of New Zealand and the men on board being terrified of banging noises coming from the said Focsle or whatever it is. Said a man had died whilst the ship was being built whilst working on the Focsle and his spirit was trying to get out. What is this thing used for and is it sealed up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    God Lord, those pictures of you seafaring types is enough to turn a girls head!
    Can any of you sailing types tell me what the Focsle is (is that how you spell it)? Combining the current thread with the ongoing Ghostie one, my elderly neighbour who went to sea for 30 years, knows I am terrified of Ghosts. He tells me a story of being on watch whilst off the Coast of New Zealand and the men on board being terrified of banging noises coming from the said Focsle or whatever it is. Said a man had died whilst the ship was being built whilst working on the Focsle and his spirit was trying to get out. What is this thing used for and is it sealed up?
    I'm no seaman Partsky, but as far as I know the focsle is the former fore castle on an old man of war. This is the front of the ship.

For women, that's the pointy bit.

Partsky

Default Pointy bits indeed

Theres a joke in there somewhere, but we wont go there. I was going to be indignant but realised I do define boats as having "pointy" bits or the "back". bit so didnt even get on my high horse. My seafarer Dad would roll in his grave but he didnt talk about his time at sea much but given what you sailors are saying, or implying, I am not surprised! Thanks for info though.

Blog Entries

Theres a joke in there somewhere, but we wont go there. I was going to be indignant but realised I do define boats as having "pointy" bits or the "back". bit so didnt even get on my high horse. My seafarer Dad would roll in his grave but he didnt talk about his time at sea much but given what you sailors are saying, or implying, I am not surprised! Thanks for info though.
    I was gonna go to sea as a boy Partsky, but never did. I ended up in the Army. I have spent lots of times on ships and submarines but I aint no sailor. Don't confuse me with the old salts on here. I'd ask a proper sailor before believing me. I think all sailors are gay.

Just kiddin' about the last remark.

Or am I?

Partsky

If you are right Pabs, then my Dad was gay and had nine kids. He wouldnt be offended; he would laugh.! My Dad did subs too. Hated the things. Loved that film "Das Boot" .Said it was the most realistic film about subs ever, particularly the bits where they were all quiet whilst "enemy" subs were about. Scary stuff. Me poor Dad.

Blog Entries

If you are right Pabs, then my Dad was gay and had nine kids. He wouldnt be offended; he would laugh.! My Dad did subs too. Hated the things. Loved that film "Das Boot" .Said it was the most realistic film about subs ever, particularly the bits where they were all quiet whilst "enemy" subs were about. Scary stuff. Me poor Dad.
    Brave man indeed. Submariners were summit else. Yes, he woulda found it funny, especially from an Army guy. Subs I were in were usually nuclear boats and the more modern diesel boats.

Partsky

Pabs, nuclear or not,subs must have been scary at times. What do you think about this talk of subs accidentally pulling down fishing boats. Is it a myth or do you think it is possible~?

Blog Entries

Pabs, nuclear or not,subs must have been scary at times. What do you think about this talk of subs accidentally pulling down fishing boats. Is it a myth or do you think it is possible~?
    I aint got no great experience in subs, usually just a taxi to us. As far as I know it happens more often than you know. All sides were spying on each other at close quarters and often small boats would get caught up. Subs can't surface, they just carry on. A fishing boat disappears and no one is the wiser.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast