Thread: The big storm

Default The big storm

This is a long shot but does anyone remember the big thunderstorm that hit liverpool sometime in the late 60's early 70's, cant remember the exact year . It started in the late afternoon and went on till the early hours . It started quite normally but became more violent as the night wore on, with lightning almost every second. I have never witnessed a thunderstorm like it since . Can anyone remember it, it or know what year it was ?

Last edited by merseywail; 03-17-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merseywail View Post
    This is a long shot but does anyone remember the big thunderstorm that hit liverpool sometime in the late 60's early 70's, cant remember the exact year . It started in the late afternoon and went on till the early hours . It started quite normally but became more violent as the night wore on, with lightning almost every second. I have never witnessed a thunderstorm like it since . Can anyone remember it, it or know what year it was ?
    1967. I remember it as a kid. It was a normal storm with the odd lightening and rain at first. I was in bed asleep and a boom and shaking like bombs going off woke me up. My mother came into my room crying thinking the bombers can come over again. Then it hit me what the whole population must have gone through, and the terror they felt as they heard the planes engines above and loud explosions around them. It was like being in an air raid - the closest I will get to experience it.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-18-2008 at 09:06 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    1967. I remember it as a kid. It was a normal storm with the odd lightening and rain at first. I was in bed asleep and a boom and shaking like bombs going off woke me up. My mother came into my room crying thinking the bombers can come over again. Then it hit me what the whole population must have through, and the terror they felt as they heard the planes engines above and loud explosions around them. It was like being in an air raid - the closest I will get to experience it.
    That sounds like the one i remember! thanks waterways. In 1967, i would have been three and a half at that time, no wonder i never forgot it. I remember being scared at first, but as the night went on, started to be fasinated by it. All that noise & constant lightning! In the end tiredness must have got the better of me. It may seem daft to some, but now i just love a good thunderstorm, we dont seem to get any really good ones anymore

Who could forget that storm - it was horrific. It was like a tropical storm, the noise of the bangs really did sound like a bombing raid, the rain was like a monsoon and the sky was all colours - and it was really prolonged, seeming to go on forever .. it was like the end of the world or something I remember a lot of people being genuinely terrified.

Sorry I can't help - too young.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I remember a big one around 71, we'd been baby sat by my auntie in the day, it had started about 3-4pm while she had gone into a shop, i remember it was still going long after we had been taken home and I was lying in bed chewing the ends of the blankets worrying while trying to get to sleep hearing crashing and banging