Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Old Crosses

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    the Cross in Whitney Gardens Shaw Street

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co...l_regiment.htm
    Went through there today took a pic of the inscription on the base.[IMG][/IMG]
    There`s a story on the base. It was first erected in Portsmouth 1863,then moved to Chelsea in 1877 before finally arriving in Liverpool in 1911
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Very interesting, Gregs Dad. Thanks. May those soldiers rest in peace.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    The Cronton cross is a bit of a paradox. One theory is that it was used as a resting place for pall bearers as they were carrying the coffins through the fields either to Widnes or Rainhill. I believe from a reliable source who is a historian, that there was another such cross in Cronton on Sandy Lane where it meets Cronton Road but that the stonework was stolen in the 1940s or 1950s.
    There is another one in Rainhill, I heard a similar story and also it marks dick turpins horses burial place i'm told

Hi all

The following information that I found about a cross at Todmorden in Calderdale, West Yorkshire, may prove illuminating (it looks as if the same information is repeated on web pages for other crosses registered as ancient monuments in Calderdale). The narrative may be a bit Yorks.- and Southwest-centric since it does not seem to take allowance of the large number of crosses that I know of and that we have been picturing in the Merseyside area. The description also applies to the authentically medieval crosses of course as well, and not to Victorian or 20th Century crosses such as the one pictured above for the King's Regiment.

Chris

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes having a more specifically religious function, including those providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions, or marking long-distance routes frequented on pilgrimages.

Over 350 wayside crosses are known nationally, concentrated in south west England throughout Cornwall and on Dartmoor where they form the commonest type of stone cross. A small group also occurs on the North York Moors. Relatively few examples have been recorded elsewhere and these are generally confined to remote moorland locations.

Outside Cornwall almost all wayside crosses take the form of a 'Latin' cross, in which the cross-head itself is shaped within the projecting arms of an unenclosed cross. In Cornwall wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration. The commonest type includes a round, or 'wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross or related designs were carved in relief or incised, the spaces between the cross arms possibly pierced. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ and the shaft might bear decorative panels and motifs. Less common forms in Cornwall include the 'Latin' cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low relief cross on both faces. Rare examples of wheel-head and slab-form crosses also occur within the North York Moors Group. Most wayside crosses have either a simple socketed base or show no evidence for a separate base at all.

Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval religious customs and sculptural traditions and to our knowledge of medieval routeways and settlement patterns. All wayside crosses which survive as earthfast monuments, except those which are extremely damaged and removed from their original locations, are considered worthy of protection.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

[IMG][/IMG]
    This is the Weeping Stone in St Chads Gardens in Kirkby originally a cross called the Park Brow Cross.

[IMG][/IMG]
    the inscription

Default St Michaels Well

Crosby village
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Seel St

Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Partsky

Default Fab thread

Wonderful thread and such great pics. Chris has mentioned the wayside crosses at Thornton. There were numerous crosses which were utilised in this way. Makes you think about how difficult it was to transport the dead across often heavily wooded or boggy land to get to churches for burial (what a job). In the case of the Thornton, it was one of (so local knowledge around here goes) 12 or so which led from the coast to St Helens Church in Sefton Village (between Netherton and Maghull) Those washed up on the shores of the Mersey were carried a distance of near 7 miles to this lovely church for burial. Not only do we have these lovely crosses but we also have a magic well!!! St Helens Well is situated not far from the Thornton Cross and in a field near the Punchbowl Pub. After we finish crosses perhaps we could do one on wells. I havent seen any other steams or wells with reputed magic or healing powers except St Helens and the one in St James Cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Wonderful thread and such great pics. Chris has mentioned the wayside crosses at Thornton. There were numerous crosses which were utilised in this way. Makes you think about how difficult it was to transport the dead across often heavily wooded or boggy land to get to churches for burial (what a job). In the case of the Thornton, it was one of (so local knowledge around here goes) 12 or so which led from the coast to St Helens Church in Sefton Village (between Netherton and Maghull) Those washed up on the shores of the Mersey were carried a distance of near 7 miles to this lovely church for burial. Not only do we have these lovely crosses but we also have a magic well!!! St Helens Well is situated not far from the Thornton Cross and in a field near the Punchbowl Pub. After we finish crosses perhaps we could do one on wells. I havent seen any other steams or wells with reputed magic or healing powers except St Helens and the one in St James Cemetery.
    Thanks, Partsky, for that information about the Thornton crosses. St. Helen's Church at Sefton is a lovely old church. As you say, it would be great to have a thread on wells that would include St. Helen's Well near the church in Sefton. It could include other ancient wells such as the Monk's Well in Wavertree, etc.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    Seel St
    Great pic Quincy!
    (We won't tell them about the blokes in the background having lunch! hehe)

After they removed the spire from the church tower:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast