Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More concrete Gardens

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post
    You call him Franny next time cp... tell him I said so..

speak soon mate...

Gerard..
    I always call him Franny and he still calls me by my nickname.

Good posts all

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    Thanks for confirming that Mart .

collegepudding

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Thats perfectly understandable Gerard, I agree with your decision to Edit & Delete.The World Wide web may sometimes be ok for private thoughts but some Private family details etc are usually best not submitted.
    Thanks all the same for your original comments and i understood & appreciated your reasons for posting them. .

collegepudding[COLOR="Silver"]

Thanks mate...

Gerard.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Colin is a very knowledgeable person on the social History of Liverpool, his threads are always keenly awaited by myself ,and' if the number of thanks that are always submitted to his posts are any indication then a large ,number of regular posters also feel the same.
    The thing that slightly irritates me is on a number of occasions he fails to show appreciation ,within the thread, of the feedback he consistently receives from members...A quick post thanking everyone for their input would be most appreciated. just a little point, but one I feel should be made.

Keep posting Colin, i am a big fan of your input to the forum and of your Bluecote publications .

collegepudding

Blog Entries

Thank you CP !!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    Thank you CP !!

collegepudding

Edit :

By the way, Colin was in fact on line whilst i was inputting the last post !

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post

It was Cartwright House, not Gardens..
    and each of them blocks had a different name..
    they were not all Cartwright House..
    that block is also Lionel House...Thurlow House.. and Downe House..
    The shop in the photo was Jim Morans..

Gerard.
    I'd never have remembered the names of those flats, but Moran's shop - a general grocer's and sweetshop - I remember very well. We lived for a while in the Byrom Arms, the top floor of which would have been approximately the spot the photo was taken from.

JN

Quote Originally Posted by JNugent View Post
    I'd never have remembered the names of those flats, but Moran's shop - a general grocer's and sweetshop - I remember very well. We lived for a while in the Byrom Arms, the top floor of which would have been approximately the spot the photo was taken from.

JN

I remember Jim Morans well, very well as my mam shopped in there..

Gerard.

JN

Hello JN.

A pic of the Byrom Arms for you. Listed as both 32-34 Byrom st and 2-4 Hunter street, this photo is from 1912 when it was run by George Henry Allen, it then had adjoining cocoa rooms. It replaced the earlier Brunswick buildings. Hunter st once had 16 pubs as well as Mellors brewery, Mellors owned a number of pubs in the city, it was taken over by Higsons. This pub was demolished to make way for re-widening of the street and to include the flyovers. Pic and info - Freddy O'Connor. A pub called the Byrom aka locally as the Pie Shop was built on the opposite side of Byrom street much later than this one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Wow!

I'm so grateful for that picture, Ged. Although there were two floors above the pub, each floor was effectively a separate flat (accessed from a door in Hunter Street which led to a couple of staircases parallel with Byrom Street - ie, behind the building, with windows facing up the hill). Both flats were massive, as you can imagine, and each had three bedrooms, a large living room, kitchen and bathroom. My brother and I shared a huge bedroom big enough to ride a (small) bike around. The windows to that room were just above the "ALES" part of the gold signwriting fronting Byrom Street. The living rooms were at the back. Sometimes we would play on the empty floor above, though it always felt a little spooky!

JN

Great recollections there JN and another Wow to the collection. It's great when a photo stirs the memory isn't it. I bet you hadn't seen that scene since you were last there. Thanks for posting about what it was like living there.

Never went in there but often wondered did the bar counter slant like the floor ?
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

I suppose not, the Vernon is that same, you just don't get served at the bottom end if you're under 6ft Joe.

Wow!

I'm so grateful for that picture, Ged. Although there were two floors above the pub, each floor was effectively a separate flat (accessed from a door in Hunter Street which led to a couple of staircases parallel with Byrom Street - ie, behind the building, with windows facing up the hill). Both flats were massive, as you can imagine, and each had three bedrooms, a large living room, kitchen and bathroom. My brother and I shared a huge bedroom big enough to ride a (small) bike around. The windows to that room were just above the "ALES" part of the gold signwriting fronting Byrom Street. The living rooms were at the back. Sometimes we would play on the empty floor above, though it always felt a little spooky!

JN
    Interesting memories there - I can just picture the place as you describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    Colin is a very knowledgeable person on the social History of Liverpool, his threads are always keenly awaited by myself ,and' if the number of thanks that are always submitted to his posts are any indication then a large ,number of regular posters also feel the same.
    The thing that slightly irritates me is on a number of occasions he fails to show appreciation ,within the thread, of the feedback he consistently receives from members...A quick post thanking everyone for their input would be most appreciated. just a little point, but one I feel should be made.

Keep posting Colin, i am a big fan of your input to the forum and of your Bluecote publications .

collegepudding

Well said mate.... an honest statement from you as usual...

Gerard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It's great when a photo stirs the memory isn't it.
    It's true Ged, how an old photo stirs memories. I'm in that mode at the moment researching a bit of history of my area.

It's nice to read posts like JN when someone is made up with a pic of their old stamping ground.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast