Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sounds & smells

Default Smells & Sounds.

As a kid, and living in the 'Tennies' (Speke Rd Gardens) we could walk up 'The Avenue', over 'The Iron Bridge'' to a great area of land situated between the two railways, LMS Main Line, and the LNER Cheshire Line, this area was special to us kids, we could stand on the bridge as trains went by, and I can still remember the smell and the noise of the steam loco's as they sped by underneath. Also the sounds of the Skylarks in the summer, as they hoverered over their nesting sites in that grassed area between the railways! Fond memories!!! I hav'nt heard a skylark for years!! maybe because they are ground nesting birds they've all been killed off by suburban sprawl!

Thumbs up Iron bridge.

Hi Norm,
    Do you rememberthe german plane shot at the Iron, and the bomb
    crater on the side of the cheshire line we used to go there to get newts.
    And collect parts of the plane, alot of water gone under the bride since
    then.
    Cheer's,
    Tippo.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    As a kid, and living in the 'Tennies' (Speke Rd Gardens) we could walk up 'The Avenue', over 'The Iron Bridge'' to a great area of land situated between the two railways, LMS Main Line, and the LNER Cheshire Line, this area was special to us kids, we could stand on the bridge as trains went by, and I can still remember the smell and the noise of the steam loco's as they sped by underneath. Also the sounds of the Skylarks in the summer, as they hoverered over their nesting sites in that grassed area between the railways! Fond memories!!! I hav'nt heard a skylark for years!! maybe because they are ground nesting birds they've all been killed off by suburban sprawl!

Yes Mate! And I remember a Blackburn Skua crash landing on that area of land about the end of the war!! We crazy kids used to camp-out there sometimes!! mind you that was well after the bombing! And I remember collecting plenty of 'Frogs Spawn' from that pond, and taking it home!! Mum would give us a good telling off!!!! Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12