Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ginny Greenteeth and St James's Mount

I remember seeing a photo in the Liverpool Echo,several years ago, of a group of workmen standing around a statue of a woman, with outstretched arms, which had been dug up, somewhere in the vicinity of the Anglican cathedral! This,from what I remember, was early in the 20th century, possibly the 20's, but I dont know what if any,significance was attached.( I thought it may have been an old religious icon) I've also been told stories of "Ginny Greenteeth", who was used to frighten children away from the cathedral grounds, in the 30's, and even later! I might be wrong, but i'm sure this character has been mentioned on this site before, and that there was some connection with Garston, and more recent incidents!?!( but no relation to Sean McGowan)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I remember seeing a photo in the Liverpool Echo,several years ago, of a group of workmen standing around a statue of a woman, with outstretched arms, which had been dug up, somewhere in the vicinity of the Anglican cathedral! This,from what I remember, was early in the 20th century, possibly the 20's, but I dont know what if any,significance was attached.( I thought it may have been an old religious icon) I've also been told stories of "Ginny Greenteeth", who was used to frighten children away from the cathedral grounds, in the 30's, and even later! I might be wrong, but i'm sure this character has been mentioned on this site before, and that there was some connection with Garston, and more recent incidents!?!( but no relation to Sean McGowan)
    Cheers for that wsteve55; very interesting, I'd love to see/get my hands on that image and accompanying report.

The Garston bugaboo is Screeching Ginny incidentally. A relation maybe?

Hi RW,
    re' that photo! I would presume it's held in the Echo archives, with it's related article, but catalogued under what? It was used in a local history feature they used to run! And yes, it was Screeching Jenny, but with some references to G.G.also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi RW,
    re' that photo! I would presume it's held in the Echo archives, with it's related article, but catalogued under what? It was used in a local history feature they used to run! And yes, it was Screeching Jenny, but with some references to G.G.also.
    Really? Both Screeching and Greenteeth? Very interesting.

Blog Entries

I'm sure you are aware of this http://www.stjamescemetery.co.uk/, it's a good website with many pictures of Mount Zion/St James Cemetery. No evidence of any female statue in them though.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I do hope that's nicotine on his fingers and he hasn't had an itchy arse.
    PMSL....
    What the hell is keeping him alive? And don't say the ciggies and booze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12