Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Railways New Website 2009

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

Default Old Liverpool Railways New Website 2009

hi everyone i have not been on this site in a while but i own oldliverpoolrailways.tk and it now has a new look and almost complete i would thank and comments on it also i could do with help such as

any info or photos on woodside station on the runcorn gap branch this station would of been between speke station and halebank station

also did kirkdale ever have platforms for the now closed fast lines to the right of the now merseyrail lines ? did the north liverpool extention branch have platforms at kirkdale? it seems scene they would of been if not why? also did the canada dock branch that passes under kirkdale station ever have platforms? or a way passangers could get a train at this station for that branch?

Blog Entries

Ill have a proper look through later, good luck and thanks for the update
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Great subject for a website. I love the maps.

I just noticed one of the links isn't working though.

On the Other Tunnels page the link to the photos for Dingle Tunnel. The link is to
    hhttp:// etc (its got an extra h at the front)

Blog Entries

The caption:
    Disused Platform At Liverpool Central Built When A Connection Was Going to Be Made With The Wapping Tunnel

Platform? That is a tunnel.

Oritlad. Great job. Just one thing, have the text "boxed" or left aligned not centred. Use this map if you want to.

See the owner of it:

Use this as well. Mine, and you can use it. An underground Circle Line using existing tunnels:

The text for it is here. You are welcome to use anything.
    Circle Line - click here
    Last edited by Waterways; 02-18-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Oritelad, some great pictures, however they need captions explaining what they are and any relevant detail. Keep up the great work.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default kirkdale station

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    hi everyone i have not been on this site in a while but i own oldliverpoolrailways.tk and it now has a new look and almost complete i would thank and comments on it also i could do with help such as

any info or photos on woodside station on the runcorn gap branch this station would of been between speke station and halebank station

also did kirkdale ever have platforms for the now closed fast lines to the right of the now merseyrail lines ? did the north liverpool extention branch have platforms at kirkdale? it seems scene they would of been if not why? also did the canada dock branch that passes under kirkdale station ever have platforms? or a way passangers could get a train at this station for that branch?
    Hello oritelad - I may be able to help a little as regards kirkdale station. I
    had occasion to use it quite a lot in the 1930's and if memory serves me right
    there were no platforms for the fast trains. I don't know what stations they
    served and my main interest was seeing them roar through the station
    belching out lots of black smoke and steam and noise! On occasions, if the
    time was right, I used to be able to take a stopping steam train as far as
    Walton Junction which was also actually more convenient for getting to
    where I was going.This train came in on the same platform as the normal Ormskirk service. And this went for the return service also. Incidently, I
    have no recollection at all of any other line using the station.
    If I may raise a point that you may be able clarify. Was there in
    the 30's a Walton station on the Ormskirk line or was Orrell Park the next
    station after Kirkdale? I only ask because I recently read (on this site) that
    the present Walton station is now where Walton Junction used to be.
    I have always had a great affection for Kirkdale Station -it was for
    me the epitome of what a railway station should be. The photo of how it was
    in the 30's - which I came across recently on another thread - is absolutely
    brilliant!!
    Good luck with your researching - Stan H

Living the Dream... Scouseinmanc's Avatar

Orite Lad & Stan

The old Exchange station served trains going North to destinations such as Mcr, Preston, Whitehaven, Scotland, etc), so the 2 fast line platforms at Kirkdale would have primarily been for these long distance trains. The 2 current platforms, would have served local services to areas such as Ormskirk & Wigan.

In regard to Walton Jn; the original station was an early closure, with the new station being located slightly north. As far as I am aware, Orrell Park has always been the next station on from Kirkdale, going towards Ormskirk. I will try & come back to you with a reason for the original station's closure & relevant dates, if you so wish

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

what? so walton station former walton junction name which is on the kirby branch was there a station before that in a different location?? is rice lane former preston rd station the original station or was there one in a different location before??

also anyone know about millers bridge station? was bootle orriel rd and bootle new strand and bootle barriol rd the only 3 stations in bootle or was there old stations they replaced?

also anyone have anythink on woodside station on the runcorn gap branch it would of been between speke and halebank stations?

Oritelad

Are you sure you're not confusing the fact that Speke station is on Woodend Avenue, as I'm fairly certain there was no Woodside on the Runcorn Gap line.

excellent website, by the way, congratulations!!!

Living the Dream... Scouseinmanc's Avatar

what? so walton station former walton junction name which is on the kirby branch was there a station before that in a different location?? is rice lane former preston rd station the original station or was there one in a different location before??

also anyone know about millers bridge station? was bootle orriel rd and bootle new strand and bootle barriol rd the only 3 stations in bootle or was there old stations they replaced?

also anyone have anythink on woodside station on the runcorn gap branch it would of been between speke and halebank stations?
    Yes, that's right - like I said, I will have to check dates & the reason for it's closure. Not sure if you aware, but it was the same situation with Blundellsands & Crosby, which was originally located on Mersey Road. If you stand on the bridge & look towards Southport, the old station maters house (on the RHS) & platforms are still there (now converted into a private residence).

As far as I am aware, the 3 stations in Bootle were never replacements for any others. Bootle New Strand originally opened as Marsh Lane & Strand Road & then changed it's name upon the opening of the shopping centre some time in the 60's.

As for there being a station called Woodside - the only one I know of is Birkenhead Woodside. I have looked at the map & it could be that this was purely for goods & not for passenger use. I will have to look into this further.
    Last edited by Scouseinmanc; 12-17-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Oritelad

Where did you get that map from, it's fantastic!
    I didn't even realise there was a Farnworth station on the CLC, just before it crosses the St.Helens/Runcorn Gap line.

By the way, has anyone got the 'Traction ' magazines' annual 2008, there's a nice article and photos concerning the Willis branch from Huyton Quarry to Croston colliery

Railway Signal Engineer mikewturner's Avatar

There was never a passenger station at Woodside. It was only ever goods. The date of opening is unknown but it closed 06/03/1961. The 1849 OS maps show a level crossing here but that was later closed or replaced by a bridge. The signal box was called Woodside Sidings.

If you look carefully around the map (which appears to be a Midland Railway 'distance diagram'?)and know your local railways then you will see it names several goods only sites and even junctions. It should not be taken as evidence of a passenger station.

Mike
    Last edited by mikewturner; 12-17-2008 at 08:30 PM.

The 'extra platforms' at Liverpool Central has always intrigued me. You would have thought Network Rail would have mentioned these as part of the recent Central report, but they didnt. I know there is something down there, but very much doubt its another platform.

Someone who works at Merseyrail seems to think there are two platforms! Liverpool: Would It Benefit From 2nd Station? - Page 2 - RailUK Forums

Stethomson90 quote ''
    Go to the Sandhills end of the Northern Line on Platform 2, (Southport/Kirkby), near the 6-car stop board and you will see a black metal door, and behind that is a hole in the wall, which leads to a massive space with some old bits of rail still down and remains of at least 2 platforms, at the same level of the current Northern Line. There is some sort of defunct electrical device in there dated February 1977, possibly a telephone plug-point of some sort.'' I am sure what this guy is talking about is the ventilation shaft for the wirral line. There was never two platforms at central low level. the present northern line is the former Mersey railway platform. the Mersey railway was allways hard up & never realised it's grand plans. I have some photos of the underground will try to post the up, if i can get attachments to work!
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast