Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: inacityliving

Spot on Ged Great work.

Those Court pics really bring it home how hard life was for our ancestors.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi Spike,
    just looking through your photo's,(some great one's there) and the pic's of Old Swan college reminded me of a visit I made there,a couple of years ago, to the reception desk,in the smaller building. Inside, they (?) had kept the ornate sandstone doorway of the previous building(college?) as a display, and I wondered if this had been saved? I never found out what had happened to the previous building, thinking,maybe, it had been bombed in ww.2,so do you know anything of it's history?
    Hi Steve

Sorry I missed your post so a bit late replying.

I have never heard about the previous building, but sure would like to know what was there.

I will ask the workmen when I go past about the doorway, doubt it will have survived though.

Hi Spike,
    I wonder if Ged has anything relating to the building, Old Swan Technical College, as it was, up to the early 70's?
    Ta Steve.

Hi Spike and Steve. My mate in the late 1970s, and I know Spike's wife went to Old Swan tech but I have no pics or info before that sorry. I looked in the Edwardian A-Z I have and nothing is mentioned on its site, only the May Place girls reformatory school on the other side of Montague Road.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Didn't someone post a picture of it? Together with its demolition.

I did a search and the link is given by Spike:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=41
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-27-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Martin may know what was there. I want to know now.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Didn't someone post a picture of it? Together with its demolition.

I did a search and the link is given by Spike:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=41
    Spike has a great site there!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Martin may know what was there. I want to know now.
    Did you get my email, Spike?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Spike has a great site there!

Chris
    It is a great site, I agree.

Looking through it Spike ( Tony ):

The "Strange round houses on Mill Lane".
    The one with the steps up to it, used to be a sweet shop years ago.

Derby Lane Police Station.
    The houses alongside used to be the Fire Brigades houses.
    They also had flats behind the station ( behind where Edwards The Jewellers is on Prescot Rd, now )

St. Brendans Hall.
    I used to frequent there with family and friends.
    ( I have the "St Brendans" sign that used to hang above it in the garage ! )

Stanley Abbatoir.
    Fantastic pic and yes I do remember the smell
    A Cousin of mine worked there in the 70's.
    He'd call to our's for his dinner and absolutley stunk !

The Old Swan Tech College:
    On a map I have from 1906, I think there were houses on this site and I do remember houses being to the left of the old college ( before Montague Rd ).
    I "found" a pic from 1967 on my travels around the net ( can't remember where ) which shows the drive / entrance up to one of these houses, but if anyone doesn't want it displayed here then I can delete it !
    Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old+Swan+Tech_1963.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	9804  

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Nice pic Marty. (Notice the old concrete bus shelter?.)
    Excellent.

Cracking pic Martin. You can see the older part of the college to the right. Two round windows give it away. Great find mate

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Did you get my email, Spike?

Chris
    Yes Chris I got it, cheers mate.

Will we be getting Grandads story from you?

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post

The "Strange round houses on Mill Lane".
    The one with the steps up to it, used to be a sweet shop years ago.

Derby Lane Police Station.
    The houses alongside used to be the Fire Brigades houses.
    They also had flats behind the station ( behind where Edwards The Jewellers is on Prescot Rd, now )

St. Brendans Hall.
    I used to frequent there with family and friends.
    ( I have the "St Brendans" sign that used to hang above it in the garage ! )
    Cheers for the info Martin.

I never knew they where Firemen's houses, will update my site.

want the picof the sweet shop now .

St Brendans sign in your garage, your not letting the history go. good on you. How did you get it?

Default Old Swan Fire / Police Station

Don't know if I've put this info on another thread but here it is, from Simon Ryan the Fire Brigades archivist. I met him when he gave me all the info on my Grandad and when I say all, he had his records / dates etc from when he left school in 1901, his first job was a shop errand boy, his first world war records, to when he passed away in Dec 1957, with photo's etc !
    Anyway here's all the info on the buildings surrounding the fire station for future reference:

DERBY LANE
    1883 - A new station opened by the WDVFB at 3 Derby La, next door to a school - Lancashire Constabulary opened a Police station
    1886 - The premises were extended to provide accommodation for the Foreman
    1895 Apr 23 - WC authorised the rental of a 6-stall stable at 20/- per week from the Old Swan & Tuebrook Carriage Co pending the erection of stables to the adjoining Old Swan FS.
    Nov - The 2-bay station taken over from the West Derby Volunteer Fire Brigade, it housed a Shand Mason HD Steamer, reel cart and an escape ladder and there was accommodation for the Foreman
    Dec 2 - The Surveyor reported to the WC the Head Constable had informed him that telephone instruments in addition to the alarm bells recently fitted were essential. The National Telephone Co had quoted a rental of 15/- per anum for the two instruments here and at Ivanhoe Rd and the surveyor recommended that the communication be established, approved
    1896 - On station: HD Steam engine, HD Manual, escape, reel cart, set of ladders
    May 28 - Report to the WC regarding proposed building works at Derby La, new engine house, convert the former weights and measures office into stables., fireman?s room, bathroom and kitchen
    1897 Nov 29 - WC received a report from the Local Government Board that they had approved a loan of ?2,900 to cover building works at Old Swan [?2,000] Westminster Rd and Lark La fire stations
    Dec 13 - WC approved the purchase of land on Greenfield Rd to provide additional space for the new station
    1898 Aug 22 - WC approved a tender from J Paterson & Sons, Soho St, Liverpool, of ?1,992 to build the new station, this had been reduced from ?2,369 as only ?2,000 had been borrowed to fund the works.
    1899 - The old station and the Foreman?s accommodation were demolished and a new 3-bay station built on an adjoining site
    Aug - New station completed
    1900 Mar 19 - WC noted the purchase of land for 5 residences from George Grierson for ?150 on Mar 12
    1 fronting Greenfield Rd for the Engineer
    4 fronting the station yard, estimated the houses would cost ?3,000
    Properties deferred and never built, meanwhile
    28 Greenfield Rd was leased on a temporary basis, linked to the station by a call bell, the cost of which was approved by the WC on 30 Apr
    1901 Mar 11 - WC approved the construction of an examination pit and hose gallows at a cost of ?23-18s-4d
    1902 - On station: HD Steamer John Hughes, HD Chemical 1st aid, HD Hose carriage & manual Escape
    1905 - WC approved works to attend to the ventilation of the stables, cost estimated at ?38.
    1912 - On station: 2 HD Steam engines [Maxwell & ], HD Chemical 1st aid, HD Hose carriage & an escape
    1916 - 1 HD Steam engine [Maxwell], HD Chemical 1st aid, HD Hose carriage
    Escape on station
    May - The last LFB horse drawn appliance to answer a call was the station?s 1st turn chemical engine. Merryweather Fire King SM No 5 went on station
    1919 - A second Fire King No 4 on station, kept as brigade reserve
    1922 - Belsize Morris MP No2, KB 1817 ?James Heald? on station, replaced the operational SM
    1923 - WC approved the plan to build residences on Corporation owned waste land at Old Swan fire station
    1924 Sep 23 - WC approved payment of ?121-18s-1d, being the fees due to date relating to the erection of the new married quarters at Old Swan
    1925 - The reserve SM was sold
    1926 - LPFB?s first reserve MP Belsize, No4, K 1690, on station, manned when required by off duty men who lived in the Greenfield House flats.
    1934 - Leyland replaced MP No2 Belsize which became a brigade reserve.
    1938 Sep 27 - The WC approved the installation of 2,000g underground fuel tanks and a petrol pump at a cost of ?720 at Longmoor La, Allerton, Old Swan and Garston fire stations. In war it was calculated the LPFB could require 2,000g of fuel per hour.
    1939 - Leyland MP No 8 No KB 8411 on station from Longmoor La, reserve 1942
    Nov - WC approved that the former Mounted Police saddle room should be converted into a telephone room
    1941 - MPNo11 KB 788 on station ex Banks Rd, reserve 1943
    1948 Apr 01 - Became CLFS station North 6 now housed 2 Leyland PE and an Austin K2 PST, GLE 870.
    1950?s - Report to WC, Derby La was considered as unsuitable. A 3.08 acre site on the East side of Queens Dv north of Alder Rd was identified part of a site extending to over 12 acres bought by the Council in 1954, the remaining land to be developed for housing. The Brigade?s plot was to provide a new HQ, Workshops as well as a replacement station for Derby La, however the land had a restrictive covenant on it and the Brigade reconsidered matters.
    An alternative site of 1.125 acres on the West side of Queens Drive, then leased by the City for use as a football field was for the new station only , as it was too small for the remainder of the planned development which was now switched to a site on Edge Lane to be sited with a replacement station for Durning Rd.
    1954 April ? The FS Committee approved the alternative plan for the west side of Queens Dv
    - Work began to extend the 1st floor over the Hose Repair Shop and store on the ground floor at the rear of the station
    1955 - Work on the extension was completed allowing the use of 2 flats in Greenfield House as station accommodation to be discontinued.
    - Completion by the City of the purchase of the football field, known as the Sandfield Park site, this was then transferred to the FS Committee.
    Planning permission was then granted for the erection of a fire station
    1957 - An Automatic Telephone Co, Columbus-Dixon remote control was installed in the Watchroom allowing operation of the new traffic lights on the Prescot Rd / St Oswald St / Derby La junction. The system was switched on at 14.30 on Friday 17th Jan 1958.
    1964 - Became station North 3. It was planned the project to build a new station would commence in the FY 1968/69, financial restrictions however meant the project was deferred.
    By now the former stables in the yard were in use as a mess room
    1971 - There was pressure from Councillors to release the land for housing development, the site having remained derelict for some 18 years; this was however successfully resisted by CFO
    1974 - Station passed to Merseyside as South 8, 1963 Dennis F24 WrE(F) 7705 KD & a 1967 Dennis F34 WrT (F) MKD 902F.
    1999 - A new 3-bay station opened on Queens Dv. Derby La became a School of Dancing.
    By 2005 - The Greenfield Flats next to the church on Greenfield Rd had been demolished
    2006 - The Police station closed and was taken over by the Probation Service
    The side wall of the engine house was on a slant which made it d tricky job for a driver reversing an appliance into the bay

PS
    My Partner Lynne asked the builders who were demolishing it, for the sign and they even dropped it off at mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stbrendanssign.JPG 
Views:	612 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	9806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stbrendanssign2.JPG 
Views:	580 
Size:	848.0 KB 
ID:	9807  

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Yes Chris I got it, cheers mate.

Will we be getting Grandads story from you?
    Thanks, Spike. Yes I will be pleased to post my grandfather's WWI story here after I give my presentation. Thanks for your interest, mate.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast