Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bold Street Area

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Joseph Sharples makes everything clear.

In his words:
    "The former British & Foreign Marine Insurance Co., 1888-90, by Grayson & Ould. Red brick with red sandstone and terracotta. Mosaic frieze above the first floor with shipping scenes, designed by Frank Murray and made by Salviati."
    Thanks, Philip!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

scouserdave

Joseph Sharples makes everything clear.

In his words:
    "The former British & Foreign Marine Insurance Co., 1888-90, by Grayson & Ould. Red brick with red sandstone and terracotta. Mosaic frieze above the first floor with shipping scenes, designed by Frank Murray and made by Salviati."
    That's great Phil, thanks. Just got back from my lad's gig and it's been on my mind since this avvy

PhilipG

Default 85 Bold Street.

Had a look at the building yesterday.
    It's obviously one of the original buildings in Bold Street and would have been a house (possibly late 18th century) before conversion into a shop.
    Assuming the shop front is original, I would hazard a guess at late 19th century (but it's only a guess).
    The Gore's directories of the time will reveal the occupants of the building, but not knowing the actual date of the shop front, you'd probably have to search a lot of directories, and even then there's no guarantee you'd arrive at the right answer.
    Sorry to be so negative, but research is difficult sometimes.

Having said all that, the present occupiers might have the deeds, which should help with the history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85bolda.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	2252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85boldb.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	2253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85boldc.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	2254  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-15-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Does anyone know what this building was used for originally. Ron Formby of the Scottie Press is interested in the mosaics on the entrance floor which seem to be a thistle or similar. It has just opened as 'The Italian Club' cafe.
    Thank ye.
    I have somes old photos about Bold Street, about the numbers... 83 and 89, coz its has relations with The Beatles.

katielips

Default Bold Street Area

We're gathering stories about Bold Street for an upcoming project 'The Bold Street Project" which will culminate in an exhibition in the Media Lounge at FACT (Wood Street, Liverpool) from 30th June 2007.

The project has a blog where we're discussing our work in progress and research, and as from today we have a video podcast available via iTunes. (Check out John and Laura's Video Diaries).

Were hoping to gather archive footage, old photos, new photos and new art from anyone who wants to contribute. We're using Flickr.com to share our images and create a growing network of Liverpool artists and photographers.

Highlights include a new film by Kim Ryan "The Bolder They Walk", and archive photographs from E. Chambre Hardman.

Check out the Blog: http://www.boldstreet.org.uk/blog/
    Check out our Photos on Flickr.
    Check out our films on Youtube.
    And our podcast.

And please.... we'd love to hear more Bold Street stories, especially of the ghostly / Bold Street 'Time Slip' variety!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by katielips View Post
    We're gathering stories about Bold Street for an upcoming project 'The Bold Street Project" which will culminate in an exhibition in the Media Lounge at FACT (Wood Street, Liverpool) from 30th June 2007.

The project has a blog where we're discussing our work in progress and research, and as from today we have a video podcast available via iTunes. (Check out John and Laura's Video Diaries).

Were hoping to gather archive footage, old photos, new photos and new art from anyone who wants to contribute. We're using Flickr.com to share our images and create a growing network of Liverpool artists and photographers.

Highlights include a new film by Kim Ryan "The Bolder They Walk", and archive photographs from E. Chambre Hardman.

Check out the Blog: http://www.boldstreet.org.uk/blog/
    Check out our Photos on Flickr.
    Check out our films on Youtube.
    And our podcast.

And please.... we'd love to hear more Bold Street stories, especially of the ghostly / Bold Street 'Time Slip' variety!
    It all sounds very interesting, apart from the last sentence.
    I'm only joking, so don't shoot me!

It all sounds very interesting, apart from the last sentence.
    I'm only joking, so don't shoot me!
    Shoot him on Bold Street. That'd make a great story I read about this earlier and I'm trying to think of a way to get some nice photos on Bold St for this.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by petecarr View Post
    Shoot him on Bold Street. That'd make a great story I read about this earlier and I'm trying to think of a way to get some nice photos on Bold St for this.
    If I have to be shot in Bold Street, make sure it's outside my favourite building - 65-67 - the art-deco one.
    (Get St Luke's in the background please, Pete. And with a spectacular blood-red sky).

Oh dear, I got qute carried away there.

Hi Katie

The best of luck with your project. Bold Street is interesting in that it has the Lyceum, one of Liverpool's most significant buildings, at its western end, and St. Luke's Church, also a significant building, made more so because of its bombed out aspect, at its other end. And then of course all of the addresses in between the two which have had different uses over the years, initially as a residential street when the street was laid out in the 1780's and later, in the nineteenth up to the twenty-first centures as one of Liverpool's premier shopping and retail streets.

The original use of the area as a ropewalk is also interesting, given the link with Liverpool's maritime past and the need for ropes for the ships. The fact that the street is named after Jonas Bold, a prominent slave merchant, is counterbalanced by the foundation of the Lyceum which was established as a reading room for abolitionists such as William Roscoe who wanted somewhere to meet instead of the coffee houses frequented by the slave traders. This well points up the dichotomy of Liverpool that, yes, it prospered from the slave trade but there were leading figures such as Roscoe, a literary man who wrote the narrative poem "The Wrongs of Africa" to protest the Slave Trade and who as a Member of Parliament for Liverpool also spoke out against the trade.

I wonder too if you might be able to refer in your history to the Lyceum Press situated in Hanover Street, which published two significant books, an edition of John Milton's Paradise Lost with illustrations by William Blake which did not appear in any published edition of Milton's great poem until this 1906 Lyceum Press edition, and a two-volume history of the Royal Marines by Cyril Field, Britain's Sea Soldiers: A History of the Royal Marines & Their Predecessors, which the press put out in 1924, and which is heavily cited on the Internet and in military histories.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

scouserdave

Hiya Katie,
    how's things? I'm hoping to shoot up to Liverpool in the morning, so I'll give your Ben a call. Will you be in FACT tomorrow? If you are, I'll drop off a CD with a load of images of the Bold Street area.

Cheers,
    Dave

scouserdave

Katie, here's a pic of your place

Default James William Carling.

Katie, if you go on the Scottie Press website, Ron tells me Laura has already contacted him, you may know about the above pavement artist who was born in Fontenoy Street and who did most of his work in Bold st. He then taken to the U.S. by his brother and guardian whereby his work was recognised and used in Edgar Allen Poe's the Raven. His work is in the Poe museum. He came back to Liverpool and died penniless and is buried in a paupers grave in Walton. www.scottiepress.org
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by katielips View Post
    There have been quite a few mentioned in Tom Slemen's "Haunted Liverpool" books.

Dave.

Blog Entries

A FASHION chain famed for attracting queues of scantily-clad shoppers is to open a new branch in Liverpool city centre.

Brixton firm Joy, described as an urban outfitter, will open its 25th branch in mid-November in the historic Lyceum building on Bold Street, taking over the area previously used as the post office.

Shopfitters are currently working at the building to prepare the store for its opening.

Joy has attracted publicity by offering free outfits of clothing to the first 25 people in their opening day queues who wear just their underwear.

more

Any Bold Street pictures for this thread?

Cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

Any Bold Street pictures for this thread?

Cheers
    Every time I walk up Bold Street and see the bombed-out church above the crowds and between the buildings I think ... what a great picture that would make

Anyone got one like that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast