Thread: PRISONERS OF WAR WW2 ON SS MOPAN PLEASE

Thumbs up PRISONERS OF WAR WW2 ON SS MOPAN PLEASE

HI I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANY ONE WHO HAS PARENTS OR GRANDPARENTS OR ANY INFO ABOUT THE
    MERCHANT NAVAL VESSEL SS MOPAN THAT WAS SUNK
    IN NOVEMBER 1940 AND ALL CREW TAKEN PRISONER.
    A FEW DETAILS I HAVE ARE THE PRISON SHIP WAS CALLED ALTMARK AND THE PRISONERS WERE TAKEN TO ST NAZAIRE IN FRANCE WERE THEY WERE PUT ON CATTLE
    TRUCKS TO BE TAKEN TO CAMPS IN GERMANY.I ALSO KNOW THAT A FEW MEN ESCAPED FROM THE TRUCKS BUT THATS ALL I HAVE ANY OTHER INFO WOULD BE
    GREATLY APPRIECIATED.

Blog Entries

One of the best sites for information about Merchant Navy history is the Mercantile Marine site. There is a chap who is aknowledged to be the best amateur historian ,his name is Billy Mcgee,or it could be Mcghee,try googling hom ,you will get answers to any questions on matters mercantile,
    Best of luck
    BrianD

There is a small mention here:
    Remembering History by day WW2 - Page 14 - World War 2 Talk

Martin

Default WW2 SS MOPAN

BRIAN DALEY AND MARTIN THANKS FOR THE INFO GREATLEY APPRIECIATED

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chazsam View Post
    HI I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANY ONE WHO HAS PARENTS OR GRANDPARENTS OR ANY INFO ABOUT THE
    MERCHANT NAVAL VESSEL SS MOPAN THAT WAS SUNK
    IN NOVEMBER 1940 AND ALL CREW TAKEN PRISONER.
    A FEW DETAILS I HAVE ARE THE PRISON SHIP WAS CALLED ALTMARK AND THE PRISONERS WERE TAKEN TO ST NAZAIRE IN FRANCE WERE THEY WERE PUT ON CATTLE
    TRUCKS TO BE TAKEN TO CAMPS IN GERMANY.I ALSO KNOW THAT A FEW MEN ESCAPED FROM THE TRUCKS BUT THATS ALL I HAVE ANY OTHER INFO WOULD BE
    GREATLY APPRIECIATED.
    The Mopans crew were Transported by 2 German supply ships after leaving the Scheer. On route to Germany at least one of the Mopans crew ecaped through the floor of the cattle truck transporting them and got back to england via Spain with the help of the resistance.
    On his return to Liverpool he came to our house to let my mother know my father was ok and alive. This was the first the family new of his survival since recieving the telegram 6 months before which read" Your husbands ship is overdue, presumed lost . My father was the Chef of the Mopan

Just found this it may be of some help. Re- Mopan as the crew were in a Milag Nord -merchant navy prisoner of war camp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your best bet would be to contact Gabe Thomas, Author of Milag: Captives of the Kriegsmarine. (ISBN 09525498 08) out of print. He will be able to list the full crew who were captured as well as details of how they arrived at Milag.

Email: gabe@milag.org

Photograph of the Mopan crew in prison camp,can be found in, GARSTON,The Archive Photographs Series, compiled by Margaret and Bernard Brett, and the Garston and District Historical Society, page 81

Default Mopan survivor

Hi, I just glanced your thread and as you can see I havnt been surfing
    this site. I am made to find someone that has something in common!
    My Uncle was on the Mopan his name is James Schofield of 75
    Victoria Square. He is still alive and kicking and his memory is marvelous.
    I live in New York, but, if you would like to communicate let me
    know and maybe I could arrange something with his daughter. I think
    he would be delighted to communicate with someone that has a
    knowledge of his experience.

keep in touch
    Eileen

Default s.s. mopan

hi all . i have avery good photo of the mopan any boddy like a copy i will gladly post you one , regards ken foster