Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: What school did you go to?

Bircfield Road Sm Edge Lane

Default St Cuthberts

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    i went to st cuthberts junior school, and then st agnes girls school broadgreen road.
    i think i was at st cuthberts when the bull/cow escaped out of the abbatouir
    does any one remember it? what year was it?
    debbie
    I went to St Cuthberts Junior School from 1967 to 1974.
    I lived on Prescot Road and I remember a cow escaping and running into the house next door. They couldn't turn it around in the hallway so led it out through the back door.

Do you remember Miss Delaney? She taught there for years. I found a website that mentioned her as being with the children who were evacuated to Wales in the war.

Our Lady of Good Help, Wavertree. If you were naughty the boys got the strap and the girls had to spend the morning doing sums in Mrs Melvins class. Mr Rice was headmaster during my time there. Other teachers I remember were Mrs Hallam and Miss Bridie O'Donnell who played the guitar to us. She and her friend (Jackie?) were a folk duo - they used to have an act involving a little doll they held with it's feet on a board which they hit in time to their music so that the doll danced up and down. They appeared on telly once I recall. Happy memories of my time there
    Also if I could just hijack the thread for a moment
    I'm trying to identify the school in a photo and Boaler Street is prime suspect so far. I'd be grateful if anyone who went to Boaler St could take a look at my thread in Genealogy and see what they think. I know it's a big ask to remember a building you were last in aged 11 but would be really grateful if you could take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillymint2 View Post
    Our Lady of Good Help, Wavertree. . . . Other teachers I remember were Mrs Hallam and Miss Bridie O'Donnell who played the guitar to us. She and her friend (Jackie?) were a folk duo - they used to have an act involving a little doll they held with it's feet on a board which they hit in time to their music so that the doll danced up and down. They appeared on telly once I recall.
    Interesting information, Tillymint2.

Bridie O'Donnell indeed made a name for herself in Liverpool folk singing circles as a founder of the Spinners, later to become an all-male quartet. She went on to join with Jacqueline McDonald as "Jackie and Bridie" and later "Jacqui and Bridie." Here's a Google with more information about her.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi Chris, thank you so much for that- I never realised they were both so well known. Sadly having looked at the information have discovered Bridie passed away some years ago. She was a lovely person and great teacher - taught me in 1st year infants and I remember her with great fondness.

Hi Tillymint2,
    there's a final meeting of the Jaqui & Bridie folk club,though of course Bridie is no longer around now! This is on the Philharmonic hall,on Sunday 23 January 2011.It will be 50yrs since the first one,and though I can't say I've heard much of them,I know they were pioneers in their way,and influenced many!

Blog Entries

I went to St.Cecilias county primary school in Green Lane, then went to Blessed Ambrose Barlow facing the Jolly Miller pub. It was a brand new school and we were the first juniors to start there. We merged with a school called Leyfield and one called St.Pauls from the West Derby Village area. I left to start my first job in 1963. Blessed Ambrose Barlow is now Liverpool School for the Deaf.

DAISY STREET SCHOOL CLASS PICTURE FROM 1977.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ann Marie Taylor, Samantha Reagan, Jackie Boland, Bernadette Fleming, Lisa Sweeney, Anthony McGuigan, Michael Collins, Mark Fitzsimmons.

Karen Disley, Julie Jones, Julie Howard, Mr Wells, Joanne Nolan, Marie Brown, Christine McNamara, Marie Wilson.

Anthony Kelly, Tony Earl, Patricia Jones, Tracy Newall, Joanna Kane and Johhny Novarro.

One of this motley crew became my wife.

Unfortunately, two of this bunch are no longer with us.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The school was situated on Stanley Road in the flower streets and had its own swimming baths in the basement. It educated both Catholic and Protestant pupils who unbelievably were kept separated in different playgrounds and had different home leaving times. Yet these kids all played out together afterwards. A case of the establishment thinking it knew best. New housing now stands in its place.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Daisy Street school had a play centre daily from 4pm till 6pm where all children of the area played, the boys football or cricket, and the girls dancing. When ever you passed the ball to your winger he`d be busy looking through the window at the girls dancing
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Our Lady of Good Help, Wavertree. If you were naughty the boys got the strap and the girls had to spend the morning doing sums in Mrs Melvins class. Mr Rice was headmaster during my time there. Other teachers I remember were Mrs Hallam and Miss Bridie O'Donnell who played the guitar to us. She and her friend (Jackie?) were a folk duo - they used to have an act involving a little doll they held with it's feet on a board which they hit in time to their music so that the doll danced up and down. They appeared on telly once I recall. Happy memories of my time there
    Also if I could just hijack the thread for a moment
    I'm trying to identify the school in a photo and Boaler Street is prime suspect so far. I'd be grateful if anyone who went to Boaler St could take a look at my thread in Genealogy and see what they think. I know it's a big ask to remember a building you were last in aged 11 but would be really grateful if you could take a look.
    That is so amazing, TM! Couldn't believe that that was straight up when I came across it just now... But I've now followed the Thread to the end and realised it's all genuine. Yes, Jacqui and Briduie were really big in this city in the '60s and '70s

Hi John, yes it's straight up. Bridie taught at Our Ladies in the 60's. She used to entertain us playing songs which she taught us to sing. One of the ones I remember her teaching us was Johnnie Todd which you may remember was later used as the theme tune to Z Cars.
    Jackie would also visit the class occasionally. Were you a fan of theirs ?
    Tilly

Blog Entries

I watched the Heroes of Comedy last night. The subject was Arthur Askey [a sort of hero of mine] his scool photograph reminded me of Tilly's, well scrubbed with stiff white collars. I looked him up on Wikie and checked out his school and their old-boys and came across this...

http://www.feniks.com/skb/about/about.html

He boasts of appearing on stage with many including Tilly's teacher duo.

Hi John, yes it's straight up. Bridie taught at Our Ladies in the 60's. She used to entertain us playing songs which she taught us to sing. One of the ones I remember her teaching us was Johnnie Todd which you may remember was later used as the theme tune to Z Cars.
    Jackie would also visit the class occasionally. Were you a fan of theirs ?
    Tilly
    I remember Jackie & Bridie visiting our junior school to give a concert in the 1960s.

Jacqui and Bridie feature in the early 60s Liverpool documentary 'Beat City'. They are seen playing in the Gregsons Well, top of Brunswick Road as too are the Spinners.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The Spinners actually ran a folk club based at Gregson's Well and Jacqui and Bridie were regular performers there.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast