Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Princes Dock Area

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    There is nothing special about any of them. None are iconic. Unity is about the best. Beethams are plain. The only decent building planned was Brunswick Quay, the rest are anywhere buildings

I wish I shared your view. I wish that was the case.
    As usual Waterways, soooo negative! These are iconic in their own right and together. Buildings don't have to be tall to be great. These projects are of the highest quality! Most cities in the world don't have really tall buildings, only major financial ones like London or New york. New york is a typical example of a city without character or uniqueness. It has a few iconic buildings, but most are dull, boring boxes of no architectural merit. Most american cities are like this, Liverpool is not. There is nowhere in the world that compares to Liverpool and I think these projects are helping to keep us unique.
    I know this won't change your opinion, but I thought I'd try anyway!

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

...!!! C'mon New York's great. Shame on you!

Anyway, like you AKI I share that optimism for the future. What we're seeing now is only the FIRST wave of concerted contemporary Liverpool city-making. This isn't the end. What we're doing right now is putting in the BASICS. This was a city which after 70 years of decline was barely a city at all, so that now the ship's started to turn it's hard to know where to start.

The stuff going up now, as good as some of it is, will facilitate the real iconic buildings of the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    As usual Waterways, soooo negative!
    I am realistic.

These are iconic in their own right and together.
    They are not. They are bland anywhere buildings, like you see in Croydon.

Buildings don't have to be tall to be great. These projects are of the highest quality! Most cities in the world don't have really tall buildings, only major financial ones like London or New york. New york is a typical example of a city without character or uniqueness. It has a few iconic buildings, but most are dull, boring boxes of no architectural merit. Most american cities are like this, Liverpool is not
    I can't believe anyone would write that.

There is nowhere in the world that compares to Liverpool and I think these projects are helping to keep us unique.
    Liverpool has no icon new buildings, apart from the Catholic cathedral. There are no iconic buldings proposed - none.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I am realistic.

They are not. They are bland anywhere buildings, like you see in Croydon.

I can't believe anyone would write that.

Liverpool has no icon new buildings, apart from the Catholic cathedral. There are no iconic buldings proposed - none.
    OK, thats your opinion, but I look at Liverpool from across the river and see a city like no other, in terms of both new and old buildings. Ofcourse there are buildings similair to ones in other cities, but on the whole the buildings are unique. You keep talking about iconic buildings. There are some proposed like the King Edward tower, possibly princess dock and Brunswisk Tower ( It could still go ahead), but Liverpool suffered years of massive decline and has only started regenerating within the past ten years, so to start talking about iconic buildings is premature. Over the years to come, people and companies' faith in Liverpool with grow, and the projects will get more and more iconic. Our regeneration is still in the very early stages, just wait and see what happens. Don't forget that Peel are planning Wirral Waters and something similair for Liverpool's north docks spread out over the next 30 years. This will be a project with truly iconic architecture.
    I do agree that Liverpool doesn't have many new iconic buildings, mainly old iconic buildings like the cathederals and the graces, but buildings don't have to be iconic to be well designed and interesting to look at. I feel that over the next couple of years, after 2008, Liverpool will see another surge in building projects of which more and more will be ' iconic'.
    That's my view.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    OK, thats your opinion, but I look at Liverpool from across the river and see a city like no other, in terms of both new and old buildings.
    The new buildings are pathetic. Note the word iconic and its meaning.

Of course there are buildings similair to ones in other cities, but on the whole the buildings are unique.
    Name me one apart from the Catholic Cathedral.

You keep talking about iconic buildings. There are some proposed like the King Edward tower, possibly princess dock
    Iconic? Please?

and Brunswisk Tower ( It could still go ahead),
    I hope, but I think I will see pigs flying over a renovated Royal Iris first.

but Liverpool suffered years of massive decline and has only started regenerating within the past ten years, so to start talking about iconic buildings is premature.
    We are in a construction boom that will not last. The most has to made of it. Grabbing any half cocked raw concrete slab is not the way.

Over the years to come, people and companies' faith in Liverpool with grow, and the projects will get more and more iconic.
    A nice prediction, however I don't have your faith. As I say, apart from the Brunswick Quay which was rejected by the city, nothing is iconic at all.

Our regeneration is still in the very early stages, just wait and see what happens. Don't forget that Peel are planning Wirral Waters and something similair for Liverpool's north docks spread out over the next 30 years. This will be a project with truly iconic architecture.
    Let's wait and see. I hope you are right.

I do agree that Liverpool doesn't have many new iconic buildings, mainly old iconic buildings like the cathederals and the graces, but buildings don't have to be iconic to be well designed and interesting to look at. I feel that over the next couple of years, after 2008, Liverpool will see another surge in building projects of which more and more will be ' iconic'.
    That's my view.
    At the current rate all of them will be stumped because of the obsession about views of the Liver and the cathedrals - people in Rock Ferry have first choice of views it seems.

how it once was?

Smile

The new buildings are pathetic. Note the word iconic and its meaning.

Name me one apart from the Catholic Cathedral.

Iconic? Please?

I hope, but I think I will see pigs flying over a renovated Royal Iris first.

We are in a construction boom that will not last. The most has to made of it. Grabbing any half cocked raw concrete slab is not the way.

A nice prediction, however I don't have your faith. As I say, apart from the Brunswick Quay which was rejected by the city, nothing is iconic at all.

Let's wait and see. I hope you are right.

At the current rate all of them will be stumped because of the obsession about views of the Liver and the cathedrals - people in Rock Ferry have first choice of views it seems.
    I agree with you about the buildings being cut down. I really don't see any problem with tall buildings and I am fed up with people who have nothing to do with Liverpool making huge decisions that are going to effect us for years to come i.e. Ruth Kelly!
    I like tall buildings and Brunswick Dock is an ideal site for talls. Her decision is rediculous and the reason I still have hope for the tower is that so many people and organisations disagree with her. As for this Rockferry thing, they don't pay Liverpool taxes therefore they have no say in what goes on here. I could understand if it was on their doorstep but it isn't. The way I see it, instead of an amazing cathederal to look at, they would have an amazing 21st Century skyscraper instead.
    I agree with alot of what you say, but I wish you and others would be a little less pesimistic. Yes there have been disappointments, but there have also been alot more successes. I believe if people are more optimistic about planned projects and really get behind them, then they will go ahead. If people just s##g things off from the get-go, and don't have faith in them being approved, then the projects will never materialise. Just try and be a bit more positive, especially about projects like the north docks etc.

B.T.W. Buildings I think are iconic : Both cathederals, Graces, St Georges Hall and surrounding buildings all of which are unique. Oh and Radio City Tower, only joking! Liverpool had alot more iconic buildings, most of which where destroyed in WW2. There are numerous books showing these buildings.
    Last edited by AK1; 12-18-2006 at 06:48 PM.

I agree with all those you listed as being iconic.

.. don't mind the Radio City tower. It gets a lot of stick sometimes (no pun intended) but I think it's doing no harm. It's there and it's ok.
    I couldn't imagine it not being there. It's part of the furniture now.

Blog Entries

RE: Radio City Tower. They should build from the base of the tower around the lift shaft to fatten the building up so the top doesn't stick out, so it becomes a big cylinder shape full of offices and a glass frontage to the top.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    RE: Radio City Tower. They should build from the base of the tower around the lift shaft to fatten the building up so the top doesn't stick out, so it becomes a big cylinder shape full of offices and a glass frontage to the top.
    Behave yourself Kev, make it into a borin cylinder?? it's a great shape- it says 'Liverpool.' I wouldn't mind another one, just loads taller.

Iconic, to me anyway, is the fountain at the back of office buildings of The Goree. The 60's one where the buckets fill up and hiss and tip over. I think it's a wonderful piece, and again IS Liverpool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Behave yourself Kev, make it into a borin cylinder?? it's a great shape- it says 'Liverpool.' I wouldn't mind another one, just loads taller.

Iconic, to me anyway, is the fountain at the back of office buildings of The Goree. The 60's one where the buckets fill up and hiss and tip over. I think it's a wonderful piece, and again IS Liverpool.
    just a thought TDE
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Great idea for a new development Kev, but leave the Holy Cross of St John's Precinct alone

I don't know about anyone else, but I see Liverpool itself as iconic. It is known the world over by millions of people. Our history, people, architecture, river, uniqueness, music and the general feeling you get whilst walking around make Liverpool an iconic city. Places like Manchester, Leeds etc have many positive aspects, but are not iconic. I believe that Liverpool is up there with places like London. There is nowhere else in the world like Liverpool.

Agreed.

Blog Entries

just a thought TDE
    I very good thought as well. One way to get a substantial tall in there, as it is already tall. A nice well clad cylinder would be far superior to the concrete pole that is there now. It could be a tapering cylinder, from top to bottom or bottom to top.

I like it.

how it once was?

MissInformed

i found this pic of an old 1960s postcard on scousehouse forum, and since you have to be a member to see it, I thought I would post it here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1967Carinthia.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	574  

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast