Thread: W. & G. Harrison, Tailors

Default W. & G. Harrison, Tailors

My father and his brother had a tailor's shop from before the last war (39?45)
    till sometime in the 1960's. Situated at 29 Kirkdale Road. Any memories/details/photographs would be most appreciated.
    I know this is a bit off-the-wall, but I'm continually amazed at the information that comes onto these forums, so I thought I'd give it a try.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Joge, I worked in the Clothing trade all my life, started in the mid fifties.
    Do not remember W. G. Harrison tailors, will make some enquiries for you, but not many tailors left anymore. Have you tried the records office in william Brown Library?

Thanks Samp,

Unfortunately I'm down in London, don't get up to the 'City of Dreams' as often as I'd like. Next visit I intend to explore records office.

Quote Originally Posted by joge View Post
    Thanks Samp,

Unfortunately I'm down in London, don't get up to the 'City of Dreams' as often as I'd like. Next visit I intend to explore records office.

Joge.

I friend of mine in the tailoring trade tells me that W. G. Harrison's moved from Kirkdale Rd to Stanley Rd. This would be due to the slum clearance during the 60's. He only remembers one of the partners who he describes as 'a realy nice old gentleman, one of the old school'. From the information he gave me the shop would be located on a stretch of Stanley Rd between Back Great Mersey St and Latham St. I have looked at a map of the area and would hazard a guess that the number of the shop would be between 70 and 100, the even numbers being on the right hand side of Stanley Rd as you leave Liverpool City Centre.

Hope this helps!

- Try looking on 'GEDS' website, he my have pictures of the area.

Samp,

What can I say ? you're a prince.

The 'Really nice gentleman' referred to was obviously my Uncle Wally.
    He really was one of the old school. He made me a three-piece suit in the early 60's. I was in Liverpool for about a week ? went to see him the day I got there and left a week later with a perfectly fitted suit ? the best set of clothes I ever wore. That was also the last time I had any contact with him ? deep regrets!

My father George left the business in the late 50's for financial reasons.

I always enjoyed my visits to the shop which was something like a time capsule from the 30's. I still use a large, heavy pair of tailor's scissors my father kept with him.

I shall certainly have a look at Ged's site.

Can't thank you enough for your time.

Kind regards

Thanks for the recommendation Samp but sadly Joge, I don't recall having any of the old Stanley Road this far down near Scottie end but best of luck, I've had a look on the records office own on line archive for you and don't see any either.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks for that Ged ? just spent a long while trolling through your images.
    Any chance you might have one of the area in Kirkdale Road, number 29, where the tailor's shop was? That would be the East side coming off Everton Valley.

Thanks again for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by joge View Post
    Thanks for that Ged ? just spent a long while trolling through your images.
    Any chance you might have one of the area in Kirkdale Road, number 29, where the tailor's shop was? That would be the East side coming off Everton Valley.

Thanks again for your time.

I believe the shop was opposite the car battery shop!

Joge, the tailors shops usually sent the orders to an outside tailor, hence my friend who still has a workshop in Liverpool knowing of your uncle Wally. If that was the case with your three piece suit, then the odds are that I may have actually cut it out. I used to do freelance cutting in them days!

There is a photo of that side of Kirkdale Road in the library archives but you cannot make out the individual shops.

Last edited by Samp; 02-11-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    If that was the case with your three piece suit, then the odds are that I may have actually cut it out.
    Get outta here!!!

I wish I still had that suit. It was such a beautiful outfit I might just have held onto it.

Within eighteen months of getting that suit, thanks to a dodgy girl-friend, we were temporarily residing in an uptown hotel in London. My car was parked outside, the night before I was about to flit. Came out in the morning and some unmentionable had broken in and helped himself to my complete wardrobe. Had to call in sick for a few days while I kitted myself out with an ill-fitting off-the-peg excuse of a "suit". That was another "Romance" that didn't last.

Thanks for the memories.
    Last edited by joge; 02-12-2009 at 03:35 PM.