Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titanic Memorial aka Marine Engine Room Men Memorial, Pier Head

Default Titanic Memorial aka Marine Engine Room Men Memorial, Pier Head

Hello folks

I am in town for a few days and had a walk early this morning round the Pier Head. Had a look at the Titanic Memorial known officially as the Marine Engine Room Men Memorial, because as Taffy wrote recently, since it's "Also felt to be originally a memorial to the lost Titanic engine room men. " Sir William Goscombe John (1860-1952), sculptor, 1916.

I find it impressive but I am surprised there is no sign in the area around the monument to tell anybody what the memorial is for. True, there is an inscription on the memorial that mentions the engine room men but makes no reference to the Titanic. Also saw what looked like a few chunks out of the memorial on its east and north facing sides which I attribute to shrapnel bomb damage.

It seems to me that a placard would help enlighten visitors as to the history of the memorial, whether it is meant to be for the men of the engine room of the Titanic, or is only known by tradition as being associated with the Titanic. It would appear to me that since the memorial was erected in 1916 it might also be meant to honor engine room men who died aboard ships in World War I. Possibly the plans for the memorial were in the works for a number of years and while the original plans called for it to honor the engine room men of the Titanic who died when the ship sank in April 1912, but by the time it came to unveil the memorial in 1916 it was felt to be more meaningful to make it more generic in honoring engine room men in general since the Great War was by then ongoing????

See another pic at "Men of the Machine Engine Room" where some of the shrapnel damage I mentioned above can be seen -- more Pier Head/Liverpool pics also through kate&drew's photostream.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Lovely pictures.

I agree, there should be signs up explaing what monuments and statues are for. i can't even think of a website with them all on.

but anyway ... hope you enjoy your stay here, have a great time and i'm sure you will have lots of fun
    Don't dream it ... be it !

Thanks, Malc.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you're back in the 'pool Chris. Are you here long? Does anything impress you, or depresses you about the city.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Glad to hear you're back in the 'pool Chris. Are you here long? Does anything impress you, or depresses you about the city.
    Thanks, Pablo. I like some of the changes but not others. I don't like those shoebox buildings they've put at the Pier Head... but as my mate Geoff says (ex-Rose Lane School like myself, now in Fareham, Hants), at least they're better than that bloody Cloud thing they wanted to build that looked like a deflated football!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks, Pablo. I like some of the changes but not others. I don't like those shoebox buildings they've put at the Pier Head... but as my mate Geoff says (ex-Rose Lane School like myself, now in Fareham, Hants), at least they're better than that bloody Cloud thing they wanted to build that looked like a deflated football!

Chris
    True, I don't like them myself, but don't dislike them neither. Just think it coulda been better. Still, reckon most things can be done better. Any other observations?

Blog Entries

Alright Chris, hope u enjoy your stay back in Liverpool matey
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I watched a programme last week on how Liverpool was built !, it was wonderful, and I didnt realise how many 1sts and biggest in the world we had, I think we should put plaques etc up all over the city to celebrate our wonderful heritage and inform visitors to the city !.
    Hope you enjoy your stay Chris XX

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    I watched a programme last week on how Liverpool was built !, it was wonderful, and I didnt realise how many 1sts and biggest in the world we had, I think we should put plaques etc up all over the city to celebrate our wonderful heritage and inform visitors to the city !.
    Hope you enjoy your stay Chris XX
    On Yo! Liverpool: Facts & Achievements
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    True, I don't like them myself, but don't dislike them neither. Just think it coulda been better. Still, reckon most things can be done better. Any other observations?
    Hi Pablo

Thanks for asking for my further impressions of the 'Pool as it is today.

I was walking along the new canal at the Pier Head yesterday morning and noticed a long-necked bird flying overhead. At first thought it was a heron, which I am used to seeing in the U.S. around the Chesapeake Bay/Baltimore-D.C. area where I live. It turned out to be a swan and was making a kind of squeaking noise as it flew, so could I suppose have been a whistling swan conceivably. I think it's grand that such wildlife is encouraged by the developments and cleanup of waterways. Though looking down I did see juice containers in the water, so it's not all great.

Could I be correct that as I was standing outside the Crowne Plaza smoking a Hamlet cigar at midnight that the clock on the Liver Building only struck "four" not "twelve"???? I had not had that much drink either. I believe that I have heard that a clock that is undergoing maintenance or needs maintenance may strike an odd number. Also noticed that the east-facing clock was either stopped or was showing a different time to the west-facing clock which was showing the correct time, 4:15 pm as I came back tot he hotel this afternoon.

Donna and I also went up to the Liverpool FC museum at Anfield this afternoon. A fine experience... brought back a lot of memories. I used to live on Anfield Road as a toddler. Can remember Billy Liddell playing and also when he brought his two twin sons to enroll them at Rose Lane school and how the boys of the school mobbed the corridors to see him... local hero. Was disappointed though that there were several lads of 6-7 years or so running wild round the museum spoiling things a bit for visitors who wanted to enjoy the exhibits and videos. Ugh. They probably needed a guard to shoo them away and straighten up. Another thing that makes you wish for the old days.

I find myself navigating around Liverpool by guesswork given the number of closed-off or one-way streets. We went to a poetry reading at the Fly in the Loaf on Hardman Street last night. Reading went well enough but the downstairs was mobbed, sound a number of decibels too high, though that did not affect the reading which had nice variety and was well attended. Besides Donna and myself from the USA there was an 83-year-old poet who had come in from New Zealand. Felt a bit exposed when we walked out early 10 PM from your flight the day before and did not like some of the types on the street. Still we got fish and chips from a shop across from the bar, got in our car parked in Rodney Street without incident. I was wise enough to not try to drive through the city centre but went south round the Anglican Cathedral to Gambier Terrace and take Upper Parly down to the Dock Road to get us to the Crowne Plaza where we enjoyed fish and chips watching TV.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Chris.So the swan was the only good thing you found,think Ive been looking at the wrong city all these years.Surely you must have seen at least 1 positive thing,

Blog Entries

Nice observations Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by loudon View Post
    Chris.So the swan was the only good thing you found,think Ive been looking at the wrong city all these years.Surely you must have seen at least 1 positive thing,
    Hey, the city itself is a positive thing. Great great city, the reason I keep coming back. Delighted to be staying at the Pier Head by the Liver Buildings, and witness once again the excellent sweeping view over the Mersey. The buildings and streets I remember. Was present this evening for a folk concert, country and western gig by a club gathered in Ma Boyle's by St. Nicholas's Church, fantastic free entertainment. The Guinnesses weren't bad either. Cheers, mate.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Hey, the city itself is a positive thing. Great great city, the reason I keep coming back. Delighted to be staying at the Pier Head by the Liver Buildings, and witness once again the excellent sweeping view over the Mersey. The buildings and streets I remember. Was present this evening for a folk concert, country and western gig by a club gathered in Ma Boyle's by St. Nicholas's Church, fantastic free entertainment. The Guinnesses weren't bad either. Cheers, mate.

Chris
    Well, sounds like someone is enjoying their return to Liverpool. Have a Guiness for me Chris.

Blog Entries

Hi Chris,
    I'm an ex-engine room man myself, but have never seen that inscription on the Titanic memorial. I'm up next month for a Harrison Line reunion and will take a look then.
    Hope your trip goes well.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast