Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Good post Captain. Interesting but sad.
    When it was obligatory to eat fish on a Friday and we turned our noses up at it. Little did we know the dangers and hardships men of the sea went through.

Don't know how well this will come out but this was my first ship, the now departed MV Lincolnshire, part of Bibby Line. Very fond memories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lincolnshire1972.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	14894  

Blog Entries

Nice photo Gynsman.

Blog Entries

This is a Charles Dixon work, It was a study of the Arcadian and would be used as a poster for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. The vessel looks like it is approaching port, the sun is setting in the west behind the hills and the smoke is gently curling upwards from her funnel making it look like she is running at a slow speed.An altogether glorious painting,
    BrianD

Name:	Posters and paintings (Medium) (2).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	14911  

Blog Entries

Nice one Brian.

Blog Entries

That is the real price of Fish, The price for the fish on the dockside to the trawler men was peanuts compared to the prices that the mongers charged to the customers.

Blog Entries

I went to Fleetwood last weekend and went to see the Jacinta and take the Photos. Unfortunately it was closed to visitors so couldnt get onboard. Maybe when the tourist season opens.
    I took a few photos from the dockside.
    Below is a write up about her, it is from the `Fleetwood Motor Trawler` site.

M.V. Jacinta – FD159
    Fleetwood Trawler – Jacinta FD159
    Official Number: 341758
    Built: 1972 at Wallsend by Clelands Shipbuilders Ltd
    Yard Number: 322
    Gross Tonnage: 599
    Net Tonnage: 178
    Length: 142′ 8” ft
    Breadth: 32′ 1” ft
    Draught: 12′ 10” ft
    Owner: J Marr and Sons Ltd

History
    1982: Transferred to Hull.

February 1990: Skippered by Dennis Beaumont, Jacinta set a British record catch with £270,516

09/02/1995: Left Hull under tow for Fleetwood to become the focal point of a maritime museum after engine repairs were judged too costly.

Notes
    As a trawler working out of Fleetwood, The Jacinta became the most famous stern trawler of her generation. She returned to port with record catches and soon covered her building costs many times over. After years at sea, her engines failed and she seemed doomed for the scrapyard. However, a group of local Fleetwood people rallied to save her and she was bought from her owners for just one pound, and was towed home to Fleetwood. She was then fitted with a new engine to enable her to go to sea and attend heritage festivals

Name:	my pictures 011.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	646.2 KB 
ID:	14924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 012.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	608.3 KB 
ID:	14925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 014.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	638.0 KB 
ID:	14926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 015.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	633.4 KB 
ID:	14927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 017.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	642.8 KB 
ID:	14929  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 018.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	637.5 KB 
ID:	14930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 019.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	623.9 KB 
ID:	14931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 020.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	644.0 KB 
ID:	14932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my pictures 021.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	14933  

Blog Entries

This is the last of the fishing boats in my collection. The wooden steam drifter Ocean Harvest YH305 ,built in 1913 for Bloomfields Ltd. of Great Yarmouth,shown hauling her nets. As hundreds of other fishing vessels, she was requisitioned for naval duties during World War 1, but thereafter she remained with Bloomfields until July 13th 1939 , when she was wrecked at Rattray Head, her crew being rescued by the Peterhead lifeboat.
    This was painted by them Yarmouth artist Kenneth Luck,
    BrianD

Name:	Posters and paintings (Medium).jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	14934  

Blog Entries

Nice pictures fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Nice photo Gynsman.
    Thanks. Took it myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gynsman View Post
    Thanks. Took it myself.
    You should post some more up. You got a good eye for a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by gynsman View Post
    Thanks. Took it myself.
    It is a good photo, really professional. How did you take it Gynsman, from a helicopter? You've certainly captured the motion and speed of the ship.

Pity you resized it so small.

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    This is a Charles Dixon work, It was a study of the Arcadian and would be used as a poster for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company.
    It's a good painting Brian and the artist has kept everything in balance even though the dominant colour is yellow. Charles Dixon is obviously born to it.
    I'm talentless when it comes to painting, I would have to stick with blue sky and green sea for it to seem right, even though it's a sunset.

Thanks for all your ship postings, really appreciate them.

Oddsocks

Blog Entries

From the excellent site, Fleetwood and Wyre on line site

Photo from the site and the excellent Painting from Steve Farrow - Grimsby Based Trawler Artist, the sea is so real..

More of the high price for Fish. the RED FALCON of Fleetwood

HOME. About Us . Newsdesk The MagazineAdvertising Contents Fleetwood NewsFeaturesFleetwood HistoryAnnouncements.History
    Trawler Tales

Links
    Subscribe Thursday, April 15, 2010
    Browse > Home / Fleetwood History, Trawler Tales / Red Falcon Red Falcon

Mid-December 1959.

The week before Christmas and the whole of Fleetwood waited.

A trawler was overdue… and a silence descended on the port.
    For days the sea around Skerry – Vore in the South Minch was scoured for the 449-ton Red Falcon and her crew of 19 in a massive sea and air search

Families waited with mounting anxiety – eyes scanning the horizon in vain and hope. But the Red Falcon was lost – presumed to have been overwhelmed in heavy seas as she made for home.

Wreckage – including a rocket container box, pieces of wood believed to be floorboards on a lifeboat and two lifebuoys stamped “Red Falcon” - was washed up 25 miles north of the vessel’s last known position.

Lost with all hands – leaving 25 children fatherless and a town too stunned to celebrate Christmas.

The Red Falcon – built in 1936 – was the last coal burning trawler in the lago Steam Trawler Co. Ltd. Fleet. She was formerly named Cape Barfleur.

Her last voyage started on November 25th 1959 when she sailed for the Icelandic fishing grounds, leaving on the same tide as the Red Sabre.

The two vessels fished together at Iceland for most of the trip and turned for home at the same time.

Red Falcon was skippered by Alexander Hardy, (45) of Broadway, Fleetwood. A most experienced skipper who undertook minesweeping duties during the war.

He was in contact with Sabre’s skipper (Tom McKernan) and the skipper of the Red Knight (John Mecklenburgh) during the voyage home. Both men later thought the falcon had been engulfed by a tidal wave.

Skipper McKernan had been about 70 miles ahead of the Falcon and Skipper Mecklenburgh about 150 miles behind. Both reported severe gales – with winds gusting to 100mph. Skipper McKernan advised the Falcon to avoid the tidal race off Islay which Skipper Hardy acknowledged.

The area was known to be treacherous with swirling tides.

But relatives had received wires from the ship saying she would be docking Monday night.

As was the custom, many went to meet her in on that Monday – December 14th. It was not unusual for ships to be delayed by bad weather and families again went down to meet Falcon on the Tuesday.

The radio silence from the vessel was ominous and anxiety mounted. “We fear the worst,” said Captain E.D.W. Lawford,

DSO, RN, managing director of the owners.

And as the terrible news began to sink in, the “mission men” continued their task of comforting the bereaved. The Superintendent of the Fleetwood branch of the Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen, Mr Duncan Brown, and the Port Missioner Mr.G. Wright, visited homes.

All but one of the crew – Fireman Joseph Mair of Portsmouth – lived in Fleetwood.

The crew list was given as:

Skipper Alexander Hardy (45), Broadway, Mate George Gloss (59), Gordon Road, Chief Engineer Jim Carter (39), Macbeth Road, Second engineer William Irvine (45), Bramley Avenue, Bosun Jim Gorst, (38), Wingrove Road, Deckhands Joseph Blackburn (21), Radcliffe Road, Jack McDaid (27) North Street, Jim Read (26), Willow Street, Edward Archer (31), Belmont Road, George Harlin (24), Chatsworth Avenue, Joseph Riches (26), Knowsley Gate, Jim Morley (27), Heathfield Road, William Deery (36), Bold Street, Jack Preston (16), Radcliffe Road, Wireless Operator William Cooper (46), Heathfield Road, Cook George McLoughlin (44) Witton Grove, Assistant Cook John Coultas (20), Abbotts Walk, Fireman John Smith (33), Whinfield Avenue.

Within days an appeal fund for dependants was set up by the Mayor of Fleetwood (Councillor Jim Shaw,JP). Owners, lago, started it with a £1,000 donation and the fund eventually topped £20,000, with cash pouring in from all over the country.

A cheque for £10.10s. Was received from the Church of Scotland on the island of Tiree, Inner Hebrides. An accompanying letter said the loss of the Falcon so near their shores had made a deep impression on the community. It was on the rocky shores of isle of Mull and one from people in Oban.

Seven months after the loss an inquiry opened at Fleetwood Town Hall. It was revealed that the last radio contact with the Falcon was at 7am on December 14th. The Sabre’s skipper called up the Falcon and reported the wind as force 10 between Skerryvore and Rathlin Island. He said he had had a very rough passage but was now under the lee of Rathlin. Falcon’s skipper said he was abeam of Skerryvore Light and he would avoid the tide race.

A few minutes later the Red Knight had also been in radio contact with the Falcon and heard she was in bad weather with a “confused” sea.

The Sabre and Knight continued their homeward journey and no real anxiety was felt until Knight – which had been astern of the Falcon – docked at midnight on Tuesday, December 15th. A 3-day search was launched.

Both skippers thought a tidal wave had swamped the Falcon.

The inquiry believed it was difficult to ascertain the cause of the loss but the most probable cause was that the ship was “overwhelmed”.

And its loss left a town overwhelmed with shock and grief.

Written by The Editor · Filed Under Fleetwood History, Trawler Tales

Name:	redfalcon.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	14942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Falcon painting.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	14949  

Blog Entries

You may have guessed by now that my favourite marine artist is Charles Dixon. Here is another of his paintings of the London river and it is entitled quite simply "The Working Thames". It is signed and dated 1889.It feels like dusk and there is a fog coming on,it's going to be another murky night ,
    BrianD

Name:	Posters and paintings 004 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	14953  

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast