Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

Just a thought , how many visitors have there been to the albert dock?

Quote Originally Posted by grekko View Post
    Just a thought , how many visitors have there been to the albert dock?
    Do you think the Albert dock is being upstaged a little these days ?
    I have to admit to not visiting there in good while now. I have been quite a lot to the water front, but not actually into the Albert Dock where the shops and cafes are. I can't remember the last time I went in there. I seem to have forgotten about it somehow - there is so much going on elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Do you think the Albert dock is being upstaged a little these days ?
    I have to admit to not visiting there in good while now. I have been quite a lot to the water front, but not actually into the Albert Dock where the shops and cafes are. I can't remember the last time I went in there. I seem to have forgotten about it somehow - there is so much going on elsewhere.
    Great to see crowds back down by the river isn't it?

There is one figure you can believe George the first hour before it was officially opened there were 400 plus staff in there, as they printed 400 invitations. After that you think of a number as there is nobody counting.
    Did you know there is a bus stop in Kirkby that has 2,000 visitors a day ?
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Joe and Linda. You have both been down to the new museum. Was it empty. Just a thought because George can estimate 80 thou from the comfort of his armchair

I went to the Albert dock last Sunday after my walk around the museum and the piermasters house and every cafe seat was taken and the gift shops were rammed with tourists - but these people have always come down there you know - always.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

yes, the museum has been chocka.

I know someone who works there too and they said it's been mad in there.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

.. just thinking now, must make an effort to visit the Albert Dock soon.

Wasn't a hype conspiracy theorist was it perchance Linda?

That person doesn't think it wasn't the Titanic that sunk as well do they or that Dodi and Di were on it and those killed in Paris were impersonators???

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Spotted this today in the Vauxhall area through a living room (or is it kitchen) window.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was George with a keen eye or two trained on the new museum to see how quiet it all is.

Oh the crystal chandeliers light up the paintings on your wall
    The marble Statutes are standing statley in the hall
    But a paper smile only last a while and then it fades away
    When the news wears off on your crystal chandelier

Unfortunately (for him) but not Liverpool, this is what he saw. Bah humbug.

(Please use the scroll bar to see EVEN MORE people ha ha)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Oh the crystal chandeliers light up the paintings on your wall
    The marble Statutes are standing statley in the hall
    But a paper smile only last a while and then it fades away
    When the news wears off on your crystal chandelier

Why would someone from Liverpool on a forum and a thread that bigs up Liverpool take delight on wanting to see something fail, that's what I can't understand. It's here now so embrace it. Wait until the new galleries open, I know people who haven't even been at all yet and want to see the FULL experience. The bad news for them is, it'll still be chocker block and they'll have to go like me, time and time again. I'm just glad i'm not so obstinate as to miss out on this very welcome addition to the city. But each to their own eh!

Ged,I am not impressed with the new museum,we did not need it and redevelopement of the city center seems to be more important than the living conditions on the outskirts of the city center.

Does that piece of junk benefit youth? because youth has nothing to entertain themselves outside the city center,they the developers will not plough any money into youth activity centers in many areas of Liverpool.

I keep hearing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IT'S DOOMED.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	22549

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Ged,I am not impressed with the new museum,we did not need it and redevelopement of the city center seems to be more important than the living conditions on the outskirts of the city center.

Does that piece of junk benefit youth? because youth has nothing to entertain themselves outside the city center,they the developers will not plough any money into youth activity centers in many areas of Liverpool.
    You have a skewed notion of things George.

When Europe, the government, the lottery fund, NWDA or whoever designate certain money to a dept whether it be war, foreign aid, the arts, housing or whatever, then that's where it's ring fenced for. How come we can afford 10m for the businesses looted and burnt if we're skint. How come we can afford foreign aid if we're skint. It may be the wrong way to do things but that's the way it is done. The city centre does not suffer because of this, nor private money of Peel or Grosvenor or anyone else.

There are plenty of youths in the new museum, in fact there is a little Liverpool gallery just for them and plenty of educational things for them to see and do in there. Interactive push button things, Q&A placards etc - just like the World museum has become child friendly and is seeing the benefits. The council and youth clubs have nothing to do with this - it's very separate - another issue. You can still like this and still want to have more youth clubs - it's not a one or the other matter.

I think that is the problem Ged there is too many visitors so you are not able to look at objects in comfort.
    My grandchildren said the same thing ,that is one of the reasons they didn`t like it.

I am a bit concerned, that looking at the Central library plans it looks like they are going the same way as the museum sweeping staircases etc,and less than half the books as the old one.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Yes, this futuristic look may be 'sort of' ok in a new design like the museum but I didn't personally see anything wrong with a lot in the Central library. I don't by any means let the new museum escape totally, I think the galleries could have been bigger and that screen on the way into the peoples republic is so popular that hoardes of people stop to watch it andit clogs the entrance up, even one of the volunteer staff members mentioned this to me as how is he supposed to keep people moving when something is put there for them to watch. Then the Anglia fiasco of course. However, as a building I think we did need it but it should have been bigger, maybe the same size again at basement level but for the river/water levels. It's sure better than just more pavement - that brings nobody down there.

It's pretty rudimentary, the counting of people in museums. A sensor basically counts each time an infa-red line is broken on the door. Sort of like goal line technology. If you go more than once, you do get counted again.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast